Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Action 3 - Files Won't Play on Laptop
3941 15 2023-2-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NickRaven
lvl.1

France

Hello everyone,

I just got an OSMO Action 3 and after running a few tests, I got a major issue - files taken out of the SD card to my laptop will lag, freeze and act corrupted. Below is a picture of what happens - after a clear picture for one second, this happens over and over.

The footage plays perfectly fine when I play it on the camera itself. Please also notice that none of the files will play in Premiere Pro. The audio will load but the video is a no-no.

I'm using a gaming ASUS purchased in 2020 with a GeForce GTX 850M if that helps. I also downloaded the HEVC codec and that didn't help. The SD card I use is a Lexar 128GB V30 (picture below as well). Regular 4K files play great on this latpop when recording with my phone btw.

Any help would be appreciated as I'd hate to return to camera. It's a great tool but, sadly, totally unusable for me for now.

Thank you for reading me.

Nick

Sans titre-1.jpg 20230202_17142231.jpg

2023-2-2
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Nick. Try changing the compression on the camera from h265 to h264. It’s somewhere in the menu. Some devices still have problems with H265.

Try that first.
2023-2-2
Use props
NickRaven
lvl.1

France

Iancraig10 Posted at 2-2 08:45
Hi Nick. Try changing the compression on the camera from h265 to h264. It’s somewhere in the menu. Some devices still have problems with H265.

Try that first.

Thank you for your help.

I tried doing what you suggest but I can't find that option in the menu. Are you sure you can actually do this?
2023-2-2
Use props
NickRaven
lvl.1

France

Ahhhh, found it. Time to run the test in h264 now. Thanks again

EDIT : Problem solved. Thank you SO MUCH. Appreciate that a lot!

2023-2-2
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

what was the problem d onot leave all hanging, curious minds like to know?
2023-2-2
Use props
NickRaven
lvl.1

France

Fishycomics Posted at 2-2 10:58
what was the problem d onot leave all hanging, curious minds like to know?

That was exactly what lancraig10 suggested - Issue with the h265 compression so I had to switch to h264. All good now
2023-2-2
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NickRaven Posted at 2-2 09:57
Ahhhh, found it. Time to run the test in h264 now. Thanks again

EDIT : Problem solved. Thank you SO MUCH. Appreciate that a lot!

Great news.

H265 is a really efficient form of compression, but some machines can’t uncompress and play it on the fly. Makes for bigger file sizes on your card though by using H264.

I used to have an editor that stuttered on H265 but perfect on H264 a few years ago.
2023-2-2
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

that is why they make proxies, or called shadow files,  the original stays on the machine and the proxies are used, if you use for example Resolve by Davinchi, Blackmagic,

you can  work with the originals, glad you got it resolved
2023-2-2
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

If you have a Windows laptop, people have indicated that you need to install HEVC codecs in order to play them back correctly. See here (post #2):

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 185&pid=2969466

My Mac is coming up 8 years old and still can play H265 videos at 1080p. Some video players are also better than others for playing back H265. QuickTime player seems to be better at it than some others I have.
2023-2-2
Use props
lutzmix
lvl.4
Germany

for windows try
K lite mega codec pack
2023-2-2
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

if codecs can not be found and you like to load a program calledvideoprocvlogger it will do a check and offer some stuff like a video editor.     program is free,    you may like it.
2023-2-3
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, NickRaven. Thank you for reaching out. Glad to read that it has been sorted out. Iancraig10 is correct, transcoding may sometimes fail if the player/device is not compatible. If the video format is H265, please transcode it to H264. Thank you for your kind understanding.
2023-2-4
Use props
djiuser_ODoFL8mlFalF
New

Australia

Iancraig10 Posted at 2023-2-2 12:03
Great news.

H265 is a really efficient form of compression, but some machines can’t uncompress and play it on the fly. Makes for bigger file sizes on your card though by using H264.

Hi Lancraig,

I just bought Action 4 today and had the same issue, and many thanks for your advice it worked and solved the problem!
Just  one more question, when syaing 'some machines' that means the computer or laptop is that correct? Just want to make sure 'machine' doesn't mean our OMOS Action 3/4 (wouldn't be the problem of the DJI device)...Otherwise will have to return it and change to something else LOL.

Thanks!
3-23 08:41
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_ODoFL8mlFalF Posted at 3-23 08:41
Hi Lancraig,

I just bought Action 4 today and had the same issue, and many thanks for your advice it worked and solved the problem!

Yes, by 'some machines', I mean the computer. Some just can't cope with uncompressing h265 so you'll have to wait until you get a new computer in order to be able to use it.
3-23 10:06
Use props
Mikishots
lvl.1
Canada

osmonauta Posted at 2023-2-2 14:08
If you have a Windows laptop, people have indicated that you need to install HEVC codecs in order to play them back correctly. See here (post #2):

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=284185&pid=2969466

VLC Media Player is another that has no issues at all with H.265 - I swear, that thing will play anything.
3-25 10:13
Use props
djiuser_hCLfrpGgFUY2
New

United Arab Emirates

Hello dji i buy camera dji action 3 i shoot some video but video not play not dawning to my samsung device ?
1 connection problem
2 video coad not match i dawnloa 4k/ 25

I i should ? I weast my money around 1500 AED ? Wrost device
4-13 14:28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules