Mini 2 - 360 Photos - Can GPS Metadata be added?
1544 6 2023-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_mzAX1hzqKuyr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 640046 ft
United States

Hello!

This post is two fold - 1. A request for DJI and 2.  A request for a known workflow from the community.

I ran into a problem that I have been working to overcome, with limited success, but I am hoping for a better way.  

When I take a photosphere with my Mini2, the individual shots have GPS tags, but the final photro sphere file does not have GPS meta data.  I was getting around this limitation by attempting to line up the photo with the exact location using the IOS app for Google StreetView, but since this app is going away, this work around will no longer work.  My next work-around to get the photo spheres to Google Maps will be to use the jpg2vid tool that is part of the UL2GSV toolset.  The downside of jpg2vid workflow is the photospheres need to contain gps lat/long and optionally elevation.  so I need the coordinates of the photosphere inside the metadata of the file.  

1. A request for DJI - Can you add the GPS coords from one of the component photos to the final file when exporting  360/pano/photo spheres?  I can see the GPS coords in the individual files, but the software does not include the gps data in the final result.  This would be hugely helpful so we do not need to go back and individually tag each output file.  

2. Has anyone in the community established a workflow that is simple and/or scripted to add GPS data to photospheres?  I attempted to script it, but the file timestamps on the pano's are not perfectly aligned with the component photos as the pano file is built when viewing/exporting.  

2023-2-3
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi,  djiuser_mzAX1hzqKuyr. Thank you for reaching out and sharing your experience. We'd like you to know that we appreciate your valuable suggestions and we understand how convenient it will be if GPS coordinates are added to the final photo already. We will forward your concern to our related department. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-2-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Slightly off topic but have you tied to google maps yet?   Google StreetView app is going away in march and the maps app is the replacement,  thing is though it doesn't appear to use the gps data in the image so you have to manually position it.  
2023-2-4
Use props
DJIPilotRookie
lvl.1
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-4 03:05
Slightly off topic but have you tied to google maps yet?   Google StreetView app is going away in march and the maps app is the replacement,  thing is though it doesn't appear to use the gps data in the image so you have to manually position it.

yup!

The problem with maps is you can add photos to a "place" but most of my photos are not of any specific place, but rather some random location that I found interesting.  Google Maps does not allow you to place blue bubbles at all.  For example - https://goo.gl/maps/JfRNEYUW6971k5Ss8
2023-2-4
Use props
DJIPilotRookie
lvl.1
United States

On a related note, I have built out a script that uses Hugin and ExifTool to take a group of photos, stitch a pano, and include the exif GPS coords....still working some bugs out but I will post here when complete.  One of the benefits of not using the DJI app in my process is the pano's are far higher resolution, which is nice, and of course, it includes the GPS data in the exif metadata.   
2023-2-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJIPilotRookie Posted at 2-4 08:12
yup!

The problem with maps is you can add photos to a "place" but most of my photos are not of any specific place, but rather some random location that I found interesting.  Google Maps does not allow you to place blue bubbles at all.  For example - https://goo.gl/maps/JfRNEYUW6971k5Ss8

Thanks.  That’s exactly what i was experiencing.     Hopefully they fix that soon.  
2023-2-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJIPilotRookie Posted at 2-4 08:14
On a related note, I have built out a script that uses Hugin and ExifTool to take a group of photos, stitch a pano, and include the exif GPS coords....still working some bugs out but I will post here when complete.  One of the benefits of not using the DJI app in my process is the pano's are far higher resolution, which is nice, and of course, it includes the GPS data in the exif metadata.

There was a tutorial for that here - https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=261205
2023-2-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules