2023-2-13
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

djiuser_SQRq6Ostduof Posted at 2-13 09:37
My original 09/2022 batch osmo action 3 had focus issues so I returned it and waited a few months.

Just received a 12/2022 batch osmo action 3, and it still has focus issues. It's just no where close to as sharp as my Go Pro Hero 6.

12/2022 should be a good unit, atleast since all units since 11/2022 is sharp.
Do you have any footage with it to show us?
I don't doubt you, but just want to take note while watching.
2023-2-13
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Fishycomics Posted at 2-13 08:34
No I am pointing out that there is NO RELIVANT TEAM!

smoke and mirrors

This one is sharper and even have 6K native

insta360.png
2023-2-13
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 2-13 10:44
This one is sharper and even have 6K native

I must admit, it's very tempting.

I don't think that the closer focus with Action has really been fixed. Their 'in camera' sharpening update made it look better superficially, but it's still not quite right. I always feel 'uncomfortable' with the footage that I get.

Looking at others' footage shows the same close up. I don't think that those people actually notice it, but fast movement just covers it up. So using it as a pure action cam makes sense but I would rather have a sharper picture with motion blur than an unsharp picture with motion blur. So for times when anything is still, it's just dead sharp. The softness of the Action is always there as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not prepared to go through a 'dance routine' with Osmo. They have the expertise and very experienced people who must know what is going on and I feel that this third one isn't going to improve beyond what we have now with the update.So mine is going to be sold or given away I think because frankly, I won't be using it any more. No matter how great the interface is, the picture quality of any camera is paramount and it just doesn't get to the Hero 11 quality as far as I'm concerned.

I sat with the Action, thinking that there would be a real fix but it hasn't really happened. I can sharpen in post and don't need that in-camera sharpening. It just doesn't alter the closer focus and their experts MUST know that. This thing about 'action-cams' don't focus closer because they're an action cam doesn't apply to the GoPro. The Osmo experts chose a lens configuration and that's what we have.

I went out with the Hero 11 today and it's sharp as a razor. I don't feel that it's lacking, but I do with the Action 3 every time I use it. So I have decided after fighting with it since it first came out for four months now, to give in with it and use the GoPro. The 11 is one of their better ones I think.

Having said that, the Insta 4K looks excellent and is going out at £249 in UK. Camera only. So tempting!

So in short, I don't really think that the focus issue has really been resolved and it's wishful thinking so I think that's about it from me for this forum because I won't have it for much longer I think.

Just one last thing, if you sell an Action 3 on, what do you do with the registration? Do you somehow deregister it  and it goes back to whatever state or do you just factory reset? I'm guessing the reset is the best option, but hopefully a new owner can then fight with Mimo to register it in their name?

2023-2-13
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 2-13 10:44
This one is sharper and even have 6K native

I bought that when  it first came out, 6K  and external software to stabilize the footage, he screen was too small or   not to my liking  and constant switching  the  modules

was at $269.99 when I had one
2023-2-13
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Iancraig10 Posted at 2-13 12:23
I must admit, it's very tempting.

I don't think that the closer focus with Action has really been fixed. Their 'in camera' sharpening update made it look better superficially, but it's still not quite right. I always feel 'uncomfortable' with the footage that I get.

I understand you very well, and the GoPro 11 looks like a really good camera. But I personally never think that GoPro has reached the top when it comes to sharpness.
Have calculated on the OA3 and concluded that it is physically impossible to have sharpness from 30cm to infinity. Don't know about the GoPro, but it can't deliver sharp focus at infinity either.
In the photography world, there is something called the Circle of Confusion. It is from old film days, where what is slightly out of focus is good enough and will not be seen as easily as not in focus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_confusion

I'm not trying to convince you to either keep or sell the OA3 and/or buy the ONE RS.

As you know I ordered the ONE RS, actually had to re-order it today from another store as the cheapest store took too long to get it in stock. Fortunately, I persuaded them to sell at the same price (price match).
So I hope to receive it by Friday.
Want to keep you updated - show you clips from it if you're interested in watching?
Regarding OA3, I have found that you can film in 4:3 (same as GP11 advertises) to either crop to 16:9 or 9:16 (Shorts, Reels, TikTok etc). And that you will get more in the video than if the camera itself were to crop to, for example, 16:9 (tested with both Wide and Ultra Wide).
Actually in the process of making a video about this, and how to do it in post production. Which I thought I would post here on the forum.

Regarding OA3, I think a solution is to set the focus even if someone is not happy, so it will be sharp on the face and can be used for vlogging. Looks like Tamara's is good enough and she likes it very much cf. her latest video.
2023-2-13
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Fishycomics Posted at 2-13 13:27
I bought that when  it first came out, 6K  and external software to stabilize the footage, he screen was too small or   not to my liking  and constant switching  the  modules

was at $269.99 when I had one

For the price it is a bargain, and I tend to use it as secondary camera for my videos since I think my old OA need to have some break sometimes (Never going to sell it because I love it).
The 6K is not for me, there is like no codecs for MP4 or MOV containers that support it.
But overall it have really good video quality for the good price.

Modular system is time consuming indeed, but I have no plan of getting 360 mod with it.
2023-2-13
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

agree.  my OA love it the battery is wearing finally.  With Insta,  you can replace  any of the three parts o the camera, DJI, good luck
2023-2-13
Use props
djiuser_SQRq6Ostduof
lvl.1

United States

johansenfoto Posted at 2-13 10:41
12/2022 should be a good unit, atleast since all units since 11/2022 is sharp.
Do you have any footage with it to show us?
I don't doubt you, but just want to take note while watching.

Here's someone else with a new camera (11/2022) that is also out of focus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMGm6en-Nag

Mine was 12/2022. It's better than the 09/2022 camera I had first, but it's still not in focus.
https://i.imgur.com/UG70AyS.jpg
2023-2-14
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

djiuser_SQRq6Ostduof Posted at 2-14 08:51
Here's someone else with a new camera (11/2022) that is also out of focus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMGm6en-Nag

He did a good test there, and big difference from his fixed camera to the new one.

I can clearly see your image looks also soft.
But I just want to mention that OA3 do add a lot of softening (noise reduction) in low light that makes it less sharp. So outside in good light is the best way to test sharpness.
Not that I need you to go outside lol but just mention it
2023-2-14
Use props
Karo Cann
lvl.1
United States

i just bought a bundle and got the october batch. can you guys tell if its out of focus?

youtube.com/watch?v=TwNi1TFswTs
youtube.com/watch?v=sjpYxB48PMc
2023-2-14
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 246194 ft
Bulgaria

As I guessed at the beginning of the focus dramas a few months ago - this problem will be solved with the release of action 4
2023-2-16
Use props
SLiWooDy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 126234 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mine was manufactured 11/22 , sent off to be repaired for focus issue.
2023-2-17
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

best of luck in the replacement
2023-2-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules