1263 9 2023-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_LfB5WDbdvwYn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1526788 ft
  • >>>
Canada

The Mini series have evolved so much, it's incredible! I owned all version of DJI mini drone yet, and the mini 3 pro will seem hard to beat! But one feature I could see that would make me buy the eventual mini 4 would be interchangeable camera module. I would assume that the camera and the gimbal would need to be replaced all thogether as it's a very delicate gimbal. It would be really nice to have option for a "long zoom lens" like the 10x periscope camera me see in some phones.

Ideally, the camera and gimbal would come with a single connection point (ideally usb-c) and could be interchangeable with the next version of Osmo Pocket handle for handheld operation as well.
2023-2-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

no thanks.  autel already tried the interchangeable camera and it didn't work out so well.  i know you're asking for it but let's be realistic, you have no intention on paying for it....nobody will.  an interchangeable lens will end up costing everyone a bit more and the goal is to drive the prices down, not up.  i think we want technology to evolve and get better and after a year or two, who wants to be stuck with changing out parts that are out-dated and merchants won't carry those parts because who wants to be stuck with old inventory for stuff that won't sell?  i like your idea (and it's not a new idea) but for now, it just won't work.  do manufacturers implement a potential new design that is better and strand previous customers or do they continue to stick with the old design and fall behind?  think about the mini2 and if there were 3 different cameras to choose from and then with the introduction of the mini3 they needed a new camera to make it work portrait, how would you feel?  how does care refresh work and how will dji support this?  honestly, i don't think they are ready.  ultimately i think it's been tried before and it's just a waste of time until we decide to take the next meaningful step and looking into something like a software-defined space for example.  it's 2023, we should not still be talking about manually swapping out hardware.
2023-2-4
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, djiuser_LfB5WDbdvwYn. Thank you for reaching out. We really appreciate you looking forward to our future products. Regretfully, we have not yet received any information related to Mini 4 but I will take it as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. All significant suggestions will be implemented after the evaluation of our relevant team. For the latest updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at ( www.dji.com ). Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-2-4
Use props
djiuser_LfB5WDbdvwYn
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

The Saint Posted at 2-4 16:15
no thanks.  autel already tried the interchangeable camera and it didn't work out so well.  i know you're asking for it but let's be realistic, you have no intention on paying for it....nobody will.  an interchangeable lens will end up costing everyone a bit more and the goal is to drive the prices down, not up.  i think we want technology to evolve and get better and after a year or two, who wants to be stuck with changing out parts that are out-dated and merchants won't carry those parts because who wants to be stuck with old inventory for stuff that won't sell?  i like your idea (and it's not a new idea) but for now, it just won't work.  do manufacturers implement a potential new design that is better and strand previous customers or do they continue to stick with the old design and fall behind?  think about the mini2 and if there were 3 different cameras to choose from and then with the introduction of the mini3 they needed a new camera to make it work portrait, how would you feel?  how does care refresh work and how will dji support this?  honestly, i don't think they are ready.  ultimately i think it's been tried before and it's just a waste of time until we decide to take the next meaningful step and looking into something like a software-defined space for example.  it's 2023, we should not still be talking about manually swapping out hardware.

The mini 3 pro is already quite expensive. There are many people who would be happy to pay extra to have interchangeable cameras. The Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom was not that far from being a user replaceable camera/gimbal and Autel product is not that bad. If DJI does it, it has great chances to be awesome.

Alternatively, if camera/gimbal replacement is not doable, it would be nice to have a Mini 3 Zoom version. I like my mini 3, but for wildlife, it's hard to get close enough. The Mavic 3 Pro is awesome, but over 250g and it is noisier, so a zoom version of the mini 3 would be useful!
2023-2-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_LfB5WDbdvwYn Posted at 2-4 19:53
The mini 3 pro is already quite expensive. There are many people who would be happy to pay extra to have interchangeable cameras. The Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom was not that far from being a user replaceable camera/gimbal and Autel product is not that bad. If DJI does it, it has great chances to be awesome.

Alternatively, if camera/gimbal replacement is not doable, it would be nice to have a Mini 3 Zoom version. I like my mini 3, but for wildlife, it's hard to get close enough. The Mavic 3 Pro is awesome, but over 250g and it is noisier, so a zoom version of the mini 3 would be useful!

just curious how much would you willing to pay for that zoom camera?  let's say you bought the regular kit then you developed the need for a nice zoom camera and dji sells a standalone, how much?
2023-2-5
Use props
djiuser_LfB5WDbdvwYn
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

The Saint Posted at 2-5 11:34
just curious how much would you willing to pay for that zoom camera?  let's say you bought the regular kit then you developed the need for a nice zoom camera and dji sells a standalone, how much?

At least 300USD for sure... I paid a thousand buck to upgrade my mini 2 to mini 3 just to have that 48mpx and low light capability. But now the mini 3 pro is so good, honestly, I can't see what else a mini 4 could have that would make me upgrade again unless it's has more different field of view...
2023-2-5
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_LfB5WDbdvwYn Posted at 2-5 17:28
At least 300USD for sure... I paid a thousand buck to upgrade my mini 2 to mini 3 just to have that 48mpx and low light capability. But now the mini 3 pro is so good, honestly, I can't see what else a mini 4 could have that would make me upgrade again unless it's has more different field of view...

More than likely looking closer to the $500 range

IMO, the next one will should have a variable aperture and some of the stuff thats been asked over the last 9 months...
2023-2-5
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_LfB5WDbdvwYn Posted at 2-5 17:28

nobody else will pay that.  if this is the same camera for the osmo pocket 2 which cost $300 - $350, it makes no sense to sell the camera to mini drone flyers for $300.  dji couldn't sell enough of them which is why that particular camera would probably run even more.

so let's say you bought the $300 camera and you swapped out (so you're now up to $1300) and the next year the mini4 comes out with the camera you want and the entire drone plus other goodies is $1200).  where does that leave you?  would you be mad at dji?

i'm just thinking ahead about how this could work.  i like the idea of an upgraded camera package for a few more $ because it can be seen as a downgraded camera for a few less $ but they're not designed to be user-changeable, or are they?
2023-2-5
Use props
djiuser_LfB5WDbdvwYn
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

The Saint Posted at 2-5 17:45
nobody else will pay that.  if this is the same camera for the osmo pocket 2 which cost $300 - $350, it makes no sense to sell the camera to mini drone flyers for $300.  dji couldn't sell enough of them which is why that particular camera would probably run even more.

so let's say you bought the $300 camera and you swapped out (so you're now up to $1300) and the next year the mini4 comes out with the camera you want and the entire drone plus other goodies is $1200).  where does that leave you?  would you be mad at dji?

The Osmo pocket as it's own battery, screen, control and processor... It has to be more expensive than only the camera+gimbal part. Many people pays over a hundred dollar just for filters and about 200$ for the fly more kit. I think many people would be happy to purchase additional add on for their drone.

I really appreciate that we now have the wide angle lens adapter, which give us a slightly different perspective. I just wish there would be a way to have a more zoomed version has well.
2023-2-6
Use props
djiuser_LfB5WDbdvwYn
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

Bashy Posted at 2-5 17:37
More than likely looking closer to the $500 range

IMO, the next one will should have a variable aperture and some of the stuff thats been asked over the last 9 months...

I personally didn't used too much the variable aperture of my mavic 2 pro as I do more photography and a little bit of video (and I rarely care the 180deg rule). I think the problem with variable aperture is that the mechanism add a lot of weight. One of the disadvantage of the large aperture of the mini 3 pro is that it's not always in perfect focus, while with the smaller aperture it would be more always in focus as the mini 2 was. I prefer the wide aperture and a few rare miss-focus, but indeed interchangeable camera would potentially permit something like this. Or at least a camera with a smaller aperture...
2023-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules