2.7K thoughts out loud
1015 15 2023-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Hey Fish:

2.7K  feels a lot better  then 4K, have all the options to use, and feels like the  you get a much better video then 4K,  using Narrow, that makes a sharper, crisper shot, if asked on what you're doing.  I feel 4K U-HD has just something going on, heck no one can tell if its upconverted or not, it gets the same exact points across then just biggering over  what we all think is best. you know do what is best for you, if its a good shot no one will know the difference.

FISH
2023-2-5
Use props
skysailor64
Second Officer
United States

That's been my go-to resolution with my OA1 and expect it will that with my OA3 going forward.  Produces some very remarkable videos.
2023-2-5
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

well as I looked at the results in a Pure day light shot still not satasfied.
2023-2-5
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

1080 still keeps me satisfied.

2023-2-5
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Need to do a test on this, was like that with OA1 also.
2023-2-5
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Youtube algorithm like uploads at 1440p and 1080p with their downsize looks better than uploading 1080p with every care taken your end when rendering.
Most YT views are still at 1080p and it will look better than 4K on small screens anyway.
2023-2-6
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

As I have a 4K iphone the highest quality allowed is 720P to view
2023-2-6
Use props
Helmut Ruch
lvl.3
Germany

I once tested the horizontal field of view of the OA (1) with lens correction and Rocksteady on and found, that under this conditions only about 3000 of the 4000 horizontal pixels are used. The rest is buffer for the stabi. Which means, that a stabilized 4k video consists of about 40% of interpolated pixel, pixel without real informations. The same for the data stream: 40 MBit/s of the captured 100 MBit/s consists of hot air, interpolated data. For the OA the much better way is to capture in 2k7 and scale the video up to 4k in the post, if someone realy needs this. 2k7 uses the 100 MBit/s stream much more effectiv then 4k.
For the OA 3 (and OA 2) if have not found a written statement about the sensor resolution from DJI up to date. Somebody here knows more?
But an other aspect to 4k: The resolution of our eyes is around one bow second (1/60 of a degree) in young years. On a "normal" distance of view, min. 2 times screen diagonal, our eyes are not even able to recognize single pixels in 720p. 4k is complete overkill.
And some remarkes to YT: Youtube treats small channels with low trafik and uploads in 1080p very bad. Normaly you get only 2,65 MBit/s of videobandwith (VP09) with 1080p, not enough for critical scenes. If you take the same stuff and blow it up to 1440p bevor you upload to YT, you get much more bandwidth even in the 1080p version. So, never upload 1080p to YT...
2023-2-6
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

YouTube is or used to be that all videos from 1080p and below get avc1 codec (worse) and 1440p and higher get vp9 codec (best).

But also I have seen that smaller channels get less priority for other people, so 4K on a small channel will cause playback to stop for buffering all time, while there is no problem for bigger channels.
Reason I think for this is either that bigger channels get priority and/or that videos with high amount of views get wide spread to all mirrors of youtube all over world.

This is a problem I have to face often when checking non-paid videos of camera footage in 4K.
2023-2-7
Use props
Helmut Ruch
lvl.3
Germany

johansenfoto Posted at 2-7 01:19
YouTube is or used to be that all videos from 1080p and below get avc1 codec (worse) and 1440p and higher get vp9 codec (best).

But also I have seen that smaller channels get less priority for other people, so 4K on a small channel will cause playback to stop for buffering all time, while there is no problem for bigger channels.

I use SmartTube as a YT-Client on FireTV. Beside some other advantages SmartTube offers a complete list of available resolutions and codecs. And since a longer time it offers 1080p VP09 for each 1080p video. On FireTV I can use VP09. The Windows YT-Client for FireFox on the other hand still uses the AC3-Codec for an 1080p upload. For the same stuff uploaded in 1440p, YT uses the VP09 codec even for the 1080p version, which results in much better quality. You get more bandwith and the better codec.
2023-2-7
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Helmut Ruch Posted at 2-7 02:15
I use SmartTube as a YT-Client on FireTV. Beside some other advantages SmartTube offers a complete list of available resolutions and codecs. And since a longer time it offers 1080p VP09 for each 1080p video. On FireTV I can use VP09. The Windows YT-Client for FireFox on the other hand still uses the AC3-Codec for an 1080p upload. For the same stuff uploaded in 1440p, YT uses the VP09 codec even for the 1080p version, which results in much better quality. You get more bandwith and the better codec.

Then it choose vp9 for TVs for best quality and best experience for viewers, good to know.
And there are a lot of people watching youtube on smart TVs today.
2023-2-7
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Helmut Ruch Posted at 2-7 02:15
I use SmartTube as a YT-Client on FireTV. Beside some other advantages SmartTube offers a complete list of available resolutions and codecs. And since a longer time it offers 1080p VP09 for each 1080p video. On FireTV I can use VP09. The Windows YT-Client for FireFox on the other hand still uses the AC3-Codec for an 1080p upload. For the same stuff uploaded in 1440p, YT uses the VP09 codec even for the 1080p version, which results in much better quality. You get more bandwith and the better codec.

"YT uses the VP09 codec even for the 1080p version"

No it doesn't. Where did you read that? It might use VP9 if you are a big name channel with lots of uploads. Otherwise 1080p doesn't use VP9. If you look at a video from a smaller channel that is uploaded only up to 1080, you can right-click and get a "Stats for nerds" and you will see the codec.
For example, this guy has 69 videos (not that much), 9.5k subscribers, and his 1080 videos are AVC1.

HandBreak can also encode using VP9 but (at least in my case) if I upload it to YT, 1080 will still look like crap, especially if it's a Hyperlapse.

Fox News, however, has VP9 even for their 720p video.

2023-2-7
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

interesting
2023-2-7
Use props
Helmut Ruch
lvl.3
Germany

osmonauta Posted at 2-7 04:19
No it doesn't. Where did you read that?

It does! Have a look here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4yb1vkhwqt0gtb/1080p_vp09.jpg?dl=0

You don't have to be a big name channel to get VP09. You only need to upload your video in >= 1440p.
2023-2-7
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Helmut Ruch Posted at 2-7 06:55
It does! Have a look here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4yb1vkhwqt0gtb/1080p_vp09.jpg?dl=0

Well, yes, that is correct. If you upsample the video then it will use VP9. Sorry, I thought what you were referring to is that << by default >> YT uses VP9 on 1080p.
2023-2-7
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I concider my self a Tiny Creator  

recent  video 4K

320x240 or so the best quality years ago for me
2023-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now