Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Can I use the VPS to help with ATTI flying?
894 6 2015-8-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rincewind
lvl.4
  • >>>
Taiwan

Quick question I was pondering today. I've been honing my ATTI flying skills. By now,  I think that, under normal conditions, I can fly in ATTI pretty well, and bringing the P3 back in case of emergency should be no problem. However, in the last couple of days, we've been hacing pretty windy days here, and that was actually pretty scary!
As the title implies, I was wondering if the VPS can help under those conditions, i.e. if I have some trouble with the GPS position, and I have an open path between me and it, would you think it is wise to lower the machine to 3 meter or less, and get it back with VPS assistance? Will that actually help at all?

Thank  you for your thoughts!

2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

no, vps works so many feet off the ground, cant remember exactly how many feet but in real life it wouldnt help. on paper it may
2015-8-18
Use props
Rincewind
lvl.4
  • >>>
Taiwan

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-19 12:51
no, vps works so many feet off the ground, cant remember exactly how many feet but in real life it w ...

Hi Ray!

Thanks very much for your answer.
I'm not sure how many feet that is, but in metric the VPS is supposed to work at between 0.3 to 3 meters. That's why I asked about lowering the P3.
2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

Rincewind Posted at 2015-8-19 12:55
Hi Ray!

Thanks very much for your answer.

3 meters is 9', and from what i understand vps is supposed to function in ATTI. i have turned mine off because i was at 300' and the vps sign kept coming on and saying i was at 12'. so that together with all the problems i have read regarding vps, i decided to turn it off so i dont have something nagging at my "what if vps malfunctions when im up high and causes a crash" i am pretty certain it wouldnt but since i dont fly indoors i couldnt see much use for it, but i can see how on a windy day trying to land it may help.
2015-8-18
Use props
Rincewind
lvl.4
  • >>>
Taiwan

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-19 13:02
3 meters is 9', and from what i understand vps is supposed to function in ATTI. i have turned mine ...

Yes, I see what you mean... I've never had a problem with VPS, actually (I must be one of the lucky ones, judging by the forum). You're absolutely right in saying that, at 300' (100 meters?, if I am to trust you ) up in the air, it'll do absolutely nothing, that also being the main reason why I normally fly without it. See, the thing is, when I was trying to bring the P3 back under windy conditions, what I noticed was that bringing it in my general direction from far away wasn't that difficult. Once it was near me, though, I did get a bit scared, as it drifted tremendously. Luckily, there was no one in the immediate vicinity, but it got me thinking...
2015-8-18
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

Rincewind Posted at 2015-8-19 13:12
Yes, I see what you mean... I've never had a problem with VPS, actually (I must be one of the luck ...

I really havent had any issues with vps either until i saw that flashing 12' when i was 300', in fact before i turned it off it would hover like a champ at very low height.
oh i know about wind!!! i do fly a lot under windy conditions, what i do i fly in atti and when its near me if i cant land it safely i then switch to P-GPS. well the question u gonna ask is what if there is a problem with P-GPS mode and thats why i put it in atti in first place, right?
well i then will try to land it as best as i can and hope a 1 meter drop wont hurt it much,
2015-8-18
Use props
Rincewind
lvl.4
  • >>>
Taiwan

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-19 13:26
I really havent had any issues with vps either until i saw that flashing 12' when i was 300', in f ...

Oh well, whenever I can get my schedule and that of THOSE F***ING typhoons to match, I'll test VPS+ATTI, and report back.
I'm sitting in the lab, beautiful weather outside... tomorrow a typhoon is supposed to make landfall, and go over the entire weekend... the previous weekend it was a storm, and the one before was the biggest typhoon in years. All, of course, accompanied by beautiful mid-week weather!!!!! ARRRG
2015-8-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules