Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Should I apply the UAV Bits Strongarm on my brand new P3P
2539 24 2015-8-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
henrik.henrikss
lvl.2
Sweden

Hi!

I recieved my phantom 3 a couple of weeks ago. Haven´t even put the props on yet only flew within the simulator.
then I hear this stresscracks news. So I ordered the UAV bits strongarm kit but at the same time it makes no sense
start unscrewing a 1300 dollar piece of Equipment without even flying it......
Should I wait or should I mount the strong arm kit on the copter. Can´t be sure if this will happen to everyone who
who bought the P3. Anyone who put the kit on?

Kind Regards

Henrik
2015-8-19
Use props
sploodge
Captain
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just my opinion here ( I'm sure some others will not agree ).

I have a very early model that shipped. Haven't opened it, haven't loosened the screws, haven't fitted prop guards, haven't fitted anything to the P3. I hold the P3 carefully ( by the centre not by a single arm ) and have not seen any cracks on it at all.. Not crashed, had catched apart from beta testing auto lands..

Now I'm not saying its users fault for the cracks ( I saw one user with a new unused P3 just out of the box as a replacement form a cracked shell having the issue ) but am sure that if you take precautions, treat it like you would other £1200 bits of kit, you should be fine ( not seeing thousands of reported cracks although have no exact figure that have gone back to DJI for this issue ).

Me, I would not modify the P3 and who even knows if the UAV bits strongarm kit wont just shift any stress fractures further up the shell or that the cracks just appear without even knowing they are there? I'm sure UAV Bits have made some $$ from these at $25 a pop but no evidence to show it prevents anything..

Just my 2p worth..
2015-8-19
Use props
henrik.henrikss
lvl.2
Sweden

sploodge Posted at 2015-8-19 19:52
Just my opinion here ( I'm sure some others will not agree ).

I have a very early model that shippe ...

Thanks for your thoughts! I agree it is too early to tell if the uav bits strongarm really works as stated....
2015-8-19
Use props
Skater67
lvl.4
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

Received my DJI3A in May with no stress cracks and have flown a moderate amount of time.  I have not modified my DJI3A and plan to leave as is.  Something like, "if it isn't broken, don't fix it."  
2015-8-19
Use props
HunterBrooks
Second Officer

United States

For me, it reminds me of a new house settling in.  Every new house will have "stress cracks" as gravity, fluctuating hot/cold temperature conditions, and other forces act on it.  I have two very small stress cracks on one motor (rear, left side).  When I think about what this thing is doing on every flight, I'm surprised there aren't more.  I'll just keep an eye out, and inspect it after so many flights.  But it has not in any way changed the way I fly.  

Ha, ever wonder why your new car "oil change" at the dealership takes 4 hours to complete.  Guess what - they are also tightening loose screws, popping back loose door panels, re-torquing engine mounts, replacing parts that they know will break soon based on pre-launch testing but didn't want to miss their shipping dates.  It would be the same if after every 5 hours of flight time, you brought your P3 to a dealer for a quick maintenance check.  One of the most expensive aspects of fixed-wing aircraft ownership is the mandatory maintenance after so many hours of flight.

Sounds like a good business model for some entrepreneurial RC gurus - offering annual maintenance contracts to P3 owners.
2015-8-19
Use props
Daninho
Second Officer

Germany

I would use the strong arms kit, in fact i have it here in front of me right now. For me the Phantom3 shell is to thin and it will crack sooner or later and you cant sell a broken Phantom3, oh wait, you can sell it but 150 Euro cheaper : ) Those cracks appear on most Phantom3's, just to much vibrations going on and the material is a bit thin.
2015-8-19
Use props
Rigworker
First Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

Daninho Posted at 2015-8-19 23:14
I would use the strong arms kit, in fact i have it here in front of me right now. For me the Phantom ...

Most phantom 3's? Where did you get that information? I read that DJI had sold 400,000 P3. You saying most of those crack?
2015-8-19
Use props
liningiv
Second Officer
Flight distance : 329409 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Henrik,
I have 80+ flights, over 60Km flown, never crashed, I'm still flying the original props, but I have cracked rear black motor arm.
My solution is to tightly wrap3 layers of insulation tape around each arm as far outboard as you can.  if you try with just one arm and see how much stiffer the shell will become as the load on the lower body is shared with the top as it is meant to do through the screws.
Try it, if you don't think it works just remove it.  No harm done.
2015-8-19
Use props
Daninho
Second Officer

Germany

Rigworker Posted at 2015-8-20 00:24
Most phantom 3's? Where did you get that information? I read that DJI had sold 400,000 P3. You say ...

Because nearly every Phantom i saw had the molding imperfection and my former P3 had it and my new one as well. This is the weak point that start to crack over time. According to the poll here many ppl have cracks already and some voted no in the beginning but later they had cracks as well : p  So yes i would say most P3's have the problem sooner or later, thats why i bought the strong arms kit. I want to sell that thing someday without cracks.
2015-8-19
Use props
Rigworker
First Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

Daninho Posted at 2015-8-20 06:50
Because nearly every Phantom i saw had the molding imperfection and my former P3 had it and my new ...

How many of those 400,000 have you seen? Mine has no cracks with many hard flights.  Forum surveys tend to invite votes from those that have issues. Much like the ones that have firmware issues.  Many, including myself have never had a firmware problem.  Install your parts but without proper engineering analysis and testing you have no idea if they will stop or exacerbate the problem. Does DJI make any of these parts?
2015-8-19
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

I don't have any cracks yet but I installed the Strongarm brackets yesterday.  
2015-8-19
Use props
Daninho
Second Officer

Germany

Rigworker Posted at 2015-8-20 08:43
How many of those 400,000 have you seen? Mine has no cracks with many hard flights.  Forum surveys ...

I think we discussed that already over and over again. The ppl here are phantom geeks, they visit the forums regulary just for fun. Thats why a poll is pretty accurate because not only ppl with problems come here, you can see that when you look at the poll. Ppl without cracks voted as well. I saw that molding imperfection on every phantom i saw here and my two had them as well. Isnt that strange? I had a similar situation with the gimbal, i had three P3 gimbals and two of them were bad and produced jello and overload messages. We should look at the things always in a neutral way, there is just to much fanboyism involved sometimes.
2015-8-19
Use props
rayrokni
Captain
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

i have used them from day 1 and they are easy to install, have flown thirty odd hours , 178 flights with them, 220 miles, 1 carash flying very low to the ground at 20mph, ground came up and i didnt, one other crash again at 3' very slow into a tree.they are basically washers. do washers cause cracks? no.
and what has them making a profit have to do with anything, so i dont understand that remark, sploodge. is DJI equipment free?

anyways here they are, made a quick video, if u want to take a look:

2015-8-20
Use props
supercrackmunke
lvl.2

United States

I've had rather good luck with my P3P as far as cracks go. I've flown about 34km (21 miles), and had 2 crashes but the body is just as beautiful as the day I bought it. Personally I wouldn't worry about it, but YMMV.
2015-8-20
Use props
kjneblett
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34016 ft
United States

Has anyone that installed the strong arm kits had any problems now that it has been a month later?
2015-9-29
Use props
magart2.hotmail
lvl.2
United States

I put them on a couple of months ago and have checked for cracks twice since and no sign of cracking yet. 25.00 is pretty cheap insurance on a 1300.00 purchase. I have the P3P and have over 100 flights so far.
2015-9-29
Use props
jaronpv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 723776 ft
United States

My phantom developed the cracks around 90 flights in.  I WISH I had put the strong arms on when I bought it.  They make perfect sense when you see how they distribute all the motor force to the arm itself, instead of just on the thin plastic that surrounds the bolts.    They dont change flight characteristics and dont decrease flight time.  Put them on, and prevent the cracks. I wish I had.
2015-9-29
Use props
boxerman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-20 13:08
i have used them from day 1 and they are easy to install, have flown thirty odd hours , 178 flights  ...

Thanks for the vid!  Now I know what mine will look like with the black UAVBits plates attached - which should be here tomorrow.
2015-9-29
Use props
SectorDrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 919751 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

I had loosen up the screws on the motors... found them over torqued

But I bought the quick release prop guards... and it seems the plates are guards add on strength... aside from option that I can install my props guard whenever I want to fly indoor..
2015-9-29
Use props
rayrokni
Captain
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

boxerman Posted at 2015-9-30 13:08
Thanks for the vid!  Now I know what mine will look like with the black UAVBits plates attached -  ...

do me a favor and measure the strong arm screws provided against the oem screws and tell me how much longer they are. i cant remember when i measured mine. this is to make sure the screws are not too long causing motor damage!!

thanks
2015-9-29
Use props
pi-inthesky
First Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

GIMMICKS how would you know they work.
2015-9-30
Use props
joepilly2
lvl.1

United States

Put mine on a couple days ago.  My P3A is only a couple weeks old and only 25 flights when I put them on.  Who knows if they work, but for the price of the P3 and all the extras I bought.  Worth it.  Will take them off after 100 flights or so to check.
2015-9-30
Use props
boxerman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

pi-inthesky@hot Posted at 2015-9-30 04:11
GIMMICKS how would you know they work.

Yeah.  Well I know they don't work when you don't use them, right?  Crrrraaaacccckkkk goes the motor mounts...  But not mine.
2015-9-30
Use props
Phoenix Outdoor
lvl.2
United States

Jason anyone that has these installed had any issues?
2015-9-30
Use props
Phoenix Outdoor
lvl.2
United States

Dang auto correct I meant *has not jason
2015-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules