Video thumbnails for D-Cinelike footage?
1617 8 2023-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Frank0412
lvl.1
Flight distance : 378967 ft
Netherlands

Hello there,

I have the Mini 3 Pro, and have been shooting all my videos in D-cinelike. Although D-Cinelike is great for editing, the File Explorer on Windows 10 won't show video thumbnails for D-Cinelike videos.

VLC media player can play the footage just fine, but with over 500 videos it would be a lot easier if I could see a thumbnail when searching through the footage for a certain shot. Does anybody know a way to make the thumbnails show in the File Explorer?
2023-2-12
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Frank0412. Thank you for reaching out. Our preliminary judgment of why thumbnails are not visible is because of the compatibility issue between Windows file explorer and D-Cinelike format which means that the file explorer cannot detect D-Cinelike format normally. Since you can play the D-Cinelike videos in the VLC media player, it's guaranteed that there are no issues with the files. Kindly contact Windows Technical Support as it seems to be a compatibility issue with File Explorer. Thank you for your kind understanding.
2023-2-12
Use props
Frank0412
lvl.1
Netherlands

DJI Gamora Posted at 2-12 20:33
Hi, Frank0412. Thank you for reaching out. Our preliminary judgment of why thumbnails are not visible is because of the compatibility issue between Windows file explorer and D-Cinelike format which means that the file explorer cannot detect D-Cinelike format normally. Since you can play the D-Cinelike videos in the VLC media player, it's guaranteed that there are no issues with the files. Kindly contact Windows Technical Support as it seems to be a compatibility issue with File Explorer. Thank you for your kind understanding.

Hi DJI Gamora, thank you. I understood that there was a compatability issue with the Windows File Explorer.

I hoped to find out if anyone knows a third party plug-in for File Explorer or a program that is able to read the files and show a thumbnail so that I can scroll through my footage easier
2023-2-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have you installed a h265/HEVC codec so that Windows media player is able to play the files?   There used to be one free in the Windows App Store but I think they now charge for it.  
2023-2-13
Use props
Frank0412
lvl.1
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 2-13 00:22
Have you installed a h265/HEVC codec so that Windows media player is able to play the files?   There used to be one free in the Windows App Store but I think they now charge for it.

Yes I did see a HEVC video extension on the store. But I shoot in h.264, MP4 and Windows media player can play the files that are not shot in D-Cinelike. I am not sure if D-Cine affects the codec and an HEVC extension will solve the problem so I didn't want to buy any extensions just yet. Did adding the extension work for you?
2023-2-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Frank0412 Posted at 2-13 00:50
Yes I did see a HEVC video extension on the store. But I shoot in h.264, MP4 and Windows media player can play the files that are not shot in D-Cinelike. I am not sure if D-Cine affects the codec and an HEVC extension will solve the problem so I didn't want to buy any extensions just yet. Did adding the extension work for you?

D Cine and H264 is terrible for compatibility,  its really only supported last h265.    The combination is so bad it will crash my Macs quick preview feature.
2023-2-13
Use props
Frank0412
lvl.1
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 2-13 01:06
D Cine and H264 is terrible for compatibility,  its really only supported last h265.    The combination is so bad it will crash my Macs quick preview feature.

Thank you for pointing that out, it has been working fine on my pc so far but I will change the camera settings if that works better
2023-2-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Frank0412 Posted at 2-13 01:24
Thank you for pointing that out, it has been working fine on my pc so far but I will change the camera settings if that works better

When I selected that format by accident when I first tried it I got some terrible colour casts from it.   H265 and things got much better although you may need to create proxies if you want to edit it as only the very latest CPUs support hardware decode of it.
2023-2-13
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Frank0412 Posted at 2-12 23:58
Hi DJI Gamora, thank you. I understood that there was a compatability issue with the Windows File Explorer.

I hoped to find out if anyone knows a third party plug-in for File Explorer or a program that is able to read the files and show a thumbnail so that I can scroll through my footage easier

Hi, Frank0412. Thank you for the reply. Hopefully, other pilots can provide you with suggestions regarding that one. Have a safe flight always!
2023-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules