1231 93 2023-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

At the request of HGDC84, here is a couple of minutes of video from the Action 2 mounted as a Dashcam.
Chunal is the high point of the pass over the hills between Hayfield and Glossop in Derbyshire, England.
A cloudy day for the trip north, changing to bright sunshine for the return journey.
And yes, the sunshine made it evident I need to clean the windscreen

2023-2-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very stable and impressive footage from the Action 2 while used as a dashcam.  Great job Mr. B.  
2023-2-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pretty grim weather there too then,   it's quite miserable.    Thanks for the reminder about the windscreen,  I did mine the other day but the smears are terrible.  Needs to try again.
2023-2-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-13 03:05
Pretty grim weather there too then,   it's quite miserable.    Thanks for the reminder about the windscreen,  I did mine the other day but the smears are terrible.  Needs to try again.

I found a commercial product called SprayWay streak free glass cleaner that works wonders on any glass window.  I think I got my last one at Walmart but I know I ordered it before on Amazon.  Might be worth a try.  
2023-2-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-13 04:38
I found a commercial product called SprayWay streak free glass cleaner that works wonders on any glass window.  I think I got my last one at Walmart but I know I ordered it before on Amazon.  Might be worth a try.

I use SX Glass Cleaner Non Smearing,  but if you dont wipe it off it looks bad,  and I missed some bits at the bottom of the windscreen where its furthest away.
2023-2-13
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I prefer Winnats ;-) Action 2 as a dashcam does work, though.
2023-2-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 2-13 06:06
I prefer Winnats ;-) Action 2 as a dashcam does work, though.

Just for you, I shall drive through Winnats soon - with Dashcam
2023-2-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-13 02:47
Very stable and impressive footage from the Action 2 while used as a dashcam.  Great job Mr. B.

Thanks RDB. It was our firend in Finland who requested some footage
I had the Rocksteady option applied - and that works a treat.
That road is quite bumpy in places, due to poor maintenance.
2023-2-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 2-13 03:05

I've just done mine with a microfibre cloth, then a damp chamois leather (water with a dash of vinegar)
2023-2-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-13 04:38
I found a commercial product called SprayWay streak free glass cleaner that works wonders on any glass window.  I think I got my last one at Walmart but I know I ordered it before on Amazon.  Might be worth a try.

The windscreen looks OK now I've cleaned it. But I bet as soon as I encounter sun on it the streaks will be there.
I might have a look for that product you mention.
2023-2-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 2-13 07:28
I've just done mine with a microfibre cloth, then a damp chamois leather (water with a dash of vinegar)

I just used SX Glass Cleaner and paper towel.   I just needed to redo along the bottom where I missed it before.    I hate cleaning the inside of a windscreen.  
2023-2-13
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Germany

Blériot53 Posted at 2-13 07:23
Just for you, I shall drive through Winnats soon - with Dashcam

Thanks but no need. I'll keep that one in my heart.
2023-2-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 2-13 07:31
I just used SX Glass Cleaner and paper towel.   I just needed to redo along the bottom where I missed it before.    I hate cleaning the inside of a windscreen.

So do I. You need to be a contorsionist.
2023-2-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 2-13 07:32
Thanks but no need. I'll keep that one in my heart.

Actually I don't need to - someone has already done it

2023-2-13
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Germany

Blériot53 Posted at 2-13 07:37
Actually I don't need to - someone has already done it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiP_WjA-LWM

Yes, I think I saw that "in preparation" last September.
2023-2-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 2-13 07:50
Yes, I think I saw that "in preparation" last September.

Saved me a couple of litres of diesel
2023-2-13
Use props
AZ Tony
lvl.3
United States

Weird seeing you guys driving on the other side if the road.
2023-2-13
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

I'll have to say I am impressed by the electronic stabilizing on the Action 2, looks very smooth :-) Also, very good footage in general. Would see that this camera would work well for this purpose, if it had loop recording (not sure if it does). And you adjusted it pretty much perfectly - exposure is in good balance and the image at 1080p is sharp. I've seen way worse dashcams that are officially sold as that and not action cameras. Thanks for sharing this footage :-)
2023-2-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2-13 09:10
I'll have to say I am impressed by the electronic stabilizing on the Action 2, looks very smooth :-) Also, very good footage in general. Would see that this camera would work well for this purpose, if it had loop recording (not sure if it does). And you adjusted it pretty much perfectly - exposure is in good balance and the image at 1080p is sharp. I've seen way worse dashcams that are officially sold as that and not action cameras. Thanks for sharing this footage :-)

I thought you might like it.  The unit DOES have loop recording, by the way -  5 or 7 minutes.
However, it's best not to try high resolution, as after a few minutes the unit shuts down due to overheating.
I ran it at 1920x1080 and 30FPS and it recorded the entire journey of 22 minutes, no problem.
7Gb of data stored internally on the (upto) 22Gb memory.
2023-2-13
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-13 09:38
I thought you might like it.  The unit DOES have loop recording, by the way -  5 or 7 minutes.
However, it's best not to try high resolution, as after a few minutes the unit shuts down due to overheating.
I ran it at 1920x1080 and 30FPS and it recorded the entire journey of 22 minutes, no problem.

Having the loop recording is a very welcome feature and could very well make this a viable option for dashcam use

As for the resolution, 1080p is well enough for me. I don't even have a 4K TV or computer monitor, and I do think it is a bit an overhyped "innovation" (though I am certain some people disagree). I'd rather take an "inferior" resolution that works reliably rather than a high one that causes overheating or other problems.

And thanks for those specifications, interesting to know these :-)
2023-2-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2-13 09:43
Having the loop recording is a very welcome feature and could very well make this a viable option for dashcam use

As for the resolution, 1080p is well enough for me. I don't even have a 4K TV or computer monitor, and I do think it is a bit an overhyped "innovation" (though I am certain some people disagree). I'd rather take an "inferior" resolution that works reliably rather than a high one that causes overheating or other problems.

My pleasure mate.
I've been out walking in lovely weather this afternoon, wearing the unit on its lanyard.
I'll post some of that footage later, too.
2023-2-13
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-13 09:56
My pleasure mate.
I've been out walking in lovely weather this afternoon, wearing the unit on its lanyard.
I'll post some of that footage later, too.

Great to hear the weather there is fine, and will eagerly await for footage from your walk.

The weather here is not that great now, quite wet and slippery. Oh well, maybe doesn't matter, as my Pocket 2 is still on it's trip to Netherlands. But maybe I'll soon hear more about it. At least the service inquiry shows DJI has received it.
2023-2-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2-13 10:03
Great to hear the weather there is fine, and will eagerly await for footage from your walk.

The weather here is not that great now, quite wet and slippery. Oh well, maybe doesn't matter, as my Pocket 2 is still on it's trip to Netherlands. But maybe I'll soon hear more about it. At least the service inquiry shows DJI has received it.

It's becoming a bit of a lengthy saga regarding your Pocket 2 and its waterproof housing.
It's disappointing that DJI are being so slow with it.
2023-2-13
Use props
Prezzodrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8533 ft

United Kingdom

It was a bit loud if car sounds.  
2023-2-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Prezzodrone Posted at 2-13 12:29
It was a bit loud if car sounds.

Well it's not a Rolls-Royce
2023-2-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-13 05:50
I use SX Glass Cleaner Non Smearing,  but if you dont wipe it off it looks bad,  and I missed some bits at the bottom of the windscreen where its furthest away.

I checked it out on the internet.  Looks like a really good product but appears to only be available in the UK.  No problem though as SprayWay is working really good for me.  
2023-2-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-14 03:23
I checked it out on the internet.  Looks like a really good product but appears to only be available in the UK.  No problem though as SprayWay is working really good for me.

I couldnt find Sprayway here either.  

UPS update.   Tracking says it will be delivered within 30 minutes,  but it also shows its up north again.   
2023-2-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 2-13 07:26
Thanks RDB. It was our firend in Finland who requested some footage
I had the Rocksteady option applied - and that works a treat.
That road is quite bumpy in places, due to poor maintenance.

You're very welcome Mr. B.  

I would have never known that road was bumpy from the footage so Rocksteady must be working perfectly.  
2023-2-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 2-13 07:30
The windscreen looks OK now I've cleaned it. But I bet as soon as I encounter sun on it the streaks will be there.
I might have a look for that product you mention.

Not sure if it is available in the UK but if it is it should works great.  Never leaves streaks or smears.

I use it a lot here as the gulls tend to use my dock and car for poop bombing.  Of course for the dock I have to use a power washer and not the SprayWay.    My grandson was over for the weekend and he put feed out for the wild deer and power washed the dock for me.  So at least that chore got checked off my to do list.
2023-2-14
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-14 03:33
You're very welcome Mr. B.  

I would have never known that road was bumpy from the footage so Rocksteady must be working perfectly.

My SUV irons out the bumps pretty well
2023-2-14
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-14 03:37
Not sure if it is available in the UK but if it is it should works great.  Never leaves streaks or smears.

I use it a lot here as the gulls tend to use my dock and car for poop bombing.  Of course for the dock I have to use a power washer and not the SprayWay.    My grandson was over for the weekend and he put feed out for the wild deer and power washed the dock for me.  So at least that chore got checked off my to do list.

Sounds like the perfect grandson
2023-2-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-14 03:32
I couldnt find Sprayway here either.  

UPS update.   Tracking says it will be delivered within 30 minutes,  but it also shows its up north again.

it also shows its up north again.

YGTBSM.      

2023-2-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-14 03:55
it also shows its up north again.

YGTBSM.

Sadly not,   it was collected 9:23pm from DJI,  then went from NL to Germany and arrived in the UK at 3:18am. No movement since.  
2023-2-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 2-14 03:43
My SUV irons out the bumps pretty well

That's good.  Unfortunately, when I'm out in my truck it has a very rigid suspension and doesn't iron out any bumps.  However, it is a beast that will pull anything you put behind it.  It also does really well when 4-wheel drive is needed.  
2023-2-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 2-14 03:44
Sounds like the perfect grandson

He is indeed a great kid.  I just have to be careful and not spoil him too much.  
2023-2-14
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-14 04:06
That's good.  Unfortunately, when I'm out in my truck it has a very rigid suspension and doesn't iron out any bumps.  However, it is a beast that will pull anything you put behind it.  It also does really well when 4-wheel drive is needed.

I rarely go off road TBH.  But it's handy on some of the rough tracks up the hills.
2023-2-14
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-14 04:07
He is indeed a great kid.  I just have to be careful and not spoil him too much.

He must be grateful for the drones, at least
2023-2-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-14 04:04
Sadly not,   it was collected 9:23pm from DJI,  then went from NL to Germany and arrived in the UK at 3:18am. No movement since.

Now I'm wondering if that is the route UPS takes when moving items from Germany into the UK vice into an airport closer to London.  
2023-2-14
Use props
enikdem
Second Officer
Flight distance : 898520 ft
Greece

Quite stable image.
2023-2-14
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

enikdem Posted at 2-14 04:15
Quite stable image.

There's a setting you can choose called ROCKSTEADY - and it appears to work well
2023-2-14
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules