Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
California Atmospheric Rivers and the Adventure It Brought
1089 19 2023-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Booradley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11349537 ft
United States

Video link below

It has been a minute since I have put together a full adventure VLOG. See below for the backstory.

This entire video was captured using at least one DJI product in each shot.
Equipment:

-All aerial work is from the DJI Mavic 3 Cine using the filters that came with it to get the correct shutter speed for the frame rate I was shooting in.
-Handheld and stationary shots all with the DJI Ronin SC2 with the Nikon D780, Ninja Atomos V, and Rode Shotgun Mic.

I used Apple ProRes for both the drone and Nikon.  

Processed with Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects, Podcast BETA, and Lightroom

Backstory:  I've been on this forum for a few years.  When I first purchased a DJI Phantom 3 Pro, I was still an insurance agent and shooting drone videos on the side.  Some of the first footage I shared with the community was from the spot featured in this video.  Located in the heart of Orange County, California. I came here to originally document the drought and learn to fly my drone.  Think about how long ago the P3 Pro was released, during that time I drove to Irvine Lake and Black Star Canyon for my idea, to document the drought.  I was hearing talks of an El Nino and fully expected the drought to get knocked out that year...  I was so wrong.

I documented the landscape at the time, made a few really boring videos and watched as 14 views rolled in over a period of 2 years lol.  But I still held onto the footage, thinking at some point, the drought would end.  Fast forward to 2023 and we almost knocked the drought out.  It's still here but starting around Christmas of 2022 the first of three atmospheric rivers rolled in.

These events are incredible for Southern California.  One such event occured during the El Nino year when I first got my P3 but was a drop in the bucket compared to the three back to back that rolled through last month that I captured with my M3C.  The thing about the extended drought and it is noted in this video is that to go that long without sustained rainfall just drains every last drop out of the soil.  When it eventually does rain and rain hard, you almost don't see any of it in the streams, lakes or rivers. for the first heavy rain.  The ground acts like a sponge.  So when the atmospheric river hit and rained for 2 or 3 days, I went to Black Star to scout it out. But because of the years of drought, there was little to no water and as you'll see in the video, none of the atmostpheric river was hitting the falls at that time.  Well all of that changed just a week later and it's good I scouted it out prior because the hike was not easy, especially with 40 lbs of gear!

Black Star is as legendary as they come.  Legit hauntings, a very dark past involving a brutal slaughtering and tragedy when a few teens died in a mine shaft when they ran into a pocket with no oxygen.  Those legends draw even more in.  Not to mention the Black Star Canyon Waterfall.  This is one of the most unique waterfalls in America.  It is literally a waterfall that cascades through an old mine shaft.  The terrain is incredible.  You have what looks like a mini Zion as the red rock canyon cuts through the terrain all the way to bedrock.  What is remarkable is that just above these falls is an ancient Native American site.  Plenty of evidence from the first settlers in the area adding to the allure of this canyon.

So if I could encourage you to take 9 minutes, sit back, relax and join me on my adventure to one of the most unique set of falls you will ever see.  Thank you for watching, your likes and subs go a LONG way and I greatly appreciate the motivation.  

2023-2-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Simply amazing VLOG.  The views were absolutely astonishing and that waterfall was incredible.    Superb job Justin.  
2023-2-14
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-14 13:41
Simply amazing VLOG.  The views were absolutely astonishing and that waterfall was incredible.    Superb job Justin.

Humbled by your words my friend!
2023-2-14
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Remarkable. So much effort and time you put into that. Well worth a sub.
2023-2-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great work.   
2023-2-15
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Booradley Posted at 2-14 17:31
Humbled by your words my friend!

The praise was well deserved.  Keep up the fantastic work.
2023-2-15
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 2-14 23:38
Remarkable. So much effort and time you put into that. Well worth a sub.

It is definitely a lot of work but welcomed.  I am definitely attempting a full time YouTube career but even if it never happens I look at it as a resume for future jobs.  Thank you for the kind words, it's always great when people recognize the effort vs "your camera shoots really good"
2023-2-15
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Booradley Posted at 2-15 09:10
It is definitely a lot of work but welcomed.  I am definitely attempting a full time YouTube career but even if it never happens I look at it as a resume for future jobs.  Thank you for the kind words, it's always great when people recognize the effort vs "your camera shoots really good"

Good luck with it all
2023-2-15
Use props
enikdem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 898520 ft
Greece

Nice work with beautiful captures, One comment in some part the background song (especially when there are lyrics too) is too loud and is covering your speak (around 4:00) I think a music only background when you speak is more suitable. ( just an opinion)
2023-2-15
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

enikdem Posted at 2-15 11:30
Nice work with beautiful captures, One comment in some part the background song (especially when there are lyrics too) is too loud and is covering your speak (around 4:00) I think a music only background when you speak is more suitable. ( just an opinion)

Thank you!  Really appreciate the heads up on that.  
2023-2-15
Use props
Drone Junkie RC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1015679 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Great job.
2023-2-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Interesting video man!
2023-2-16
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2-16 23:58
Interesting video man!

Appreciate the feedback, have a good weekend
2023-2-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Booradley Posted at 2-17 15:12
Appreciate the feedback, have a good weekend

My pleasure, you too!
2023-2-18
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

Thank you!
2023-2-19
Use props
Drone Junkie RC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1015679 ft
  • >>>
Canada

2023-2-19
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

I am planning on going back to this location.  The water is like double what this is after another 7 or so atmospheric rivers.  I have this vision for a shot.  Anyone here seen the show Lost?  I want to turn the cave into the one from Lost by using some lights to give it a cool effect.  Ironically this is located just a few miles where John Locke was from.  (Tustin, California)
2023-3-24
Use props
ro_walker
Second Officer
Brazil

Beautiful footage!!
2023-3-27
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

ro_walker Posted at 3-27 14:07
Beautiful footage!!

Thank you so much! If interested, I just realeased another adventure today ;)  

2023-5-21
Use props
ro_walker
Second Officer
Brazil

Booradley Posted at 5-21 10:44
Thank you so much! If interested, I just realeased another adventure today ;)  

Episode 6 - The Impossible Railroad

2023-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules