Phantom 3 and Seagulls problem and idea?
3001 17 2015-8-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nsvilici
lvl.1

Croatia

I live on the island (Adriatic sea) and I have terrible problems with seagulls.

When I fly my P3 more than few minutes one or two seagulls (who were flying nearby my bird, minding their own business) somehow were chalenged with my P3 and they ALWAYS start to chase my bird with clear intention to knock my bird down.

Somehow I manage to escape ... Huh ...

I also noticed that one or two seagulls are always start to croak in order to call other seagulls ... In a minute flock of seagulls are there !

I have been told that seagulls are afraid of crowns? Do you think that painting my P3 in black colour can solve seagull problem?

To be honest, I doubt about it ...

I am so frustrated about that, because I really dont know should I ever could fly and make shootings of my beautiful island, because of them ...

Any idea how to solve seagull problem is deeply appricated ...
20150811_201842_Richtone(HDR).jpg
2015-8-19
Use props
zubeko
lvl.2

United Kingdom

there is nothing you can do about it, but to be honest they will not knock down the drone because of the noise
seagull_say_ahhh.jpg
2015-8-19
Use props
scott.dreamstre
lvl.1

United States

Mine! Mine!
that's what they are saying
2015-8-19
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

12 gauge bird shot. just joking, bird lovers relax.
i doubt painting it black would scare them off, but p3 would look cool, i m in the process of painting one of my p3.
i really cant give u a definitively successful option, i would just be on the look out for them and see where and when they go for the p3, is it within a certain distance, altitude, etc etc??? knowing the enemy is a must!!!
2015-8-19
Use props
nsvilici
lvl.1

Croatia

zubeko@gmail.co Posted at 2015-8-20 02:58
there is nothing you can do about it, but to be honest they will not knock down the drone because of ...

Huh, are you sure about that?
It seems to me that close encounter with seagull is very real, theyre trying to catch my bird ...
2015-8-19
Use props
TAZ
lvl.2

United States

Ok...don't hold me accountable if this proves untrue in your situation...but I've found seagulls all bark and no bite.  They never seem to approach to drones by more than A few feet.  I've also never heard of any drone (phantom or otherwise) actually hit purposefully by a gull.  Other birds yes.  Seagulls are chickens.  Don't harass, and in my experience they eventually lose interest.  However, if you do test such a thing and discover I'm mistaken, please post the video, as I know many others assume the same, and we'd adjust our thinking given alternate evidence.  Lol.
2015-8-19
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

Build a cheap flamewheel F550 with powerful motors and 11 in carbon fiber props. And right before they hit it slam the throttle stick to 100% and believe me when they come into contact with those props they will wish they didnt..  and be ready to do csc to restart the motors in case they shut down..  after motor restart give full throttle so the flight controller has all available power to recover from the tumble.  And just so everyone knows it is very possible to recover from a bird strike.  They copter gets knocked out of the sky because the motors turn off. Csc will restart them and the flight controller will get the copter leveled out..  I've been thru it already with my F450 running naza-m v2
2015-8-19
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

I have hawks where I fly, and they have gotten pretty close.  I try to get above them, but they're faster than me and ... wait, what?  Seagulls are afraid of clowns?  Seriously?  Me too.  Ever since I was a kid I was like  .... oh, sorry, you said crowns.  My bad.

But seriously, that totally sucks.  They're actually really aggressive birds - and like you said, they defend in packs.  I'm gonna research that more to see if there is some way of painting your P3 to keep it from creating that defensive reaction.  Interesting ...
2015-8-19
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

This might work my man!!!
gun.jpg
2015-8-19
Use props
Amber
New

United Kingdom

Maybe a wrap that looks like a bird of prey might keep them at bay
2015-8-19
Use props
JBPHOTO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2950013 ft
Portugal

TAZ Posted at 2015-8-20 05:41
Ok...don't hold me accountable if this proves untrue in your situation...but I've found seagulls all ...

I don't agree. I've been attacked more then once. See the photo and note in the nylon line stuck in paws. Not happened an accident  by chance
2015-8-19
Use props
JBPHOTO
lvl.3
Portugal

The photo:
2015-8-19
Use props
JBPHOTO
lvl.3
Portugal

seagull
2015-8-19
Use props
TAZ
lvl.2

United States

JBPHOTO Posted at 2015-8-20 06:46
I don't agree. I've been attacked more then once. See the photo and note in the nylon line stuck i ...

Swooped, for sure.  Myself, not willing to chance a strike, however...curious about anything more then a threatening "swoop".  Not sure what the fishing line identifies more than the bird happened to be somewhere near fishing line.   That of course could be a danger if it got caught in the props.  So yes, avoid gulls trailing fishing line (sneaky little buggers).  Could be disaster.  But I really do post the question for alternate insight, as I've never experienced a gull come closer than about 10ft...and they never seem to be intent on impact.  Scary yes, actually a threat...haven't seen it yet.  Other birds on the other hand...I've experienced them intent on hitting me.  Certainly not advocating testing the theory.  However, I've flown around many threatening gulls, and in all cases...if I marginally retreat, they give up in the end.  Gulls around the world may have different aggressive tendencies of course.
2015-8-19
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Just purchase a box of Alka-Seltzer and drop them on the beach. You'll need an umbrella for a few minutes, but they'll leave you alone for a while. Know anyone into falconry?

Seagulls and pigeons are nothing but flying rats.
2015-8-19
Use props
toddf.perkins
lvl.3

United States

I had seen some wrap around prop guards on shape ways. I looked again and I can't seem to find them. If you had something like that on your phantom it would greatly reduce the risk of one stopping a prop if a collision were to occur.
2015-8-19
Use props
nsvilici
lvl.1

Croatia

TAZ Posted at 2015-8-20 05:41
Ok...don't hold me accountable if this proves untrue in your situation...but I've found seagulls all ...

Hahahahaaa ... of course. But you might be right, no matter how serious it looks like, watching my bird from the ground in the middle of flock of angry seagulls, maybe they will never touch my bird ... but I am afraid that in that moment , because of stress, maybe I can make some unlogic dron movement and have a crash with some of them in the air. I hope that seagulls can intervene in similar situation and avoid my amateur flyng maneuvers , LOL ?.
2015-8-20
Use props
nsvilici
lvl.1

Croatia

HunterBrooks Posted at 2015-8-20 06:11
I have hawks where I fly, and they have gotten pretty close.  I try to get above them, but they're f ...

Hahahà, sorry, lapus calami, of course - CROWS (not crowns). I have been told that seagulls are afraid of crows from some unknown reason, that is why fisherman out black plastic bags on the top of their masts, in order to repel seagulls. They do that bdcause otherwise seagulls will sit on mast and shit allover their ship ...
2015-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules