Height above the ground?
4889 6 2023-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hatrack
lvl.1

Australia

How does the Mini 3 Pro determine height above the ground? It seems to determine it referencing its takeoff point. Example: If you take off at a point 50' above sea level and fly the drone to sea level it indicates a negative elevation.
2023-2-14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Hatrack. Thank you for reaching out. The height information displayed in the camera view is the relative altitude to the take-off point. But the altitude seen from the file information (after exporting the image to PC) is derived from the GPS property. The GPS altitude of the aircraft is an altitude relative to sea level, which is calculated by GPS and barometer rather than measurements from the aircraft to the ground.
2023-2-14
Use props
Hatrack
lvl.1

Australia

Sorry, but that is not an answer to my question.
2023-2-14
Use props
djiuser_WUhMd2bh5e5a
New
Flight distance : 55781 ft
United States

I live in West Virginia and and I also was wondering about this. I live in a low valley and when I go up above the mountains I am basically already at 400’ but I’m really only like 50’ above the ground below the drone. What is the legal ramifications and say the FAA decided to come to me or local law enforcement would I be safe and when showing them my flight data they could determine I wasn’t actually flying that high off the ground.  The easy answer is take off on top the mountain but that’s not possible in a lot of places around me. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
2023-2-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_WUhMd2bh5e5a Posted at 2-14 23:13
I live in West Virginia and and I also was wondering about this. I live in a low valley and when I go up above the mountains I am basically already at 400’ but I’m really only like 50’ above the ground below the drone. What is the legal ramifications and say the FAA decided to come to me or local law enforcement would I be safe and when showing them my flight data they could determine I wasn’t actually flying that high off the ground.  The easy answer is take off on top the mountain but that’s not possible in a lot of places around me. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The rule is 400ft AGL so you could take off at the bottom of a mountain and fly over it as long as you remain under 400ft from the ground at the point you're flying.    The drone references all heights from the take off point.  
2023-2-15
Use props
idahoskiguy
lvl.1
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-15 01:02
The rule is 400ft AGL so you could take off at the bottom of a mountain and fly over it as long as you remain under 400ft from the ground at the point you're flying.    The drone references all heights from the take off point.

Thank you for the explanation as I also fly in mountainous areas where the drone is higher than 400' above the takeoff point but still very close to ground level. What I experienced was the max altitude had to be changed in the controller in order to keep flying as the max altitude would be reached very quickly.

Is this correct?
2023-2-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

idahoskiguy Posted at 2-15 06:40
Thank you for the explanation as I also fly in mountainous areas where the drone is higher than 400' above the takeoff point but still very close to ground level. What I experienced was the max altitude had to be changed in the controller in order to keep flying as the max altitude would be reached very quickly.

Is this correct?

Yes that correct.   For example I fly over a small hill that I know is 200ft higher than my take of point so I set max height to 600ft and then as I go over the hill I can increase my altitude and know that Im legal.   Just make sure you lower as you come back.
2023-2-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules