Tilted horizon issue
1313 13 2015-8-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
toddf.perkins
lvl.3

United States

How many people are still experiencing this problem? Imu and gimbal calibrations have not helped me. Does anyone know of anything else I can try?
2015-8-19
Use props
dlongcamp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

I get the tilted horizon also.  It eventually goes back to level on mine but it takes 20 seconds or so.  Its frustrating but it is what it is I guess.  
2015-8-19
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

look on youtube , there is a quick and easy way to fix that, i ll look for the video and post it in a minute
2015-8-19
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

these are on cold imu calibration. but there is also another, which i didnt find yet, that explains how to take the back plate off and actually set the gimble shaft and sensor to perfectly level.

2015-8-19
Use props
toddf.perkins
lvl.3

United States

Well.. I have already done the cold imu calibration as well as a gimbal calibration. I have not tried taking the back plate off of the gimbal and I am not sure that I want to do that. I am hoping for a software fix from dji for both this issue and the gimbal drift problem as well.
2015-8-19
Use props
dlongcamp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-20 03:12
look on youtube , there is a quick and easy way to fix that, i ll look for the video and post it in  ...

does your gimbal stay level all the time or does it take a bit to get level?
2015-8-19
Use props
al.zamorski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256362 ft
United States

Ray , I just the guy in the 2nd video setting up perfectly level and at 3:45 checks the level and says good enough, with the bubble not centered. Facepalm.
2015-8-19
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

dlongcamp@aol.c Posted at 2015-8-20 03:51
does your gimbal stay level all the time or does it take a bit to get level?

mine is level all the time, and if it ever is off a little then i would use the gimble roll adjust function to make it level. u will find that under gimble settings
2015-8-19
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

al.zamorski Posted at 2015-8-20 04:15
Ray , I just the guy in the 2nd video setting up perfectly level and at 3:45 checks the level and sa ...

well maybe he was just doing it for demo purposes. i know i did mine on a absolutely level surface and it works like a champ.
2015-8-19
Use props
AerialLens
lvl.3

United States

I had the tilt problem from DAY ONE - and now the issue has disappeared completely. The cold IMU thing on a flat surface definitely did not fix it for me, even when immediately followed by the gimbal calibration. Tried that more than once.

Here is what happened when the tilt went away. Before I painted my DJI gimbal lock a bright color, I forgot (like a real dummy) to remove it one day. I took off like an airhead and flew in quite a variable breeze with that thing still attached! Even with the jittery video feedback on the monitor, my stupid mistake did not dawn on me for at least a full minute of flight within 75 feet or so. THEN I REALIZED what I had done, and landed/shut down immediately to take a look at what I was sure would now be an expensive boat anchor.  Hmmmm...gimbal, motors, etc not even warm - SO LUCKY! So, I took the guard off this time and relaunched to assess how bad the the gimbal damage was.  Thank the Almighty, everything seemed just fine. So, I went ahead and flew around fairly closely, taking the battery from 93 to 35%.

In that flying experience, IT HIT ME like a ton of bricks - What happened to that ever-present 3-5 degree tilt that always shows up?! Gone. It has not returned. Luck? Maybe. maybe not. The issue has not returned at all. I don't even have the yaw return to level problem (a completely different issue) anymore, after many subsequent flights.

The upshot is - I BELIEVE - there must be something to that theory that the gimbal ROLL shaft flat position can be a little off, and so maybe the gimbal lock forced a correction.  I have never opened the roll sensor case to see if that had ever been a problem. Maybe? Well, something fixed it, and that's the only out-of-the-ordinary thing that has happened.

Now, I think that did it (try it at your own risk), but there was one additional thing I did a few days later. I updated my firmware to 1.3.20, AND did the IMU and Gimbal calibrations - ALL (even the update) while keeping the aircraft motionless and FACING NORTH....  and playing Beachboys songs.  Maybe that was the icing on the cake. Just saying.

Thanks
Phil

Phantom 3 Advanced
300A Controller
Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 (Android 4.4.2) with WiFi and GPS only
Pilot App 1.2.0 (at the moment, because it works just fine)
Firmware 1.3.20

2015-8-19
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

AerialLens Posted at 2015-8-20 10:34
I had the tilt problem from DAY ONE - and has now disappeared completely. The cold IMU thing on a fl ...

the gimble shat and the sensor that is around the shaft definitely can be off, and if the issue is a physical one then no imu cal is gonna fix it. opening the back of the gimble and setting the shft and its sensor to a horizontal position would be the only way. or if u dont wanna mess with that then just use the gimble roll adjust function, i used that on y other p3p with a bent gimble and it was fine. pain in the butt though cus it resets itself to 0 upon shutdown so next flight u have to do it again , but it takes probably 20 seconds
2015-8-19
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

remove the back plate of the camera and either align or verify the axis pin is aligned……..there are youtube vids as to how……..unfortunately I had not bookmarked
2015-8-19
Use props
aaron.ferguson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1641752 ft
United Kingdom

I have the same problem but surely it can't be the gimbal shaft being off or IMU not calibrated as it STARTS OFF level but then goes off during movement (a yaw typically) but will recover if you stop. 1.3.20 helped a bit but it's still there so it looks like back to DJI...
2015-8-20
Use props
AerialLens
lvl.3

United States

aaron.ferguson@ Posted at 2015-8-20 16:07
I have the same problem but surely it can't be the gimbal shaft being off or IMU not calibrated as i ...

Oh, but surely it can. Ha! That is precisely what happened before - that is how it happens to everyone with that issue. Starts level, then goes goofy after a gentle left (usually) or right yaw...then stays for the most part. We are on the same page, believe me.
2015-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules