Mini 3 Pro - Is Fogging Still an Issue?
5497 39 2023-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Occams Razor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 423497 ft
United States

I'm going to be purchasing a Mini 3 Pro and wanted to know if users have been experiencing any lens fogging.  It looks like the chatter has died down so I'm assuming the problem was limited and affected a very small population.

Thank you for any feedback.

Randy
2023-2-15
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you for your interest in our product. During manufacturing, we usually remove the moisture before sealing the lens and ship out products after strictly following the inspection and testing procedure. Please stay assured this phenomenon will not occur. If any issue occurs after receipt of a product, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-2-15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Randy. Thanks for your interest in our product. During manufacturing, we usually remove the moisture before sealing the lens and ship out products after strictly following the inspection and testing procedure. Please stay assured that this phenomenon will not occur. If any issue occurs after receipt of a product, kindly contact us for help. Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you, and have a nice day.
2023-2-15
Use props
BodkinsBestPhotography
lvl.2

Canada

DJI Tony Posted at 2-15 19:41
Hi, Randy. Thanks for your interest in our product. During manufacturing, we usually remove the moisture before sealing the lens and ship out products after strictly following the inspection and testing procedure. Please stay assured that this phenomenon will not occur. If any issue occurs after receipt of a product, kindly contact us for help. Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you, and have a nice day.

You USUALLY do?  So every manufacturing day except Monday and Friday?  Why are there so many people having this issue?
2023-2-15
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Yes, I had it almost 5 times in a spate of 3 days but I went from a cold room to the warm outside so that may have triggered it. Still pondering if I should send it back
2023-2-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Curious why your getting Mini3 Pro when were about 100 days from Mini 4 release?
2023-2-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-16 01:03
Curious why your getting Mini3 Pro when were about 100 days from Mini 4 release?

I hope you are spot on with the Mini 4 release date.  
2023-2-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-16 03:43
I hope you are spot on with the Mini 4 release date.

They've been on an almost yearly cycle for a while now.
2023-2-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-16 04:36
They've been on an almost yearly cycle for a while now.

True and I hope that cycle continues.  I'm excited to see how much DJI can improve on the Mini 3 Pro.  Would still be nice to have cruise control and waypoints for the Mini 3 Pro.
2023-2-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-16 04:41
True and I hope that cycle continues.  I'm excited to see how much DJI can improve on the Mini 3 Pro.  Would still be nice to have cruise control and waypoints for the Mini 3 Pro.

Ive been doing some tests with waypoints the last couple of days.    Ive long wanted to take the same picture multiple times spread over weeks/months.    Ive experimented with the M2P waypoints and Litchi but none have been better than I could do myself (at least in some scenarios like building site where you can line things up for repeatability).   So far I repeated the same shot 4 times and used photoshop to align the layers.  that and a crop I can get something reasonable from the Mini3 waypoints.   the trick is to be a bit further away than you would compose the shot manually and use hyperlapse + raw/jpg to fly to a spot a take some images and then stop the waypoint mission.
2023-2-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-16 04:48
Ive been doing some tests with waypoints the last couple of days.    Ive long wanted to take the same picture multiple times spread over weeks/months.    Ive experimented with the M2P waypoints and Litchi but none have been better than I could do myself (at least in some scenarios like building site where you can line things up for repeatability).   So far I repeated the same shot 4 times and used photoshop to align the layers.  that and a crop I can get something reasonable from the Mini3 waypoints.   the trick is to be a bit further away than you would compose the shot manually and use hyperlapse + raw/jpg to fly to a spot a take some images and then stop the waypoint mission.

I guess I just prefer the auto mode for waypoints.  
2023-2-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-16 04:53
I guess I just prefer the auto mode for waypoints.

Indeed,   just trying to make something work with what Ive got.  
2023-2-16
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

SDK may allow sort-of waypoints with virtual sticks.
Its not as accurate but for non precision work its good enough on other models as long as its not too gusty.
2023-2-16
Use props
Occams Razor
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-16 01:03

Haha!  Mainly because I didn't know there is a Mini 4 so close to release date.    I've been very busy so not only have I not had much time to fly but I am disconnected from current updates.  I have $600 in Best Buy credit of which $300 expires in April so I thought I spend the credit on a Mini 3 Pro.   However, your post will cause me to rethink my strategy.

Thanks for the information.
2023-2-16
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-16 04:36
They've been on an almost yearly cycle for a while now.

I have heard nothing of a mini 4 , just an air 3 possibly sometime in may.
2023-2-16
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

BodkinsBestPhotography Posted at 2-15 23:02
You USUALLY do?  So every manufacturing day except Monday and Friday?  Why are there so many people having this issue?

We appreciate your input. To put it simply, the water vapor will condense on the lens when the temperature becomes rapidly higher. Similarly, our glasses usually fog up in winter when we suddenly enter a room with a higher temperature. However, the fog will dissipate itself when the ambient temperature is constant. Thanks for your understand. We hope you have a great day.
2023-2-16
Use props
BodkinsBestPhotography
lvl.2

Canada

DJI Tony Posted at 2-16 22:07
We appreciate your input. To put it simply, the water vapor will condense on the lens when the temperature becomes rapidly higher. Similarly, our glasses usually fog up in winter when we suddenly enter a room with a higher temperature. However, the fog will dissipate itself when the ambient temperature is constant. Thanks for your understand. We hope you have a great day.

The issue described is not fog on the outside of the lens.  It's fog on the INSIDE!
2023-2-16
Use props
Vương Sơn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 883320 ft
Vietnam

BodkinsBestPhotography Posted at 2-16 22:56
The issue described is not fog on the outside of the lens.  It's fog on the INSIDE!

Ở Viet Nam bị rất nhiều, nên họ chán bán thanh lý với giá rất rẻ. Vì gửi đi hãng để sửa rất phức tạp nhất là máy mua lại từ người khác (không có hóa đơn mua hàng).
Nhưng tôi đã tự sửa bằng cách thay gioăng và bôi mỡ chuyên dùng cho ống nhòm, kính thiên văn. Không có phòng hút ẩm, nên tôi dùng khò tóc để sấy hết hơi ẩm trong cam ra và lắp lại với gioăng mới. OK!
z3904179664702_2298e6fdad73dd05e9ce45b6644a47d3.jpg
2023-2-16
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Although I have had no issues with lens fogging, the reports from other members that I trust tell me that there must be something to it and perhaps your mileage will vary.  If I saw that happening, I would send it back for replacement.
2023-2-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Occams Razor Posted at 2-16 08:12
Haha!  Mainly because I didn't know there is a Mini 4 so close to release date.    I've been very busy so not only have I not had much time to fly but I am disconnected from current updates.  I have $600 in Best Buy credit of which $300 expires in April so I thought I spend the credit on a Mini 3 Pro.   However, your post will cause me to rethink my strategy.

Thanks for the information.

Dont get me wrong the Mini 3 Pro is a super little drone but as they have been yearly releases on the mini range it would seem like a good idea to wait a little.  
2023-2-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pastime Posted at 2-16 08:25
I have heard nothing of a mini 4 , just an air 3 possibly sometime in may.

With the yearly releases it would be a safe bet to expect one is coming.
2023-2-16
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-16 05:03
Indeed,   just trying to make something work with what Ive got.

Nothing wrong with that.  At least you have the know how to make it work for you.  
2023-2-17
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-16 23:30
With the yearly releases it would be a safe bet to expect one is coming.

I would think it will probably happen.
2023-2-17
Use props
Occams Razor
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-16 23:29
Dont get me wrong the Mini 3 Pro is a super little drone but as they have been yearly releases on the mini range it would seem like a good idea to wait a little.

I understand.  The Mini 4 release is not a sure thing but a May release would be aligned with the product cycle cadence.  That's the problem with buying technology products in that there is always something newer and potentially better just around the corner.  I'll be traveling for 3 weeks in March so I'll see what's swirling in the rumor mill when I return.  Thanks for the tip.
2023-2-17
Use props
BodkinsBestPhotography
lvl.2

Canada

Vương Sơn Posted at 2-16 23:24
Ở Viet Nam bị rất nhiều, nên họ chán bán thanh lý với giá rất rẻ. Vì gửi đi hãng để sửa rất phức tạp nhất là máy mua lại từ người khác (không có hóa đơn mua hàng).
Nhưng tôi đã tự sửa bằng cách thay gioăng và bôi mỡ chuyên dùng cho ống nhòm, kính thiên văn. Không có phòng hút ẩm, nên tôi dùng khò tóc để sấy hết hơi ẩm trong cam ra và lắp lại với gioăng mới. OK!

If I drop $1300 on a new product I expect it to f**ing work!
2023-2-17
Use props
PixelPro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1205715 ft
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-16 04:41
True and I hope that cycle continues.  I'm excited to see how much DJI can improve on the Mini 3 Pro.  Would still be nice to have cruise control and waypoints for the Mini 3 Pro.

That would be great. it's going to be a challenge for them to upgrade the camera for sure (hoping for 1inch like the AIR 2s
2023-2-17
Use props
Zhillz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2914944 ft
United States

It's likely that the majority of fogging complaints occurred during the humid summer months of July and August. However, since it is now winter, it's doubtful that this is still an issue.
2023-2-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Zhillz Posted at 2-17 17:03
It's likely that the majority of fogging complaints occurred during the humid summer months of July and August. However, since it is now winter, it's doubtful that this is still an issue.

Im still seeing them crop up on the Mini 3 Pro groups on FB, one is a UK group and its winter here...

I am yet to see any fogging with mine, although, I do have at least 10 silica bags of varying sizes in my backpack, thats mostly in case it goes in the bag a little damp.
2023-2-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pastime Posted at 2-17 08:08
I would think it will probably happen.

I do too. and if they keep up the year cycle I should be able to get a free one from Argos again.
2023-2-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Occams Razor Posted at 2-17 10:24
I understand.  The Mini 4 release is not a sure thing but a May release would be aligned with the product cycle cadence.  That's the problem with buying technology products in that there is always something newer and potentially better just around the corner.  I'll be traveling for 3 weeks in March so I'll see what's swirling in the rumor mill when I return.  Thanks for the tip.

No worries OR.   
2023-2-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

PixelPro Posted at 2-17 15:17
That would be great. it's going to be a challenge for them to upgrade the camera for sure (hoping for 1inch like the AIR 2s

No doubt it will be a challenge.  Especially if they try to put a larger camera on it as they will still aim for keeping the weight under 249G I'm sure.  
2023-2-18
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

BodkinsBestPhotography Posted at 2-16 22:56
The issue described is not fog on the outside of the lens.  It's fog on the INSIDE!

May we know if you are encountering such an issue? Please let us know. We'll be happy to assist you with your concerns. Thank you.
2023-2-19
Use props
Billy.RKV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2922815 ft
Portugal

Yes the fog on this drone model is still existent.
I’ve had several different units, from different manufacture dates, still presenting fog inside the lens.
2023-2-22
Use props
Drey. I
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1757375 ft
  • >>>
United States

I dont have it
2023-2-23
Use props
djiuser_kKGKnB0FIILK
New

United Kingdom

I had this issue with my mini 3 pro, reported it and sent the unit to DJI. They acknowledged and confirmed the fault. replaced it with a refurbished unit although at the time i was told it was a 'new' unit. replacement arrives and same issue. They now want to have it back to fix/replace/through against a wall..... another week without the drone because they have awful quality control and even worse customer service. Annoyingly i've just purchases a ronin gimbal from amazon - i'll aim to never purchase from them again.
2023-3-13
Use props
djiuser_5EX0nJLTThvr
New

United Kingdom

It’s still an issue. Received drone 15/8/23 from DJI
2023-8-15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_5EX0nJLTThvr Posted at 8-15 12:38
It’s still an issue. Received drone 15/8/23 from DJI

Hello there. I'm sorry about the trouble. Can you please send us a photo or a video showing the issue for further inspection? We are more than glad to help you. Have a great day ahead.
2023-8-18
Use props
EingeLVF
lvl.1
Flight distance : 342598 ft

Uruguay

it happens only a few times to me idk why. but here is a good video to fix that if happens to much times to you
https://youtube.com/shorts/h9zyKQa9Ppc?feature=share
2023-8-18
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

Just happened with for the first time (its first monsoon season for my mini 3 pro) thinking of re seating the rubber O ring with silicon paste. No official Dji repair center in India.
2023-8-21
Use props
nazgull
lvl.2
Canada

....the thing is, if you're going to open a sealed lense, you need be VERY sure the humdity of the air is very low before re-sealing it...or, it'll happen again...

"It's cold in the Yukon, but it's a dry cold" Perhaps freezers can be pretty dry places, or perhaps running a de-humidifier a long time in a sealed room might be an idea...
2023-8-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules