Zoom on 4K Videos
2875 19 2023-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DynamoD2D
lvl.1

United States

Hello,
I have a question...If you use the zoom function on 4K does it reduce the resolution or does it retain 4K?

I'm looking to use 4K so I don't see a lot of degragation on crops while editing. If the zoom reduces 4K down it will not work for my use.

Thanks!
2023-2-15
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

You will still get 4K but the footage will have digital zoom so it will looks like 1080 or 720 depend how much you zoom in.
Always best to do zoom in post production, but not as much as 2x zoom.

If the video is ment for phones, then you can do more zoom.
2023-2-15
Use props
DynamoD2D
lvl.1

United States

johansenfoto Posted at 2-15 12:09
You will still get 4K but the footage will have digital zoom so it will looks like 1080 or 720 depend how much you zoom in.
Always best to do zoom in post production, but not as much as 2x zoom.

Thanks! I was using another action cam-- Akaso and it did 1080/120FPS. I use 120FPS for baseball so I can playback in slo-mo. Once I cropped in on my son at 1B and it looked like it was sub 480P

2023-2-15
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I fel you shoot video, and once starting to use  rocksteady and horizon balance with Dewp you are already cropping on the full sensor, you can zoon up to a percentage, but maybe gopro and Insta are to belooked at but also going  to overheat all day filming good luck, shoot 4K and  crop in for 1080P like Jo,,, said

2023-2-15
Use props
DynamoD2D
lvl.1

United States

Fishycomics Posted at 2-15 12:58
I fel you shoot video, and once starting to use  rocksteady and horizon balance with Dewp you are already cropping on the full sensor, you can zoon up to a percentage, but maybe gopro and Insta are to belooked at but also going  to overheat all day filming good luck, shoot 4K and  crop in for 1080P like Jo,,, said

Thanks Fishy! I will not be using rocksteady or horizon balance...Just 4K/60FPS. I tried to film in 4K/120 and the camera overheats in like 20 mins. 4K/60FPS I can film for over 3 hours with no overheating on external power with no battery. 60FPS isn't the absolute best for slo-motion but it will do. I can crop and my videos don' look like garbage. I haven't tried the zoom.
2023-2-15
Use props
PixelPro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1205715 ft
United States

The resolution is still technically there but it will look less detailed.
2023-2-15
Use props
m326
lvl.4
United Kingdom

The video is of lower quality as seem in this video clip...
(only just uploaded so give YouTube time to process it)

2023-2-15
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

DynamoD2D Posted at 2-15 13:04
Thanks Fishy! I will not be using rocksteady or horizon balance...Just 4K/60FPS. I tried to film in 4K/120 and the camera overheats in like 20 mins. 4K/60FPS I can film for over 3 hours with no overheating on external power with no battery. 60FPS isn't the absolute best for slo-motion but it will do. I can crop and my videos don' look like garbage. I haven't tried the zoom.

their digital zoon is  cropping I totally forgot this camera can do that.     I try like 1.5 and see how it looks
2023-2-15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Thanks for reaching out. Yes, the resolution will remain at 4K after zooming. But as mentioned in the comments above, quality will be impacted. Osmo Action 3 uses digital zoom, which is different from optical zoom. For electronic technology, digital zoom is equivalent to magnifying the photo area using image processing software, which also magnifies the pixels. Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you, and have a nice day.
2023-2-15
Use props
DynamoD2D
lvl.1

United States

Thanks everyone...I'll experiment and let you know how it turns out.
2023-2-16
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26296 ft
United States

Never zoom on an action cam. Try in post. That gives you 4k full frame, and then see how much crop, pan,zoom it can handle. i do like 10% max 20% be4 it looks to bad.
2023-2-16
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

DynamoD2D Posted at 2-16 02:13
Thanks everyone...I'll experiment and let you know how it turns out.

You are most welcome. Best of luck with your tests. Happy filming!
2023-2-16
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

zoom with the cam
4k/50Fps

2023-2-16
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

lutzmix Posted at 2-16 23:11
zoom with the cam
4k/50Fps

It actually look good up to 2x or so
2023-2-16
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

Smartphone & gimbal ?

with the new DJI & Zhiyun models you can select the lens

main lens fov 80⁰

IMG_20230217_095251.jpg
2023-2-17
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

lutzmix Posted at 2-17 00:39
Smartphone & gimbal ?

with the new DJI & Zhiyun models you can select the lens

offer the smartphones Optical zoom.
2023-2-17
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

new sony have optical zoom

Sony Xperia 1 IV

Xiaomi 13 pro
2023-2-17
Use props
DynamoD2D
lvl.1

United States

hurtighansen1 Posted at 2-16 06:09
Never zoom on an action cam. Try in post. That gives you 4k full frame, and then see how much crop, pan,zoom it can handle. i do like 10% max 20% be4 it looks to bad.

Thanks! I will experiment with both. The team has some on field practices prior to the start of the season. I will figure out if the zoom is full frame 4K or if it degrades the resolution. I have yet to put the camera on a baseball backstop to determine. This is what 2K/60 looked like on my Akaso V50 Elite. It was shot with no zoom and when I cropped it doesn't look too bad. https://youtu.be/KSXE8qR_w5s

Same camera-- 1080P/120 when I cropped the image fell apart. https://youtu.be/p64QRwyxk9c

Going from 120 to 60FPS will be a slight sacrifice. My hope is that with 4K I will get much better res on crops.  
2023-2-17
Use props
DynamoD2D
lvl.1

United States

m326 Posted at 2-15 13:32
The video is of lower quality as seem in this video clip...
(only just uploaded so give YouTube time to process it)
https://youtu.be/OVSrVe_qKp8

Thank you...I looked at the video in high res. Interesting. I would say the zoom doesn't look like it's doing too much to reduce the overall resolution. It's making the image much noisier for sure. The image is very tricky with all of the trees. I looked at the trees in the distance on the horizon line of the shot. It doesn't seem like there is as much noise in those trees as there is in the closer trees in the field. The closer trees have lots of closer branches and they are overlapping. It looks like whatever digital algorithm they are using to resolve image boundaries is getting confused. The decision it makes on the closer trees is not as firm. Makes me wonder if a less cluttered image would yield less noisy results.
2023-2-17
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

DynamoD2D Posted at 2-17 06:29
Thanks! I will experiment with both. The team has some on field practices prior to the start of the season. I will figure out if the zoom is full frame 4K or if it degrades the resolution. I have yet to put the camera on a baseball backstop to determine. This is what 2K/60 looked like on my Akaso V50 Elite. It was shot with no zoom and when I cropped it doesn't look too bad. https://youtu.be/KSXE8qR_w5s

Same camera-- 1080P/120 when I cropped the image fell apart. https://youtu.be/p64QRwyxk9c

do not over think or worry, just go out there and do some tests without the team . Any action camera will  basically make things look micro small

I did  test and man good luck trying to see it

2023-2-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules