Horizon leveling AND RockSteady
2399 9 2023-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans2c8b15c2
lvl.4
Belgium

Just a question to the forum members... I only have my action cam for two weeks and was wondering why it does not seem to be possible to combine the horizon leveling and rocksteady features? You can only select the one or the other. I did not have the change yet to try the horizon leveling in the field, so I don't know if my videos will be straight but shocky again (I am using it mostly on my mountainbike). Any other members who have experimented with this already? Can someone also explain why it's not possible to have both at the same time? Thanks.
2023-2-16
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I feel you get Rocksteady in Horizon balance , and hte camera crops additional for HB
2023-2-16
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Funny you ask because I was just experimenting with the different stabilizations yesterday - finally. I mostly use the camera on my bike and so far I always used RockSteady because that gives me the option to have the widest field of view, whereas HorizonAnything will severely limit the FOV due to cropping.

Granted, I don't do mountain biking, just road, but I have tested the different stabs on really bad road conditions. I found that RockSteady gave me better results than HorizonAnything. HorizonAnything is not bad at all, but I noticed RockSteady seem to restrict or control more the up/down movements of the bike.

Based on videos other people uploaded, it seems HorizonAnything is more suited for boats or airplanes, skiing or anything that has side-to-side movement or tilting, whereas bikes usually just move up/down. At least that's my impression.

I have seen some dope mounting biking dudes who really pushing the limit so maybe under those circumstances HorizonAnything is more helpful than RockSteady. I guess you just have to experiment. But overall I am very satisfied with the results of RockSteady so far for my biking trips.
2023-2-16
Use props
fans2c8b15c2
lvl.4
Belgium

Fishycomics Posted at 2-16 03:55
I feel you get Rocksteady in Horizon balance , and hte camera crops additional for HB

Thanks for your feedback, will give it a try then to see if the cropping doesn't get too bad.
2023-2-16
Use props
fans2c8b15c2
lvl.4
Belgium

osmonauta Posted at 2-16 04:26
Funny you ask because I was just experimenting with the different stabilizations yesterday - finally. I mostly use the camera on my bike and so far I always used RockSteady because that gives me the option to have the widest field of view, whereas HorizonAnything will severely limit the FOV due to cropping.

Granted, I don't do mountain biking, just road, but I have tested the different stabs on really bad road conditions. I found that RockSteady gave me better results than HorizonAnything. HorizonAnything is not bad at all, but I noticed RockSteady seem to restrict or control more the up/down movements of the bike.

Have been using RockSteady already which indeed gives good results. But because the camera on my chest wasn't completely straight or moving, the horizon on many of the clips wasn't straight either. I had to correct them all manually in my video editing tool. I was hoping 'horizon leveling' was going to prevent this. But like you suggest, if too much cropping is involved, it would be a pity also. Thanks for your feedback!
2023-2-16
Use props
Robox
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343727 ft
Russia

Horizon balance seems to me not to be used on a bicycle - the effect of presence is lost when turning with a tilt of the bicycle. Horizon balance is more suitable for carrying a camera in your hand.
2023-2-16
Use props
fans2c8b15c2
lvl.4
Belgium

Robox Posted at 2-16 05:47
Horizon balance seems to me not to be used on a bicycle - the effect of presence is lost when turning with a tilt of the bicycle. Horizon balance is more suitable for carrying a camera in your hand.

You may be right! When the horizon tilts when you are cornering isn't too bad. My issue was that even when I was riding straight, the horizon was tilted. That was probably caused by fixing my camera on the chest strap under an angle. I'll have to take better care of that ;-)
2023-2-16
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

On a bike   and  I hold my camera, if you are on the chest , then have you at least done what is on the camera, calibrate the horizon????
2023-2-16
Use props
fans2c8b15c2
lvl.4
Belgium

Fishycomics Posted at 2-16 06:47
On a bike   and  I hold my camera, if you are on the chest , then have you at least done what is on the camera, calibrate the horizon????

Holding the camera on a mountainbike? Then you must be a stuntman! ;-) I wouldn't risk that, need my two hands on the handlebar. But yes, that's one of the first things I did, calibrate the horizon on the cam. Thanks for the suggestion though! If you fix it under an angle, it records under the same angle (RockSteady selected). So, I have to better watch out to fix it straight next time... or use the level balancing and accept the additional crop.
2023-2-16
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

fans2c8b15c2 Posted at 2-16 06:57
Holding the camera on a mountainbike? Then you must be a stuntman! ;-) I wouldn't risk that, need my two hands on the handlebar. But yes, that's one of the first things I did, calibrate the horizon on the cam. Thanks for the suggestion though! If you fix it under an angle, it records under the same angle (RockSteady selected). So, I have to better watch out to fix it straight next time... or use the level balancing and accept the additional crop.

4K HB  wide  or higher FOV, try 2.7K and its 360 HB

the crop is not going to  ruin the  shot if asked (SMILES)

2023-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules