Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Let's add audio recording feature to our Phantoms: here is how!
11021 76 2015-8-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
geoffreywolter
lvl.1
United States

giufini Posted at 2015-8-21 03:46
Hello geoffreywolter,

probably you have spent more time writing your reply than reading my posts. ...

No need to get snarky, I read all of your posts, this isn't a very long thread. Good luck with your endeavor.
2015-8-21
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

Guess you missed out on my idea of Pontoons for water landings.  Someone just won a few pesos from DJI for the design.  Get ahead of the game!
http://3dprint.com/91021/shapeways-3d-print-drones/
Grand Prize: Fusion Marine FM1
2015-8-22
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

Skater67 Posted at 2015-8-23 09:47
Guess you missed out on my idea of Pontoons for water landings.  Someone just won a few pesos from D ...

Oh wow thats a thing worth wasting hot plastic on !!!
2015-8-22
Use props
DaGunn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 203117 ft
United States

giufini Posted at 2015-8-20 14:51
Thanks to all of you guys!
I have appreciated every single comment that you have posted here, both p ...

How about a speaker mount so that we can speak from the phantom.  Maybe two-way communication.  Or just play loud music as we fly, like Flight of the Valkries!  

Keep thinking sir, you are inventor type!
2015-8-22
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

check out the link
2015-8-22
Use props
SkySurfer
lvl.2

United States

giufini Posted at 2015-8-20 23:41
Hi pcmaconly, I can 3D print this iPad Holder Extension for you.
If you wish more info, please con ...

Sent you 2 emalls but no reply

( check your spam folder )
2015-8-23
Use props
innovativethink
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Without experiments life would be pretty dull.

Thanks for posting your results.  
2015-8-23
Use props
giufini
lvl.2
Flight distance : 399039 ft
Italy

SkySurfer Posted at 2015-8-23 16:08
Sent you 2 emalls but no reply

( check your spam folder )

Hi SkySurfer, I have been very busy during the last few days... I am sorry for the delay.

I am working on the Tablet Holder Extension and currently I am designing the 3D model. I guess it could be ready for the print within few days. Anyway the cheapest shipment to US from Italy costs 10,90 EUR (Standard Postal Service without tracking number) and the package is usually delivered within 8-10 working days.
To the cost of the shipment you should add the cost of the 3D print, let's say 8,50 EUR, so the total cost would be 19,40 EUR (22,90 US $). Is it an acceptable price in your opinion?

Giuseppe
2015-8-24
Use props
SkySurfer
lvl.2

United States

giufini Posted at 2015-8-24 22:25
Hi SkySurfer, I have been very busy during the last few days... I am sorry for the delay.

I am wo ...

email sent

thank you
2015-8-24
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

Results of Audio filtering experiment, not great but IMHO,  interesting.  May have filtered out too much of the higher frequencies but it is much less irritating.  Thanks to Giufini for making the video with his 3D printed holder attached!  

http://youtu.be/-3fePJ6sRpk

Raw Frequency Spectrum

Raw Frequency Spectrum
Audio Frequency Spectrum after HF noise filtering and LF wind noise filtering.jpg
2015-8-26
Use props
lvl.4

United States

I'll just use your audio and loop it onto a video.  Same thing.  Just enjoying noise over and over.
2015-8-26
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

eventually there will be a system able to project an invisible tunnel through the first 20 feet from the quad and pick up only what is past that point. Such technology already exists but needs to be properly tailored to these machines.

I like the idea of a simple way of recording video from the ground control device and overlaying it on the quad flight. This way you could narrate the flight and also pick up some background noise such as waves near the ocean, the sound of a concert in the park, etc.
2015-8-26
Use props
lvl.4

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-8-27 09:41
eventually there will be a system able to project an invisible tunnel through the first 20 feet from ...

Really?  My phantom sounds like a bee hive from 200 feet away when I'm on the ground away from it.  Better be a damn good system to negate that
2015-8-26
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
United States

CaveDrone Posted at 2015-8-27 08:24
Results of Audio filtering experiment, not great but IMHO,  interesting.  May have filtered out too  ...

Added the Audio Frequency Spectrum charts.  Interesting fact,  human speech generally ranges from 250HZ and 8KHZ, most people can understand speech 77%  of the time within a range of 250HZ to 2.5KHZ   This was an interesting project, learned a few things. Jim
2015-8-27
Use props
giufini
lvl.2
Flight distance : 399039 ft
Italy

CaveDrone Posted at 2015-8-27 02:24
Results of Audio filtering experiment, not great but IMHO,  interesting.  May have filtered out too  ...

You are welcome CaveDrone!!

Thanks for your contribution, it has been certainly much appreciated ;-)
2015-8-28
Use props
NtzPrinter
lvl.1

United States

I want to mount a loudspeaker on my P3Pro so I can yell things at people riding past my pier in their pontoon boats or whatever! Maybe shout good luck to the bass fisherman as they roar by every Saturday at 5 a.m. trying to win their Bass Tournaments. They probably couldn't hear me yelling over the roar of their extremely over powered bass boats with V8 engines and straight pipes but it would be fun to try...

Can you design a way to mount a very small but LOUD speaker on the PS3? Actually this thought did cross my mind but seriously I'm doing all I can not to upset my neighbors. It seems like everyday I see something about some nitwit flying in a restricted area (such as an airfield) or something and it makes me cringe. If users don't fly responsibly we are going to get our drones outlawed in the U.S. or worse, DJI will start putting all kinds of GPS restrictions in their firmware updates essentially dictating where we can and cannot fly. Didn't I just hear about the whole area within a 15 mile radius of Washington DC is off limits via a firware upgrade? This was done after the drunken federal employee crashed a P2 on the White House lawn. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Great work on designing your iPod mount guifini but I really don't get the point of hearing prop buzz on my videos.
2015-8-28
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

Kyokushin Posted at 2015-8-21 09:54
useless, but record a track with comments from a control device would be nice.

You can already do this by recording directly on the iPad or Android device then adding this audio track to your video in post. I'd strongly suggest using a lav mic or something other than the iPad's internal mic.

As opposed to the idea of adding hardware and hanging it on a P3 to record rotor and wind noise, then removing this noise in post (which I think is kinda goofy - sorry, just being honest), recording audio, dialogue, and such, at the point of control is actually pretty useful.
2015-8-28
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-8-28
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

dmwierz Posted at 2015-8-28 17:38
You can already do this by recording directly on the iPad or Android device then adding this audio  ...

I know about adding in post. You can do it on PC, but i would like to record audio from tablet (comments) during flight, it would save some time.
2015-8-28
Use props
challenger451
lvl.2

United States

Could you take that sound thing off.  It's quite annoying.  
Your point is??
Here is a better idea.  I have recorded sound of people and places that I've shot video and just synced it to the video.  That is enjoyable listening.

The drone of a drone engine is not enjoyable.
2015-8-28
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

Kyokushin Posted at 2015-8-28 16:03
I know about adding in post. You can do it on PC, but i would like to record audio from tablet (co ...

That IS what I meant. You add the sound recorded at the tablet to the Phantom 3's video in post.

Are you trying to figure out how to directly add tablet sound to the video being recorded with the Phantom 3? That would require somehow getting the sound from the tablet to the Phantom, or recording your live feed and having a voiceover feature on whatever you're using to record itl
This is WAY more complicated than it needs to be, and BTW, WAY lower quality than recording with at the tablet with a good microphone and adding it in post.

2015-8-30
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

But you can make a live stream to youtube with a video and sound from tablet. I mean about similar option, and write it on tablet.
2015-8-31
Use props
QaaUz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 240161 ft
Denmark

dbeck@promobox. Posted at 2015-8-20 19:36
Sorry,  recording audio of buzzing prop noises is a lame and wasteful concept.  Have fun with your e ...

We're obviously having fun - dumb as it may or may not be. I don't think we share to argue. If you feel like a laugh, fill yr boots up man - I reckon you only mean well, but yr saying folks r lame and wasteful - in regard the 'concept'. If that's so, and you really can see that, then it might be conjectured that the attempt you make is 'lame and wateful' since you must realize that it'll have no effect in regards your desire.
Blending in the sound as sound effect, said giufini. Just one example of an approach that has no use for outside pre adjudging the persons doings.
I hope you'll take this to reflection and gain.
All the best and good safe enjoyable flight.
2015-9-5
Use props
QaaUz
lvl.2
Denmark

geoffreywolter@ Posted at 2015-8-20 20:49
Ok, my $.02... Audio from the quad is a perfectly fine idea, but as someone who used to deal with au ...

R-Pi could be good also for other sensing in the long run. Thx4the thought.
2015-9-5
Use props
QaaUz
lvl.2
Denmark

bobasbury Posted at 2015-8-21 16:37
If you wanted to achieve both of those, why not put a digital audio recorder on a 20 foot (more or l ...

That might not be such a .... You might have something there. I've a H4 zoom (not light). At the right time, there are herds of deer and I'd sore appreciate some of the ambience around. I have little time for this otherwise I'd provide feedback in short time.
Much wind here often - think it might swing.
Maybe a spring or rubber to dampen vibes through the 'rope' and a wind hat.
2015-9-5
Use props
QaaUz
lvl.2
Denmark

CaveDrone Posted at 2015-8-27 02:24

Nice work - checked your YT results.
2015-9-5
Use props
QaaUz
lvl.2
Denmark

I've read your thread, understood you - I think, as you intend. This is now hours later, and many months of reflection. I think, deep within, the magic of the ambient sound of the birds, the tractor working a field, chain saws in the woods or at a mill, this is somehow what I (we?) miss. The constructors at work, hammers being used on a roof repair. The finer overtones, frequencies that identify, will be affected by noise removal - and what a noise! The 'man on the roof' scenario, I had last week - to do a correct rendering of the situation, the man would have had a recorder with him (and a clap board). It will always be a comprimise - bird and bees - and a drone on airodynamics rather than gravity control - I've been seeing through mist :-) Thanks4 eveything. Good flying and surveying.
2015-9-5
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
United States

QaaUz Posted at 2015-9-5 21:47
I've read your thread, understood you - I think, as you intend. This is now hours later, and many mo ...

QaaUz, Well said.  Your thought are appreciated.  I have responded, as you already know  to your comments on youtube.  
2015-9-6
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

Good idea. My brother has a pair of noise cancelling headphones for when he goes shooting guns. They work very well. Made me also think about the headsets real pilots use, and how they seem to have the same ability.

Directional microphones.
http://www.learningaboutelectron ... ectional-microphone
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep00/articles/direction.htm

Noise cancelling headphones.
http://www.earplugstore.com/earmuffs.html

If you are shooting a professional movie, audio would come from a foley artist.., but some good reasons for live audio would be awareness of your drone, other drones and aircraft, vehicles, people, wildlife, wind, communication/direction etc..
2015-9-13
Use props
jennings93
lvl.3
Flight distance : 820102 ft
Australia

I agree that the sound of the motors, say from a GoPro 4, that can be edited down in volume and mixed with other sound is very useful and appropriate depending on your final output audience. I was very disappointed when using the Phantom 3 at first, what no sound.
So what I did was record the sound of the quadcopter from an external video camera and then when I need motor sounds I import that sound file into the project. You can record different sounds, ie ascending/descending etc for different effects.
One good thing about external camera recording is you dont get the wind noise just motor noise.
Cheers
2015-10-4
Use props
clkilljoy1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15207 ft
United States

My first Quad was the P2+, with a GoPro. I kind of miss the rotor noise too.  All be it annoying it was still cool to hear.
2015-10-5
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

I tried a similar experiment with a Phantom 2 w/ H3-3D last year.  I was curious about what, if any, kind of audio I could pick up if the microphone was some distance away from the Phantom.  I found an external mic on eBay that I could plug into my GoPro and it dangled about 6 feet below the Phantom.  I flew up to about 200 feet overhead and then started talking and then shouting at the Phantom to see if it would be able to pick up anything.  Basically... no.  

And fortunate for me I live out a half-mile from my nearest neighbor so no one saw me screaming at the sky.
GOPR0405_ExternalMic.jpg
2015-10-5
Use props
Phuglie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

gil Posted at 2015-10-5 11:57
I tried a similar experiment with a Phantom 2 w/ H3-3D last year.  I was curious about what, if any, ...

Care to post what it actually picked up? ... wind ... birds ... other aircraft ? Military laser canon?
2015-10-8
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

Interesting approach but why do you want audio?  All I hear is buzzing.
2015-10-8
Use props
buzzcbr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316545 ft
United Kingdom

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-19 22:01
In my humble opinion that is the most useless modification i have ever seen, but sorry man it is a V ...

I agree 100% with you !! waste of time, money and effort.
2015-10-8
Use props
thevaughngroup
lvl.1

United States

Kyokushin Posted at 2015-8-21 09:54
useless, but record a track with comments from a control device would be nice.

Yes, it would be great if the RC had audio recording capability. That would be more useful than listening to the swarm of bees I think.
2015-12-25
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-12-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules