Still Can't fly indoors
1528 12 2015-8-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lyle
lvl.1

United States

We purchased the P3 partly due to its claim of non-GPS flight because we may be doing inspections indoors at large facilities.
Mine still drifts indoors and I must constantly manually fly it which makes taking pictures difficult.
I've updated to the latest firmware on the P3, batteries, and remote.
I'm flying in a large room with a concrete floor. The floor is marked with old glue patterns from carpet removal so I would think there would be enough there for the P3 to see.
I even threw some books on the floor to help out.
I'm flying in "P" mode.
Any ideas?
2015-8-19
Use props
SectorDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1114649 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

IS the same EVERY INDOOR ? VPS is only good around 10M height...  
2015-8-19
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

SectorDrone Posted at 2015-8-20 09:39
IS the same EVERY INDOOR ? VPS is only good around 10M height...

i thought it was 3 meters or nearly 10', at least i thought thats what it says in the manual.how is the lighting, cuz it also needs somewhat of a good lighting
2015-8-19
Use props
Tim DJI
DJI team

Hong Kong

As Ray already said VPS system works only in altitude of 3m, needs good lightning, and some pattern on the floor.. it is  useful for safe take off and landing , but if, let's say you're going to fly high in a big building, I would  recommend you to improve your ATTI  skills
2015-8-19
Use props
Lyle
lvl.1

United States

I'm test flying in a large room about 6'-10' (2-3 meters) above the floor. The lighting is pretty good, florescent and windows.
I'm certainly getting better at manual flight, but it would be nice not to have to concentrate on positioning when trying to take pictures or video.
That's where the Inspire would come in handy, I guess.
Have any of you successfully flown indoors yet?
2015-8-23
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Flying indoors requires flying manually.  There is no substitute for skill and practice.
2015-8-23
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

What boldly stood out was "concrete floor" and guessing it would have much rebar…..whether that would be the cause or not I do not know.
2015-8-23
Use props
Lyle
lvl.1

United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-8-24 00:03
Flying indoors requires flying manually.  There is no substitute for skill and practice.

That's understood and I can fly manually pretty well.  But, the Phantom 3 is advertised as having the ultrasonic and visual flight stabilization for non-GPS flight. This does not appear to be working for me as I think it should. I'm trying to figure out what I should expect and if it's working or not. I've seen videos of indoor flight and the thing is rock steady, just like outdoors with GPS. Mine drifts. It will not lock into place like I think it should.
From the responses here, it seems not many people have tried the indoor flight.
2015-8-26
Use props
Flyhigh7887
lvl.3

Sweden

Hi Lyle,

As stated by a few here, the VPS is only "active" until around 3 meters/ 10 feet. It is not meant for position stabilization higher than that. I fly mine around my apartment all of the time, but to be honest I do it when no one else is home. I try to use these times as practice flying for tight situations.

The VPS is handy in some situations, and works as advertised. Mostly I would just try to practice as much "manual" flying as possible for indoors, without the reliance on VPS or anything else. You will pick it up and be able to get some decent shots once you come to terms with your surroundings & the P3 itself.

p.s.- if you are going to be flying inside mainly, I imagine that prop guards will be your new best buddy...

Good luck & enjoy it!

edit: do turn off P mode when flying indoors, if by chance you snatch a gps signal it can go a bit wonky at times...
2015-8-26
Use props
paullindqvist
lvl.2

Sweden

I'v yet to see a video where VPS is responsible for the rock steady part of the flight. Any links ?
2015-8-26
Use props
jackiedh
Second Officer
Flight distance : 83589314 ft
  • >>>
United States

Flyhigh7887 Posted at 2015-8-26 21:29
Hi Lyle,

As stated by a few here, the VPS is only "active" until around 3 meters/ 10 feet. It is no ...

How do you turn off P Mode?

Thanks

Jack
2015-8-26
Use props
Lyle
lvl.1

United States

paullindqvist Posted at 2015-8-26 10:49
I'v yet to see a video where VPS is responsible for the rock steady part of the flight. Any links ?

Here's the one I was thinking of. Not ROCK steady, but way better than what mine is doing.
Notice it takes a while to lock in, but once it does, it seems to work well.
Mine drifts all over the place.
2015-8-31
Use props
paullindqvist
lvl.2

Sweden

Pretty much ideal circumstances, a clear pattern on the floor, no uniformed color right height. It would be helpful if we could at least see the environment you have tested in ?

2015-8-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules