Rc connection cable question
881 24 2023-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Droningon12
lvl.1

United States

So I ordered a Dji mini 2 on Wednesday (February 15) and it's getting here tomorrow (February 19). I'm planning on using my iPad to see the video, but it has a problem where it will only charge if the charger is at a certain angle. If it isn't at that certain angle, it will stop charging. Will that mean that the rc cable will also stop working if it isn't at that certain angle? I wouldn't want to lose the camera view and have $450 go down the drain.

Edit: I already tried cleaning the charging port, but that didn't resolve the issue. I tried using a different charger, nothing. So it's probably the charging port.
2023-2-18
Use props
Ph3onix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2341886 ft
France

Hi what is your ipad model?
2023-2-18
Use props
Ph3onix
Second Officer
France

I'll be you I won't take the risk, repairing the charging port for ipad is easy to do, there are plenty of tutorials on youtube and the port itself costs a maximum of $15. It would be a shame to lose a $450 drone for an iPad part that is only worth $15 max
2023-2-18
Use props
Droningon12
lvl.1

United States

Ph3onix Posted at 2-18 13:53
Hi what is your ipad model?

iPad Air 3rd generation
2023-2-18
Use props
Ph3onix
Second Officer
France

Droningon12 Posted at 2-18 14:18
iPad Air 3rd generation

It costs 5$ on ebay and 3$ on Ali......
2023-2-18
Use props
Ph3onix
Second Officer
France

I think it's not worth taking a risk for your drone given the price of the catch.
2023-2-18
Use props
Droningon12
lvl.1

United States

Ph3onix Posted at 2-18 14:37
It costs 5$ on ebay and 3$ on Ali......

Yea uh… I searched up the tutorials… I don’t even have a fraction of the skill and gadgets to repair/replace the charging port…
2023-2-18
Use props
Ph3onix
Second Officer
France

Droningon12 Posted at 2-18 14:54
Yea uh… I searched up the tutorials… I don’t even have a fraction of the skill and gadgets to repair/replace the charging port…

don't you have a phone store near you?
  because they also do it but you will pay a bit more but not a big sum either, around $30 to $40 at the most
2023-2-18
Use props
Droningon12
lvl.1

United States

Ph3onix Posted at 2-18 15:11
  because they also do it but you will pay a bit more but not a big sum either, around $30 to $40 at the most

Yea I have 2 stores near me
2023-2-18
Use props
Droningon12
lvl.1

United States

Also wait… what even does the rc cable do? What happens if it gets disconnected?
2023-2-18
Use props
Droningon12
lvl.1

United States

Because all this repairing and hassle could be pointless if the rc cable’s only purpose is  just so your devices battery doesn’t drain… then it would be pointless to have it connected.
2023-2-18
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Droningon12. Thank you for reaching out. It seems that your iPad might have a loose charging port already so we won't recommend using it as you might get disconnected from the drone while flying it. Hope this helps. Thank you for your support.
2023-2-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Droningon12 Posted at 2-18 15:25
Also wait… what even does the rc cable do? What happens if it gets disconnected?  +   Because all this repairing and hassle could be pointless if the rc  cable’s only purpose is  just so your devices battery doesn’t drain…  then it would be pointless to have it connected.

I am not sure if those comments are meant as jokes but I will assume not.

Have you read or even looked at the drone's manual?

Regarding the function of the cable.

1) It passes data i.e. video, telemetry, settings etc. back and forth between the controller and the ipad.
2) Without the cable connection you lose
    a) imagery,
    b) access to visual warning messages and maybe audio warnings too,
    c) the ability to change settings.
Plus range and height maybe be limited and you maybe be unable to even fly the drone.

With Apple devices its charging of the device, ipad or iphone, is probably very limited.  Charging is only a significant feature when using Android devices.

2023-2-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Droningon12 Posted at 2-18 15:25
Also wait… what even does the rc cable do? What happens if it gets disconnected?

what even does the rc cable do? What happens if it gets disconnected?
It carries the data connection between the controller and tablet.
Lose that and you can't see the picture and telemetry from the drone.
But the drone is still controllable, which is fine if you can see it.

2023-2-18
Use props
Droningon12
lvl.1

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-18 18:48
I am not sure if those comments are meant as jokes but I will assume not.

Have you read or even looked at the drone's manual?

Nope they are not, and remember I haven’t gotten the drone yet and I’m new to the hobby so yea
2023-2-18
Use props
Droningon12
lvl.1

United States

I will use my phone to fly the drone, but how long should it take for the phone store or whatever to repair my iPads charging port?
2023-2-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Droningon12 Posted at 2-18 20:37
Nope they are not, and remember I haven’t gotten the drone yet and I’m new to the hobby so yea

the manual is here
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _User_Manual-EN.pdf
2023-2-19
Use props
Droningon12
lvl.1

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-19 01:38
the manual is here
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI_Mini_2/20210630/DJI_Mini_2_User_Manual-EN.pdf

Ok thank you
2023-2-19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Droningon12 Posted at 2-18 20:41
I will use my phone to fly the drone, but how long should it take for the phone store or whatever to repair my iPads charging port?

I used a local repair shop and they replaced the port on my grandson's ipad in an hour.  Bill was $45.  Money well spent to preclude losing your drone.
2023-2-19
Use props
Droningon12
lvl.1

United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-19 05:14
I used a local repair shop and they replaced the port on my grandson's ipad in an hour.  Bill was $45.  Money well spent to preclude losing your drone.

Alright sounds good
2023-2-19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

I'm sure you'll get it figured out.  In the meantime I hope you are having a great weekend.
2023-2-19
Use props
Droningon12
lvl.1

United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-19 06:28
I'm sure you'll get it figured out.  In the meantime I hope you are having a great weekend.

Same for you
2023-2-19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Thanks.  I had a great weekend.
2023-2-20
Use props
Droningon12
lvl.1

United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-20 04:09
Thanks.  I had a great weekend.

Same! I got it yesterday and I took it out for a first flight and it absolutely BLEW me away! What an incredible little drone!
2023-2-20
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Droningon12 Posted at 2-20 05:25
Same! I got it yesterday and I took it out for a first flight and it absolutely BLEW me away! What an incredible little drone!

Congrats on receiving the Mini 2.  It is a great little drone.  No doubt you'll get many hours of fun flying out of it.  
2023-2-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules