How can I know where to fly
2161 11 2023-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RobSue
lvl.1
Flight distance : 212999 ft
Australia

I am a total newbie, who has recently purchased a DJI Mini 3 Pro with RC controller. I live in Western Australia.
I would like to know where I can fly before I unpack the unit. I tried the "Ok To Fly" app and it gives the info I need, but it does not appear to be aligned with the device. I live within 5.5 kms of an airport with a control tower, so most of the time the "Ok To Fly" app says I can't fly here, but last night it said I could with some restrictions because the control tower was closed, so I went out and tried to take off but the device wouldn't take off because I was in an unauthorised area.

Can anyone tell me where I can find out where I can fly my device, before I unpack and connect?

Thanks

Rob

2023-2-18
Use props
BodkinsBestPhotography
lvl.2

Canada

The remote itself should have a "flyspots" icon in the top right hand of the starting screen.  Click on it and it will tell you where the restricted (red = can't fly) zones are, and all the other (blue = request permission) zones.  
2023-2-18
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Rob. Thank you for reaching out. You may check the Geo Zone Map before going to the place to fly the drone. The DJI’s GEO System delineates where it is safe to fly, where flight may raise concerns, and where flight is restricted. Here's the link: (https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map). If you need to request to Unlock an Authorization Zone, you may check here the instructions (https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 83&extra=page=1). We hope this helps. Thank you for your support.
2023-2-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This site should help - https://remoteaviation.com.au/casa-drone-laws/
2023-2-19
Use props
RobSue
lvl.1
Australia

Thanks. 3 excellent references. Appreciate your guidance.
2023-2-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

RobSue Posted at 2-19 01:30
Thanks. 3 excellent references. Appreciate your guidance.

You're welcome. Have a safe flight always!
2023-2-19
Use props
Zoooom
lvl.4

Australia

https://opensky.wing.com/visitor ... 6.093972&zoom=9

Opensky shows you how bad your problem is. Looks like some kind of air force zone above Perth for 100km.

In Australia you can't fly much in any residential area, except upwards, after you verify nobody within 30m
State Forests are fair game. National Parks are out.
Rivers and water are usually good, unless there is a heliport around.
Technically, you aren't supposed to fly over private property, without their permission. But with huge paddocks, nobody will notice.

I noticed that flying upwards is the great loophole in Australia. Pick a spot that is vaguely public, like a large carpark, park, church, road verge. Verify nobody within 30m, go up, spin around and zoom. This gets you pretty good sharp urban shots. In UK, you are allowed to fly sub-250 drones over houses, but not in London, apparently.

2023-2-19
Use props
FreshFlyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I am getting that with the restricted area a mile away. I do not get it with my Mavic 2 Zoom though. My Mini 3 Pro drone just hovers but I found pressing the  close buttons over-rides the restriction.
2023-2-19
Use props
RobSue
lvl.1
Australia

I just tried applying to Unlock an Authorization Zone and that allowed me to fly. I just want to go to a nearby park and fly at low level to get practice. Using this approach allowed me to do that yesterday. I don't know what the ramifications are. Maybe I should expect a visit today
2023-2-19
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Absolutely do not rely on DJI Geo to see where is and isnt legal.
In pretty much all countries its highly inaccurate and says its OK in many places that are actually restricted.
2023-2-20
Use props
RobSue
lvl.1
Australia

If DJI Geo is "highly inaccurate", then is there one that is accurate? Although I plan to use the drone in Australia to learn, I hope to go overseas in the future and would like to be able to take and use it safely
2023-2-20
Use props
Element115
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5693497 ft
United States

I just need 2 apps to know where to fly and also get LAANC approval in the USA (not sure about Australia).  B4UFLY and Aloft Air Control.
2023-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules