Does RC screen stutter with focus peaking active?
1397 28 2023-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
trainee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124469 ft
United Kingdom

Anyone else noticed that turning focus peaking on when filming causes the RC screen to stutter badly? When I examine my screen recordings, the ones with focus peaking on have been recorded at 8fps while the normal rate is 28fps. Even mid-flight, everything goes smooth again if I turn focus peaking off. Put another way, does anyone get smooth screen recordings with peaking on?

My issue isn't linked to range/distance since the slowdown happens as soon as I take off. Maybe that's the price I have to pay for filming with focus peaking on but it seems too disruptive to be normal.
2023-2-19
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. Would you please send the screen recordings as well? We would like to confirm the issue further.
2023-2-19
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 2-19 02:37
Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. Would you please send the screen recordings as well? We would like to confirm the issue further.

Hi, do you want the actual files or will these do? The first video shows the impact of turning peaking on at 4m10secs in.:

Model: MT3M3VD
FW v.01.00.0450
RC FW v.1.02.0400
Fly app v.1.9.4
FlySafe Data 01.00..01.27 and  01.00..01.28
Purchased 28/11/2022 from Dronesafe (UK)
2023-2-19
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

trainee Posted at 2-19 02:58
Hi, do you want the actual files or will these do? The first video shows the impact of turning peaking on at 4m10secs in.:
Peaking turned on at 4m10s
Peaking on throughout

Thank you for your reply. May we confirm if the issue happens in the camera view and original video?
2023-2-19
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 2-19 20:15
Thank you for your reply. May we confirm if the issue happens in the camera view and original video?

No, my 4K recordings are mostly smooth and 29fps. But I do struggle with signal range as I can't get more than 1.5km in perfect conditions and terrain.
2023-2-20
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

trainee Posted at 2-20 00:12
No, my 4K recordings are mostly smooth and 29fps. But I do struggle with signal range as I can't get more than 1.5km in perfect conditions and terrain.

In the second video, we saw that before the weak signal was prompted, the screen recording also stuttered. May we know if this issue happened in the real-time image transmission?
About the transmission range, we would like to confirm that the maximum range you have got is 1.5 km even though you tested in many different suitable places.
2023-2-20
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 2-20 01:58
In the second video, we saw that before the weak signal was prompted, the screen recording also stuttered. May we know if this issue happened in the real-time image transmission?
About the transmission range, we would like to confirm that the maximum range you have got is 1.5 km even though you tested in many different suitable places.

I can only tell you that the 4k footage is smooth. The real-time screen display is jumpy when the signal breaks up or whenever focus peaking is active.

The only times I see a video glitch for other reasons is when I tap the screen in AF mode which causes both the live screen view and the 4k footage to quickly pulse in and out.

Also, on a couple of occasions when signal was strong and I was flying normally, I have experienced a sudden unexplained loss of the Go Fly app as I was dumped into my home screen and invited to connect again to Go Fly - which duly reconnected.
As for range, I am more or less housebound so I don't have lots of different terrains to test on. The top video above shows my best flat/empty route and that's where I can get a maximum of 1.5km range at 300ft altitude in ideal flying conditions. My other routes either involve trees or houses or both (as well as my own high hedges), albeit still in a rural setting and I typically get 400-1000 metres of range. Having tested different transmission bands, I have found 2.4GHz to give slightly better range than 5.8GHz or Auto.
2023-2-20
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

trainee Posted at 2-20 02:45
I can only tell you that the 4k footage is smooth. The real-time screen display is jumpy when the signal breaks up or whenever focus peaking is active.

The only times I see a video glitch for other reasons is when I tap the screen in AF mode which causes both the live screen view and the 4k footage to quickly pulse in and out.

Sorry for the late reply. We got the answer from our engineers.
The processing capability is limited. If you turn on multiple functions at the same time, the said issue will appear.
2023-2-23
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 2-23 02:27
Sorry for the late reply. We got the answer from our engineers.
The processing capability is limited. If you turn on multiple functions at the same time, the said issue will appear.

Thank you for getting back to me. I'm not sure what counts as a function? What functions do I need to turn off in order to get a smooth RC display with peaking turned on? If I turn off screen recording would that fix it?

And is this a global issue or will some owners not see this issue?

As it happens, I have less need for focus peaking now since the last FW updates improved my focus issues.
2023-2-23
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

trainee Posted at 2-23 02:41
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm not sure what counts as a function? What functions do I need to turn off in order to get a smooth RC display with peaking turned on? If I turn off screen recording would that fix it?

And is this a global issue or will some owners not see this issue?

In your case, you enable Focus Peaking, recording, and screen-recording, three functions in total at the same time.
It will make the DJI RC overload so that it can not process it smoothly.
As we said, DJI RC has limited processing capacity compared to DJI RC Pro.
The DJI RC Pro processor has a robust performance and a large storage capacity and supports the installation of third-party apps. The DJI RC, however, does not.
Therefore, it is not a global issue from my perspective.
2023-2-23
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 2-23 03:39
In your case, you enable Focus Peaking, recording, and screen-recording, three functions in total at the same time.

I appreciate your full answer, even if it doesn't make me happy. Perhaps there should be a note about this in the user manual - or am I the only person to report it?

For my peace of mind, is there any scenario whereby the RC processing capacity could limit the range of the Mini 3 Pro if these three functions are turned on?
2023-2-23
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

trainee Posted at 2-23 03:57
I appreciate your full answer, even if it doesn't make me happy. Perhaps there should be a note about this in the user manual - or am I the only person to report it?

For my peace of mind, is there any scenario whereby the RC processing capacity could limit the range of the Mini 3 Pro if these three functions are turned on?

Thank you for your understanding.
The transmission range is a separate issue. We would like to double confirm, does the transmission range change if you turn the focus peaking on?
2023-2-23
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 2-23 04:09
Thank you for your understanding.
The transmission range is a separate issue. We would like to double confirm, does the transmission range change if you turn the focus peaking on?

I will have to do some more test flights to come up with an answer. I do think my maximum range of 1.5km over open, empty, flat countryside in windless conditions is less than it should be but I wasn't counting how many RC functions I had turned on. And I wouldn't have counted video recording as an optional function anyway.

The signal also seems to break up too easily when I'm flying over woodland, even when I still have VLOS. That could be caused by a weakened RC signal or an inexperienced pilot and the latter is most likely at the moment.
2023-2-23
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

trainee Posted at 2-23 04:34
I will have to do some more test flights to come up with an answer. I do think my maximum range of 1.5km over open, empty, flat countryside in windless conditions is less than it should be but I wasn't counting how many RC functions I had turned on. And I wouldn't have counted video recording as an optional function anyway.

The signal also seems to break up too easily when I'm flying over woodland, even when I still have VLOS. That could be caused by a weakened RC signal or an inexperienced pilot and the latter is most likely at the moment.

Thanks a lot. Please keep us updating.
2023-2-23
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 2-23 19:40
Thanks a lot. Please keep us updating.

I definitely flew further over my woodland today with peaking and screen recording turned off.

I had previously managed a maximum range of 1400ft but today, flying at 300ft in the 6mph prevailing wind, I got to 2000ft without any signal alerts - but then had to turn around as I did get a warning about the approaching local airfield zone - which I  obviously hadn't seen before.

I will continue to test.
2023-2-24
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 2-23 03:39

So I was out testing the latest firmware and RC app 1.9.9 this morning hoping (as you do) that this issue might have gone away but I discovered it is worse than I thought because I forgot to activate recording this time so was only doing a screen recording with focus peaking active and the screen display (and resulting screen recording) were as jittery as ever.

How can it be "overloading" the processor to run focus peaking with screen recording and nothing else? If focus peaking consumes all of the CPU power then maybe using it ought to come with a public health warning in the manual?
2023-4-1
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

trainee Posted at 4-1 07:05
So I was out testing the latest firmware and RC app 1.9.9 this morning hoping (as you do) that this issue might have gone away but I discovered it is worse than I thought because I forgot to activate recording this time so was only doing a screen recording with focus peaking active and the screen display (and resulting screen recording) were as jittery as ever.

How can it be "overloading" the processor to run focus peaking with screen recording and nothing else? If focus peaking consumes all of the CPU power then maybe using it ought to come with a public health warning in the manual?

The RC is a toy. It barely has enough computing power to control the drone. That's what DJI replied in post #11.
2023-4-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

trainee Posted at 2-23 04:34
I will have to do some more test flights to come up with an answer. I do think my maximum range of 1.5km over open, empty, flat countryside in windless conditions is less than it should be but I wasn't counting how many RC functions I had turned on. And I wouldn't have counted video recording as an optional function anyway.

I have done 5.5km in CE mode with screen recording on and its worse day i have managed 3.3 km, but no focus peaking or zebras enabled. I doubt that having other features enabled would reduce the range, but there is no telling, so I would have to test this. The weather here in the UK is showing an improvement, i.e. Tuesday very little wind with decent sun so i am hoping to get out there, the only issue i can see is the temp will be around 0ºC so i may have to go out a little later than I like which will mean RAF Lakenheath jets will have started, i will play it by ear and will get back to you...
2023-4-1
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 4-1 07:22
The RC is a toy. It barely has enough computing power to control the drone. That's what DJI replied in post #11.

……In which case branding it as "Pro" was misleading, surely.

And where is the warning in the manual that focus peaking can't be used without compromising screen recordings?

I get that compromises are needed to keep within size/weight/price targets but spell them out so that buyers know what they're getting.

2023-4-1
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

trainee Posted at 4-1 23:56

And where is the warning in the manual that focus peaking can't be used without compromising screen recordings?

The RC Pro can handle all that and more, it IS a Pro controller, the RC is a toy.
2023-4-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

trainee Posted at 4-1 23:56

The "Pro" in Mini 3 Pro only means that its a "Pro" in the Mini lineup, i.e. top dog, thats all nothing else.

Its a major misconception for a good handful of users, same goes for the Mavic Pro and Mavic 2 Pro, whilst they are capable drones as is the Mini 3 Pro, there is nothing in the sales pitch that says for Professional use, whereas the Mavic 3 on the other hand, that is a very capable drone and most certainly the Cine version of which can be used for professional use but neither say "Pro" in the name.

Also, the DJI RC does not fall under the "Pro" in the name Mini 3 Pro, the DJI RC is just that, it just so happens that it was bundled with the Mini 3 Pro.
2023-4-2
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 4-2 17:23
The "Pro" in Mini 3 Pro only means that its a "Pro" in the Mini lineup, i.e. top dog, thats all nothing else.

Its a major misconception for a good handful of users, same goes for the Mavic Pro and Mavic 2 Pro, whilst they are capable drones as is the Mini 3 Pro, there is nothing in the sales pitch that says for Professional use, whereas the Mavic 3 on the other hand, that is a very capable drone and most certainly the Cine version of which can be used for professional use but neither say "Pro" in the name.

What you are describing is the sausage, not the sizzle. Anyone who has bought the Mini 3 Pro or who is already a DJI aficionado will be familiar with the sausage. Everyone else, including DJI newbies like me, see only the sizzle and would not expect a "pro" branded product to be a toy. Nor is it priced as a toy.

DJI describe it as: "The mini-sized, mega-capable DJI Mini 3 Pro is just as powerful as it is portable." And nowhere do they say hey, we don't really mean pro…

None of which would matter if the blurb or the spec or the manual made it clear that the processor is so underpowered that it can't deliver smooth screen recordings if focus peaking is active.
2023-4-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

trainee Posted at 4-2 22:14
What you are describing is the sausage, not the sizzle. Anyone who has bought the Mini 3 Pro or who is already a DJI aficionado will be familiar with the sausage. Everyone else, including DJI newbies like me, see only the sizzle and would not expect a "pro" branded product to be a toy. Nor is it priced as a toy.

DJI describe it as: "The mini-sized, mega-capable DJI Mini 3 Pro is just as powerful as it is portable." And nowhere do they say hey, we don't really mean pro…

Im just calling it what it is, and as for the DJI RC, it is a very basic RC with screen.

I'm not sure if i will be able to get out tomorrow as one of my dogs has the squits today some I'm hoping the poop stopper works, but i will play in the garden shortly just to see if i have any issues using the peaking  etc so bear with...

Has anyone else reported the same issue?

PS, just tried it with peaking set to high, not sure how it works mind but i don't see any red things, tried it in 4k60 and normal photo, not seeing any red things at all, please excuse me as i have never used it in all my time with drones so i new to it, either way, i had no lagging at all, i had peaking enabled (not showing though), zebras enabled and screen recording, in photo and video 4k mode, have i missed sommat?
2023-4-2
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 4-2 23:57
Im just calling it what it is, and as for the DJI RC, it is a very basic RC with screen.

I'm not sure if i will be able to get out tomorrow as one of my dogs has the squits today some I'm hoping the poop stopper works, but i will play in the garden shortly just to see if i have any issues using the peaking  etc so bear with...

The focus peaking shows up under manual focus. Try it that way
2023-4-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 4-3 08:05
The focus peaking shows up under manual focus. Try it that way

Ah, thank you, that makes sense lol,  I have never used manual focus either, always tapped the screen during auto focus if ever needed. I will try again this morning

EDIT: I had planned to do my CE max range run with the plus battery today as its the 1st morning with dead calm winds and no rain but alas that is not to be, its minus blooming 3C, so i will have to test this peaking in the garden again and report back once the neighbours are up etc...
2023-4-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ok, here we go, for me, there is an ever-so-slight stutter with peaking enabled compared to disabled, i certainly would not class this as "badly", badly is when you overshoot because it stuttered (like yours), i have had that before with either the Mini 2 or the P4P and it was rectified, cant remember what the issue was now. But this peaking stutter (for me) is far from that, I will never use it again mind, i don't think so anyway, so its not going to be an issue for me but even if i did, it still wouldnt be as its nowhere near as bad as yours and certainly useable, the only think i can think of is the memory card, I am using a Toshiba EXCERIA 128gb U3, what do you have? I do have 2 other makes/models of card i can try if needed?

PS, i couldn't figure out how to manual focus  so i gave up pretty quickly try to do that, proves i never use manual lol

Just playing mine back, at 2:12 ish, i noticed it a bit worse, prob close to yours, but its not like that all the way through...

2023-4-3
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 4-3 23:40
Ok, here we go, for me, there is an ever-so-slight stutter with peaking enabled compared to disabled, i certainly would not class this as "badly", badly is when you overshoot because it stuttered (like yours), i have had that before with either the Mini 2 or the P4P and it was rectified, cant remember what the issue was now. But this peaking stutter (for me) is far from that, I will never use it again mind, i don't think so anyway, so its not going to be an issue for me but even if i did, it still wouldnt be as its nowhere near as bad as yours and certainly useable, the only think i can think of is the memory card, I am using a Toshiba EXCERIA 128gb U3, what do you have? I do have 2 other makes/models of card i can try if needed?

PS, i couldn't figure out how to manual focus  so i gave up pretty quickly try to do that, proves i never use manual lol

Thanks for checking it out. My stuttering is worse but I wouldn't classify yours as "slight". For whatever difference it makes, I typically have the compass active but no histogram or zebras. I'm using a new DJI recommended Sandisk 32GB card in the RC but since DJI have acknowledged the issue as being due to the limitations of the processor, I doubt that further card testing would be fruitful.

For the first couple of months of ownership I was using focus peaking a lot because autofocus wasn't working properly for me and the screen is too small to see the manual focus sweet spot unaided. I'm hoping that the latest firmware has improved my AF though so hoping not to need focus peaking so much - but I will still need it whenever I set focus manually.

The stuttering affects the screen recording as well as the screen display and I'm surprised the M3P shipped like this without any warning/caveat.
2023-4-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

trainee Posted at 4-4 00:20
Thanks for checking it out. My stuttering is worse but I wouldn't classify yours as "slight". For whatever difference it makes, I typically have the compass active but no histogram or zebras. I'm using a new DJI recommended Sandisk 32GB card in the RC but since DJI have acknowledged the issue as being due to the limitations of the processor, I doubt that further card testing would be fruitful.

For the first couple of months of ownership I was using focus peaking a lot because autofocus wasn't working properly for me and the screen is too small to see the manual focus sweet spot unaided. I'm hoping that the latest firmware has improved my AF though so hoping not to need focus peaking so much - but I will still need it whenever I set focus manually.

No caveat would have been mentioned at all, crikey this drone was plagued with issues when it was released and not one word was mentioned about it at the time,, thats just the way it is, I don't think i have any issues with auto focus, it seems to work well enough...

Hopefully, DJI can improve on it for you...

Without me getting the manual out, how do you manually focus?

2023-4-4
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 4-4 03:23
No caveat would have been mentioned at all, crikey this drone was plagued with issues when it was released and not one word was mentioned about it at the time,, thats just the way it is, I don't think i have any issues with auto focus, it seems to work well enough...

Hopefully, DJI can improve on it for you...

Tap and hold the AF button until the focus slider appears next to it, then slide up and down until everything comes into focus (with the assistance of focus peaking). For me, infinity focus is one notch below the top of the scale. I hate the slider though and wish I could convert the zoom wheel to a focus wheel.

I'm not buying your argument that all manner of things are broken or sub-par out of the box. I might if they fixed it all promptly - as they do with a lot of bugs - but there doesn't seem to be any hope of a fix for focus peaking.
2023-4-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules