DJI Air 2S swirling crash itself while Quickshot (asteroid)
12Next >
1269 48 2023-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_Jlg13BdvcqvV
lvl.2
Flight distance : 251040 ft
Greece

Good evening all!

Yesterday, while I was flying my Air 2S and it had a weird crash itelf. I was flying with my second (fully charged) battery about 13 minutes. Then, at 40% of battery, I decided to do some Quickshots. I did one rocket quickshot and all were just fine. Then I decided to do an asteroid quickshot. The drone started going back and at the point that it should go up faster, it suddenly did some kind of swirling itself and crashed down. I wasn't doing nothing at all and I couldn't control it! I was just watching it fall. It was on automatic mode cause it did quickshot. I wasn't terrified cause I know it was not my fault at all. Then, I found it, it was stuck between a wall and a metal gate of a house, but the motors didn't stop even it was get stuck, they were making so noise and they were too hot. Shouldn't the motors be stopped for safety reasons after the crash??? Well, I then looked up for the flight logs. I uploaded the log to PhantomHelp.com and I can't understand why the crash isn't be shown there!? Also as you will see, the final moves of the log show that the drone started the asteroid quickshot, and all of a sudden it shows that it changed to tripod mode while it was on the same altitude. The problem is that I changed to tripod mode only when it got crashed. Not while doing quickshot. I never cancelled the quickshot. I have talked with expert pilots and mechanics and they told me the same I suppose as a fault. One of drone's motor may got stucked that's why it did swirling. I had changed the propellers with new ones five or six flights ago before this flight. All propellers were placed as they should. Drone was 20 meters away from me, with no air, no birds or something hit it cause I had clear view of it. The problem is that the txt. log file, it doesn't show the crash! Will Dji find more flight log info about it? I mean, it can't be only the txt. log file we all can see on sites like PhantomHelp.com, right?

Also to notice, I make every flight check before flying the drone. But as I told, i was flying about 12-13 minutes before the crash and I did about 3 kilometers of flight with no problem. And I have checked the video from the sd card. It has recorded only about 4 seconds of the asteroid and then it's the point that it started swirling but it hasn't recorded this. I didn't cancelled the asteroid cause in the video you can see that I don't look my smartphone or moving my finger on the remote controller.

Video: https://www.veed.io/view/52567ccd-309a-4213-b632-36ea2541ef91?sharingWidget=true&panel=share

Flight log: https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/8REARIFGP11LP807BXOZ/

PS: In the flight log, you will see differences between the IMU and VPS altitude. That's because I took it off on the side of an mountain edge.

Please tell me how to proceed and tell me what do you think about the missing crash log time. I have the 1 year Dji Care Refresh but the fault is not mine. Thanks in advance!

2023-2-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Why are you going so high?

2023-2-19
Use props
lvl.2
Greece

Just to take some panoramic aerial video of the village and the mountains behind the village, but I can't see that to be related to what I post.
2023-2-19
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

The "fault" is not yours?  The responsibility always is though.  ; )
2023-2-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

@ActiveDroneTrack Posted at 2-19 12:20
Just to take some panoramic aerial video of the village and the mountains behind the village, but I can't see that to be related to what I post.

I too doubt it's related to the crash but it was probably illegal and unsafe heights, probably WELL into manned aircraft airspace.
If you want panoramas fly UP Mt. Parnassos and shoot from there or take pans from 120m above the highest point in the village or surrounding high points.
2023-2-19
Use props
lvl.2
Greece

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-19 13:10
I too doubt it's related to the crash but it was probably illegal and unsafe heights, probably WELL into manned aircraft airspace.
If you want panoramas fly UP Mt. Parnassos and shoot from there or take pans from 120m above the highest point in the village or surrounding high points.

Guys i want help on how to proceed. Not directions about the law. If you want to give me directions about law please just don't reply at all. If you want to talk about laws, an aircraft isn't allowed to come through so low on a village even at 200 meters altitude when an airport isn't close enough. There is no point. Words from a pilot to me. But please don't reply for laws. I need just help and advices on how to proceed
2023-2-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you only have 4 seconds of video from this flight then you lost a lot of video, the pink shows where you were shooting video.
How much log record do you think is missing?
2023-2-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

We can't tell anything about the crash because there is no crash in the data you've posted.
It ends with the drone hovering approx 24 metres higher than the launch point and 22 metres from where it recorded a home point (which was an unknown distance from where you launched).
2023-2-19
Use props
lvl.2
Greece

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-19 13:31
If you only have 4 seconds of video from this flight then you lost a lot of video, the pink shows where you were shooting video.
[view_image]

Thank you for watching the log and the video. I think it's missing the 3-4 final seconds when the drone started do this thing and fall. Also, as i said, I didn't changed to tripod mode before crash. ONLY after crash. I can't understand how the log file says that it changed to tripod mode while doing quickshot and you can see on the video that i don't press anything on the remote controller. How can this be possible?? And how it can be possible to be first on Normal mode on previous time before the quickshot and then it changes to tripod mode at the time that the video stops recording and my hands aren't doing nothing on the remote.
2023-2-19
Use props
lvl.2
Greece

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-19 13:31
[view_image]

I have only 4 seconds from the last quickshot. Not from the full flight. I have all the videos from the flight.
2023-2-19
Use props
lvl.2
Greece

Labroides Posted at 2-19 13:32
We can't tell anything about the crash because there is no crash in the data you've posted.
It ends with the drone hovering approx 24 metres higher than the launch point and 22 metres from where it recorded a home point (which was an unknown distance from where you launched).

The homepoint was right, at 20 meters away from me as you can see on the video. So isn't an unknown altitude and distance.
2023-2-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

@ActiveDroneTrack Posted at 2-19 13:52
The homepoint was right, at 20 meters away from me as you can see on the video. So isn't an unknown altitude and distance.

My comments about the distance from launch point were just to be precise in what I wrote.
They have nothing to do with your mystery incident which is not included in the data you posted.

Where you launched from is not shown in the data because you flew away from the launch point at full speed for 10.4 seconds before the drone was able to record a homepoint.
I said nothing about the height of the homepoint, and I wouldn't have anyway since homepoints have no height ... just X and Y coordinates.
2023-2-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

it suddenly did some kind of swirling itself and crashed down.
This is the only information that gives any clue to the incident since the data doesn't show the incident.
If the drone spiralled down to the ground, that suggests a loss of thrust from one of the props/motors.
The drone would have lost a prop or a motor.
But we have no information to show what caused it.
2023-2-19
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

@ActiveDroneTrack Posted at 2-19 13:18
Guys i want help on how to proceed. Not directions about the law. If you want to give me directions about law please just don't reply at all. If you want to talk about laws, an aircraft isn't allowed to come through so low on a village even at 200 meters altitude when an airport isn't close enough. There is no point. Words from a pilot to me. But please don't reply for laws. I need just help and advices on how to proceed

Sometimes when you post an illegal flight, you get some advice you may not want, but clearly need.
2023-2-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We are deeply sorry to know about the incident that happened to your unit. In this case, we highly recommend you send the unit in for proper diagnostics. You may contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support . Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your kind and understanding.
2023-2-19
Use props
lvl.2
Greece

Labroides Posted at 2-19 14:43
it suddenly did some kind of swirling itself and crashed down.
This is the only information that gives any clue to the incident since the data doesn't show the incident.
If the drone spiralled down to the ground, that suggests a loss of thrust from one of the props/motors.

The propellers were all on the drone motors but smashed. A motor may got stuck or lost power, I don't know. I wish Dji can read more from the log files that we may can't see.
2023-2-19
Use props
lvl.2
Greece

TonyPHX Posted at 2-19 14:52
Sometimes when you post an illegal flight, you get some advice you may not want, but clearly need.

To be there and have a drone, it means I have the appropriate licence as I have. I know the laws. As I know that is illegal over 120m. But a forum's goal is to solve problems.
2023-2-19
Use props
lvl.2
Greece

DJI Paladin Posted at 2-19 18:12
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We are deeply sorry to know about the incident that happened to your unit. In this case, we highly recommend you send the unit in for proper diagnostics. You may contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support . Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your kind and understanding.

Thank you i will contact.
2023-2-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

@ActiveDroneTrack Posted at 2-19 22:51
The propellers were all on the drone motors but smashed. A motor may got stuck or lost power, I don't know. I wish Dji can read more from the log files that we may can't see.

They probably can, from the DAT on the drone but they might charge for doing so.
Problems come in more than one form.

2023-2-20
Use props
lvl.2
Greece

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-20 00:19
They probably  can, from the  DAT on the drone

Nice to hear it, thank you!
2023-2-20
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961437 ft
Italy

@ActiveDroneTrack Posted at 2-19 22:53
To be there and have a drone, it means I have the appropriate licence as I have. I know the laws. As I know that is illegal over 120m. But a forum's goal is to solve problems.

The main goal of the forum is to share advices and experiences. The technical issues can be addressed directly contacting the DJI Support. If you don't like the advices from the other users, you can just ignore them, without arguing. But please consider that many of the advices that come from these pages are really valuable.
2023-2-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

@ActiveDroneTrack Posted at 2-19 22:54
Thank you i will contact.

You are most welcome. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-2-20
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

@ActiveDroneTrack Posted at 2-19 22:53

You have a license.  You know the laws.  

You just posted on a public forum your flight log showing how you violated them?  I gotta say, this ranks up there with some of the more brilliant things I have seen.   Anyways, good for you for flaunting  your professional knowledge.  : )  

2023-2-20
Use props
lvl.2
Greece

TonyPHX Posted at 2-20 07:15
You have a license.  You know the laws.  

You just posted on a public forum your flight log showing how you violated them?  I gotta say, this ranks up there with some of the more brilliant things I have seen.   Anyways, good for you for flaunting  your professional knowledge.  : )

Ok Mr. Law. Thank you for the zero help.
2023-2-20
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

@ActiveDroneTrack Posted at 2-20 07:18
Ok Mr. Law. Thank you for the zero help.

lol, I am not Mr. Law.   But I would suggest that before somebody submits your log with vehicle ID number to the Hellenic Aviation Authority that you remove it, along with your video showing you operating the drone.  Boneheaded is perhaps just an American legal term.  
2023-2-20
Use props
lvl.2
Greece

TonyPHX Posted at 2-20 07:44
lol, I am not Mr. Law.   But I would suggest that before somebody submits your log with vehicle ID number to the Hellenic Aviation Authority that you remove it, along with your video showing you operating the drone.  Boneheaded is perhaps just an American legal term.

Just tell me: If place A is at 0m height and place B is 200m height and between A and B there are 2km of distance. If I go to take off the drone to place B and send it 2km away from that place, then I am at 400m altitude on place A but I am not violating the laws. Can you tell me what's the difference of flying at 200m at place A? Can you understand what I told you before in the forum? An aircraft ISN'T allowed to come so low even at 300m from that specific village because there are mountains around it. I know very good WHERE and WHEN to go higher than 120m. That's what I'm saying. This rule of 120m as a pilot told me, it's more about flying near airports. And because I live near airport, i have never flew my drone here even with dronehacks that some people can easily do. I'm not that "bonehead" as you said. I understand the rules.
2023-2-20
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

@ActiveDroneTrack Posted at 2-20 09:01
Just tell me: If place A is at 0m height and place B is 200m height and between A and B there are 2km of distance. If I go to take off the drone to place B and send it 2km away from that place, then I am at 400m altitude on place A but I am not violating the laws. Can you tell me what's the difference of flying at 200m at place A? Can you understand what I told you before in the forum? An aircraft ISN'T allowed to come so low even at 300m from that specific village because there are mountains around it. I know very good WHERE and WHEN to go higher than 120m. That's what I'm saying. This rule of 120m as a pilot told me, it's more about flying near airports. And because I live near airport, i have never flew my drone here even with dronehacks that some people can easily do. I'm not that "bonehead" as you said. I understand the rules.

Your interpretation of laws is really amazing … I suppose that, in addition to locations where you can fliy higher than 120m, you also know the crossroads you can pass with red lights and the highways you can drive at 300 km/h
Manned aircrafts includes also helicopters that can be involved  in emergency services. You cannot exclude the presence of one of them just because you’re away from an airport, or because there are mountains all around.
2023-2-20
Use props
lvl.2
Greece

FabioV Posted at 2-20 13:19
Your interpretation of laws is really amazing … I suppose that, in addition to locations where you can fliy higher than 120m, you also know the crossroads you can pass with red lights and the highways you can drive at 300 km/h
Manned aircrafts includes also helicopters that can be involved  in emergency services. You cannot exclude the presence of one of them just because you’re away from an airport, or because there are mountains all around.

I agree that helicopters with an emergency can come so low. But as you say it's an emergency. In an emergency a helicopter can come down to 120m on every land you may fly free. So if we think that, we can't fly either at 120m. You talk about emergency. An emergency is something rare and especially at that village i flew. Find me one time where an helicopter had to go there at the specific village as an emergency and you will be alright. And that's why the air 2s has also the ADS-B system.
2023-2-20
Use props
lvl.2
Greece

FabioV Posted at 2-20 13:19

Also you didn't answer to my question: is it safe to take off from point B where the altitude is 200m higher than point A and go to point A which is 2km away from B, which that means that the drone will be at 400m altitude??? Really? It is not violating the law but is more dangerous than simply take off from point A and reach 200m. Is it more dangerous or not? Simply answer my question.
2023-2-20
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

never mind.  hope you get your drone fixed.  
2023-2-20
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

@ActiveDroneTrack Posted at 2-20 13:51
Also you didn't answer to my question: is it safe to take off from point B where the altitude is 200m higher than point A and go to point A which is 2km away from B, which that means that the drone will be at 400m altitude??? Really? It is not violating the law but is more dangerous than simply take off from point A and reach 200m. Is it more dangerous or not? Simply answer my question.

In order to answer your question: first of all, flying a Air 2s  2 km away from tne home point is not legal, because you’re no more at VLOS (but I guess  your interpretation of the law maybe different, because of your visual acuity). And second point , the EU regulation tells that the drone must stay allways at no more than 120m from the nearest point of the surface, not from the altitude of the home point. If your drone moves from point B to point A, you should reduce the altitude to keep your flight legal.
2023-2-20
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

@ActiveDroneTrack Posted at 2-20 13:51

In order to answer your question: first of all, flying a Air 2s  2 km away from tne home point is not legal, because you’re no more at VLOS (but I guess  your interpretation of the law maybe different, because of your visual acuity). And second point , the EU regulation tells that the drone must stay allways at no more than 120m from the nearest point of the surface, not from the altitude of the home point. If your drone moves from point B to point A, you should reduce the altitude to keep your flight legal.
2023-2-20
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

@ActiveDroneTrack Posted at 2-20 09:01
Just tell me: If place A is at 0m height and place B is 200m height and between A and B there are 2km of distance. If I go to take off the drone to place B and send it 2km away from that place, then I am at 400m altitude on place A but I am not violating the laws. Can you tell me what's the difference of flying at 200m at place A? Can you understand what I told you before in the forum? An aircraft ISN'T allowed to come so low even at 300m from that specific village because there are mountains around it. I know very good WHERE and WHEN to go higher than 120m. That's what I'm saying. This rule of 120m as a pilot told me, it's more about flying near airports. And because I live near airport, i have never flew my drone here even with dronehacks that some people can easily do. I'm not that "bonehead" as you said. I understand the rules.

Can't understand what you are talking about but maybe these will help

2023-2-20
Use props
lvl.2
Greece

FabioV Posted at 2-20 14:55

If you have never flew your drone out of VLOS and you have never passed the 120 m altitude then you are the God. And please don't tell us that even you have never done them. Don't judge if you also have do the same. That's all. I don't recommend anyone to pass the law limits, but there is no one of the drone owners that have never do these "violations".
2023-2-20
Use props
lvl.2
Greece

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-20 16:46
Can't understand what you are talking about but maybe these will help
[view_image]
[view_image]

The thing is: Can an aircraft come to Point A where limit is 120m but it can't come over the mountain top where I can go up to 120m altitude but i can move it at a distance of 500m-1km from the point it will take off which means that in point A i will be at least 240m altitude which is not violating the laws but still as you say an aircraft can pass through. Are you serious? A manned aircraft CAN'T come so low at these specific situation unless it's something emergency like someone told. But even at emergency, as the A1/A3 licence says if an emergency manned aircraft come so low you should land the drone. Every emergency manned aircraft could come lower than 120m. If I have the free to fly on a place, that means the emergency aircraft could come low to where my drone is. Is illegal that I'm flying? Don't be SO SO with the laws. You have to use also your logic and experience and combine with the laws.
2023-2-20
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

@ActiveDroneTrack Posted at 2-20 23:18
If you have never flew your drone out of VLOS and you have never passed the 120 m altitude then you are the God. And please don't tell us that even you have never done them. Don't judge if you also have do the same. That's all. I don't recommend anyone to pass the law limits, but there is no one of the drone owners that have never do these "violations".

Maybe (or maybe not...)  I brought my drone higher than 120m; and maybe I drove my car exceeding speed limits or ignoring red lights. But if I did it, I would not try to justify myself telling that I did it with a very limited risk. I would be fully aware that both behaviours are illegal and would be prepared to face all the consequences.

And would not be so dumb to post the evidence in a public forum. In my country some people has been fined because they posted an aerial video on YT, taken on a forbidden area (National Park).

2023-2-21
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

@ActiveDroneTrack Posted at 2-20 23:31
The thing is: Can an aircraft come to Point A where limit is 120m but it can't come over the mountain top where I can go up to 120m altitude but i can move it at a distance of 500m-1km from the point it will take off which means that in point A i will be at least 240m altitude which is not violating the laws but still as you say an aircraft can pass through. Are you serious? A manned aircraft CAN'T come so low at these specific situation unless it's something emergency like someone told. But even at emergency, as the A1/A3 licence says if an emergency manned aircraft come so low you should land the drone. Every emergency manned aircraft could come lower than 120m. If I have the free to fly on a place, that means the emergency aircraft could come low to where my drone is. Is illegal that I'm flying? Don't be SO SO with the laws. You have to use also your logic and experience and combine with the laws.

Probably a judge would disagree about your last sentence. I wish you won't never have this kind of discussion with a judge or with a cop.
2023-2-21
Use props
lvl.2
Greece

FabioV Posted at 2-21 00:16
Maybe (or maybe not...)  I brought my drone higher than 120m; and maybe I drove my car exceeding speed limits or ignoring red lights. But I'm not trying to justify myself telling that I did it with a very limited risk. I'm fully aware that both behaviours are illegal and I'm be prepared to face all the consequences.

And I'm not so dumb to post the evidence in a public forum. In my country some people has been fined because they posted an aerial video on YT, taken on a forbidden area (National Park).

Can't you see that you have created the problem? I post this on the forum to get help about the crash and not about the laws. And you are only talk about the laws. Then, the problem is yours! You just keep talking about it.
2023-2-21
Use props
lvl.2
Greece

FabioV Posted at 2-21 00:26
Probably a judge would disagree about your last sentence. I wish you won't never have this kind of discussion with a judge or with a cop.

Thank you. But I'm not aggressive to people that have violate the laws with the drone. As you say everyone is responsible for his actions. I would talk about someone's crash problem rather than talking to him about the laws.
2023-2-21
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

@ActiveDroneTrack Posted at 2-21 00:44
Thank you. But I'm not aggressive to people that have violate the laws with the drone. As you say everyone is responsible for his actions. I would talk about someone's crash problem rather than talking to him about the laws.

Probably it's not your case, but most of crashes reported to this forum was caused by an illegal or imprudent behaviour ...
If you post in a public forum the evidence of an illegal activity, you cannot complain when people are highlighting this. If you don't like the comments, you can simply ignore.
2023-2-21
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules