5511 32 2023-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Edwin T
lvl.4
Flight distance : 567375 ft
Malaysia

Hi guys,

Question about the battery swollen, I've flown for almost 2 years now it dosen't has this issues came out.
Just this year that the battery start swollen rapidly during storing, as the battery charge for each battery are mantain between 50% (About 2 - 3 blinking lights) as usual. All battery unplug from any device, just simply inside the DJI bag stored in 1 place.
When I want to fly it again, all the battery are swollen.
Till you can't put it in as usual slide in.
I was wondering is it normal for the battery to swollen after 23 cycles ?
or was it a defect battery ?
Should I get all 3 new batteries for it ?

Battery Cycle

Battery Cycle

All 3 swollen battery

All 3 swollen battery

Battery 2

Battery 2

Battery 1

Battery 1

Battery 3

Battery 3
2023-2-19
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Sorry to hear that. If the battery was swollen and can not use normally. We do not recommend you continue using it.
If your battery is out of warranty period, you can purchase new batteries for your daily use
2023-2-19
Use props
Edwin T
lvl.4
Malaysia

DJI Wanda Posted at 2-19 23:40
Hello, there. Sorry to hear that. If the battery was swollen and can not use normally. We do not recommend you continue using it.
If your battery is out of warranty period, you can purchase new batteries for your daily use

Yeah, about to purchase for new battery thanks
2023-2-20
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Edwin T Posted at 2-20 01:32
Yeah, about to purchase for new battery thanks

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything we can help you with.
2023-2-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That is worrying.
Just 26 charges.
2023-2-21
Use props
CorsairPilot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 307060 ft
United States

To put it in better words, if a lithium battery is swollen, it is damaged, and if you charge or discharge it, it may explode.
2023-3-8
Use props
Snoopy70
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4762470 ft
Canada

I’m curious about this too. I’ve had my drone for 2 years 3 months now. ~95 cycles, and use my drone frequently enough. I live in Canada, and see you’re from Malaysia, so I’m wondering if the heat and humidity might be what shortened your battery life. That and infrequent usage.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2023-3-8
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would drop all 3 into a bucket of water and leave for 24hrs or so, then bin them appropriately
2023-3-8
Use props
Edwin T
lvl.4
Malaysia

Montfrooij Posted at 2-21 00:08
That is worrying.
Just 26 charges.

Yup, I'll have to buy a new one for it.
2023-4-16
Use props
Edwin T
lvl.4
Malaysia

CorsairPilot Posted at 3-8 11:02
To put it in better words, if a lithium battery is swollen, it is damaged, and if you charge or discharge it, it may explode.

Yeah, that's why I'll stop using it, as it no longer fits inside the drone. I'll have to get some new batteries for it. Its quite odd too, it get swollen so fast in less than 30 cycles.
2023-4-16
Use props
Edwin T
lvl.4
Malaysia

Snoopy70 Posted at 3-8 15:01
I’m curious about this too. I’ve had my drone for 2 years 3 months now. ~95 cycles, and use my drone frequently enough. I live in Canada, and see you’re from Malaysia, so I’m wondering if the heat and humidity might be what shortened your battery life. That and infrequent usage.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm thinking the same thing as well , because my place are at Sabah state, which is very near Indonesia, so weather here are either super hot or uncontrollable raining days. I think that might affect the drone batteries for storing ?  
2023-4-16
Use props
Edwin T
lvl.4
Malaysia

Bashy Posted at 3-8 17:44
I would drop all 3 into a bucket of water and leave for 24hrs or so, then bin them appropriately

Does it explode ? I never tried it before, I've thinking about to poke a hole for it & squeeze it back to normal. But then I read a few articles which mention not allowed to do so, so I didn't.
2023-4-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Edwin T Posted at 4-16 05:54
Yup, I'll have to buy a new one for it.

Sounds like the best thing indeed.
2023-4-16
Use props
Edwin T
lvl.4
Malaysia

Montfrooij Posted at 4-16 06:25
Sounds like the best thing indeed.

Absolutely
2023-4-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hope you have gotten your replacement
2023-4-22
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5173104 ft
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2-19 23:40

What is the warranty on the batteries?  And are they the same for all batteries made by DJI?
2023-4-23
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

I'm sure I read somewhere that it is 6 months warrnty on Dji batteries. I could be wrong of course.
2023-4-23
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Shawgod Posted at 4-23 07:51
What is the warranty on the batteries?  And are they the same for all batteries made by DJI?

The general warranty period for batteries is 12 Months and less than 200 Charge Cycles.
You may refer to the Warranty Period of the Main Parts for more details:
https://www.dji.com/service/policy?from=store_homepage
2023-4-24
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks for the clarification Wanda.
2023-4-24
Use props
Edwin T
lvl.4
Malaysia

Montfrooij Posted at 4-22 23:56
Hope you have gotten your replacement

Yeah, I did, buying a new battery for it
2023-5-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Edwin T Posted at 5-6 04:36
Yeah, I did, buying a new battery for it

All good to go now!
2023-5-6
Use props
HerbA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1209682 ft
United States

CorsairPilot Posted at 3-8 11:02

Knew it was bad, didn't know it could explode. Talk about going down in a blaze of glory
2023-5-11
Use props
fans05b8a2cf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7316414 ft
Romania

Hello, I have the same problem with mine batteries. They swollen when hot and they deflate when cools. I have like 90 charging circles for them. They still fly 20 minutes of time. Will I have to take new batteries too?
2023-10-2
Use props
Snoopy70
Second Officer
Canada

I’m at +115 cycles, 2 years 10 months flying. My batteries are slightly swollen when cold, but swell to the point they are  a little tight getting out of the drone.  I’m thinking of buying another DJI Mini 2 battery because of the warranty. I’ll just cycle it through the other 3.
I’ve used my batteries to  <10% a few times, and I’m wondering if that may have precipitated this swelling.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2023-10-3
Use props
djiuser_xfxUKFeQhisn
New

United States

Had the same issue, called DJI to see if they would offer a discount (NO) bought aftermarket batt. and Drone Flew Away!
2023-10-3
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

How far do you discharge down to as a percentage per flight. If you fly down to 10% every flight it will reduced the numbers of charge cycles significantly..
And how long do you leave them in months before you charge them again?Oh forgot to add. You cant trust the lights on the battery. Particularly if its been left unused for a couple of months.
I have had batteries show 2 plus 1 blink when attached to a charger it goes to 1 blink.

2023-10-3
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Snoopy70 Posted at 10-3 03:41
I’m at +115 cycles, 2 years 10 months flying. My batteries are slightly swollen when cold, but swell to the point they are  a little tight getting out of the drone.  I’m thinking of buying another DJI Mini 2 battery because of the warranty. I’ll just cycle it through the other 3.
I’ve used my batteries to

Discharging down to lower than 10 percent will damage the cells in the battery.
2023-10-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fans05b8a2cf Posted at 10-2 21:37
Hello, I have the same problem with mine batteries. They swollen when hot and they deflate when cools. I have like 90 charging circles for them. They still fly 20 minutes of time. Will I have to take new batteries too?

Hello there. Thank you for reaching out. If the battery returns to normal after it has been kept still and cooled down for a long period of time, the battery is deemed to be normal and can be used continuously. Have a great day.
2023-10-4
Use props
WKKL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 681283 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Just had my 3 Min 2 Batteries Bloated - not sure why maybe its really the heat and humidity here in Singapore.
It still works ok I get about 25 plus min of flight time and charge cycle is less than 30.
All 3 have different level of bloat some very some only a bit I can feel from how tight it is to get
it in and out of the charging hub.

Anyway just ranting - looks like its a sign for me to upgrade to the Mind 4 pro..
I still love my mini 2....
2023-10-5
Use props
Snoopy70
Second Officer
Canada

WKKL Posted at 10-5 19:54
Just had my 3 Min 2 Batteries Bloated - not sure why maybe its really the heat and humidity here in Singapore.
It still works ok I get about 25 plus min of flight time and charge cycle is less than 30.
All 3 have different level of bloat some very some only a bit I can feel from how tight it is to get

The general warranty period for batteries is 12 Months and less than 200 Charge Cycles.

You should look into this first. There must be some way to safely store your batteries in your country to avoid this.
The Mini 4 will most likely have the same problem?
2023-10-6
Use props
WKKL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 681283 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Snoopy70 Posted at 10-6 04:01

Yah My Mini 2 is over 3 years old now.. so No more warranty.

I hope when I get the Mini 4 I wont have this problem...

So far - my M3 and Spark both dont have the same problem and they are all stored the same way / place..
2023-10-9
Use props
djiuser_aPGEIKfRNxjF
New

United Kingdom

WKKL Posted at 10-9 01:04
Yah My Mini 2 is over 3 years old now.. so No more warranty.

I hope when I get the Mini 4 I wont have this problem...

We make YouTube videos. We have two channels and 5 drones. All the DJI's have the same issue. DJI know about these issues and are doing nothing for their customers.  We are about to buy another drone will it be a DJI???? Guess??? Visit us on YouTube  Your Drone TV. SV Impavidus.
2023-10-30
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_aPGEIKfRNxjF Posted at 10-30 05:55
We make YouTube videos. We have two channels and 5 drones. All the DJI's have the same issue. DJI know about these issues and are doing nothing for their customers.  We are about to buy another drone will it be a DJI???? Guess??? Visit us on YouTube  Your Drone TV. SV Impavidus.

Hi there. Batteries work via an electrochemical process and anything that may alter this process such as over-discharging, crashes, water damage, etc. can result in a swollen battery. To avoid swollen batteries, please use and maintain your battery following the instructions that came with your product.
2023-11-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules