Rocksteady not work well with slow shutter and ND filter
2943 14 2023-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DaveInMoto
lvl.2
Italy

Hello all

as the title says, i really like the action 3 but i really dont like that with ND filters and slow shutter speed the Rocksteady simply dont work.

I've made a video for my small youtube channel (motorbike stuff, camera mounted on the chin of my helmet) and recorded it in 25 fps (im in italy so pal region and no need to do slowmotion) setting the camera in manual 1/50 shutter speed and iso from 100 to 3200 (it was daylight).

i was using an ND 8 filter and had the correct exposure but the stabilization does not work with that shutter speed. it jitters and it's very noticeable.

i know that the Rocksteady is intended to work with high shutter speeds so the camera can elaborate the stabilization but i wanted to follow the 180 degree rule.

Can you all think dji could do better with rocksteady in the future update, maybe the RS handle better with slow shutter speed??

i think that for now and future videos i'm not using the ND filters at all and set the auto shutter or decrease the ev comp at -.3 or -.7 to handle the overexpose tendecy of the camera.

Have you ever had this problem and what solution have found (if there is any).

Thank you!

2023-2-21
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

Here's a guy testing the ND filters on a bike and he has pretty much the same conclusion.

2023-2-21
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

turn RS off would that help? and use a 2 Axis gimbal.
2023-2-21
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

ND filters worked great with the old Osmo Action, but I quit using it and just use Auto because viewers doesn't care or notice.
2023-2-21
Use props
DaveInMoto
lvl.2
Italy

johansenfoto Posted at 2-21 12:33
ND filters worked great with the old Osmo Action, but I quit using it and just use Auto because viewers doesn't care or notice.

i think this is the answer i needed to hear, i will try the old way to mount up hit record and forget. xD
2023-2-21
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

DaveInMoto Posted at 2-21 14:09
i think this is the answer i needed to hear, i will try the old way to mount up hit record and forget. xD

And as you probably know, I also making driving videos (with atv) so we are like in same boat
2023-2-21
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi, DaveInMoto
electronic image stabilization does not work with low shutter speed.

the jitters is caused by the shutter blur on each frame of the footage.
EIS does smooth the frames, but unable to elimination shuttle blur on the footage.

On the other hand, mechanical gimbals stabilizes camera so that the blur caused by camera moving will not influence the footage.
The 180 degree shutter rule on cinema works because their cameras are on gimbal, tracks or carefully handheld.

so how to solve? The dilemma is:
We want the shutter blur of the shooting object but not accept any of the noticeable  blur caused by camera's moving.

we would suggest the shutter to be less that 1/200sec, in order to avoid the jitters caused by shutter blur. Of course 1/500s is desirable.
You might pick a shutter speed between 1/200, 1/500 to meet the best choice of the dilemma based on your shooting senoria.

Or make all the video to 50fps or 60fps to increase the smoothness to the viewers, instead of using 180 degree shutter.
2023-2-22
Use props
DaveInMoto
lvl.2
Italy

DJI-ytao Posted at 2-22 01:01
Hi, DaveInMoto
electronic image stabilization does not work with low shutter speed.

thanks. i will do test with 50 fps 1/200 shutter and see how it's works. i think nd filter is needed to reach the correct exposure maybe an ND8 or ND 16 in bright daylight.
2023-2-22
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

DaveInMoto Posted at 2-22 10:56
thanks. i will do test with 50 fps 1/200 shutter and see how it's works. i think nd filter is needed to reach the correct exposure maybe an ND8 or ND 16 in bright daylight.

Just put in -1 EV
2023-2-22
Use props
jbb11
New

United States

johan are u there? i have a question...
2023-6-7
Use props
jbb11
New

United States

This is what I have set up as my C1 setting on my DJI Action 3:

C1 – 4K 4:3 60fps 1/60 AWB, Auto Exposure,  DeWarp, Regular Lens (SUNNY DAYS)...

now would this work with an ND filter? based on these settings? What if I choose to go manual? like...

C1 – 4K 4:3 60fps 1/120 White Balance 5600K (manual), ISO 100-200 DeWarp, Regular Lens (SUNNY DAYS)?

HELP!
2023-6-8
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jbb11 Posted at 6-8 00:01
This is what I have set up as my C1 setting on my DJI Action 3:

C1 – 4K 4:3 60fps 1/60 AWB, Auto Exposure,  DeWarp, Regular Lens (SUNNY DAYS)...

1/60th is still too slow for the stabilisation to work properly. (On all cameras, not just Action 3)

It works for still shots in order to cut down handshake but not for moving around.  It will introduce little flickering effects.

At 60fps, just set the camera to auto. You won’t see too much judder at that rate.

With action cams, I don't worry too much personally about motion blur. It compromises stabilisation. Stabilisation relies on having a sharp picture which you don't get with slower shutter speeds and fast motion.
If I want motion blur, I use a gimbal.

2023-6-8
Use props
thabo12
New

United Kingdom

Yeah, stabilisation needs 1/200 or faster shutter speed.

You can try using the gyro options to shoot using the 180 angle rule & then stabilising in post using gyroflow. I will give this go myself soon & post results on youtube. I primary do running, so I suffered from jitters shooting at 180 rule. Actually almost returned it until I did some research
2023-10-2
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

thabo12 Posted at 10-2 08:59

You can try using the gyro options to shoot using the 180 angle rule & then stabilising in post using gyroflow. I will give this go myself soon & post results on youtube. I primary do running, so I suffered from jitters shooting at 180 rule. Actually almost returned it until I did some research

OA3 doesn't record gyro data, OA4 and A2 does.
2023-10-2
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

thabo12 Posted at 10-2 08:59

You can try using the gyro options to shoot using the 180 angle rule & then stabilising in post using gyroflow. I will give this go myself soon & post results on youtube. I primary do running, so I suffered from jitters shooting at 180 rule. Actually almost returned it until I did some research

Safest is to use 50 or 60fps and leave shutter on auto to compensate for any  rapid light changes while running.

At high frame rates, the shutter looks less juddery, less ‘cinematic’ for want of a better word, but you can’t easily mix motion blur with digital stabilisation. One or the other has to be compromised and I’d rather have stable footage myself.
2023-10-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules