External monitor connectivity DjI Rs3 Mini gimbal
1516 16 2023-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ski542002
lvl.1
United States

I shoot a Sony A7III with my attached DjI Rs3 Mini gimbal. Have an issue with ANY hdmi external monitor from various manufacturers. The monitors are NOT the problem.

When the Sony A7III and the DjI Rs3 gimbal are connected via bluetooth to enable basic features, ANY external monitor functions perfectly. IF I’m connected via USB-C from the Rs3 Gimbal to my A7III (which unlocks extended gimbal features), ANY monitor will NOT show an image, the screen is dark, almost black.  I’ve tried different USB-C cables, all the way up to thunderbolt-4 spec cables.

I much prefer the USB-C connection, because it unlocks additional gimbal controls of camera movements. My only other option is to NOT use an external monitor with my gimbal, which is very challenging.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

2023-2-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, please note that when using HDMI (such as connecting to a monitor), the HDMI cannot transmit normally during recording due to limitations of the camera control protocol. You can refer to: https://www.dji.com/support/compatibility/rs-3-mini/a7m3
2023-2-21
Use props
ski542002
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2-21 23:01
Hi there, please note that when using HDMI (such as connecting to a monitor), the HDMI cannot transmit normally during recording due to limitations of the camera control protocol. You can refer to: https://www.dji.com/support/compatibility/rs-3-mini/a7m3
[view_image]

Hi:  Thanks for the reply!  I'll have to investigate further.  I'm still confused because point #4 you highlighted...
4.When using HDMI (such as connecting to a monitor), the HDMI cannot transmit normally during recording due to limitations of the camera control protocol.
A monitor connected to the camera via HDMI DOES transmit recording data if the USB-C cable is NOT connected from camera to gimbal.  Using this protocol, if I'm connected via bluetooth the monitor functions well both on record and playback.  The only drawback being I have somewhat limited use of gimbal features, but at least the monitor functions via HDMI as it should
2023-2-22
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

ski542002 Posted at 2-22 07:35
Hi:  Thanks for the reply!  I'll have to investigate further.  I'm still confused because point #4 you highlighted...
4.When using HDMI (such as connecting to a monitor), the HDMI cannot transmit normally during recording due to limitations of the camera control protocol.
A monitor connected to the camera via HDMI DOES transmit recording data if the USB-C cable is NOT connected from camera to gimbal.  Using this protocol, if I'm connected via bluetooth the monitor functions well both on record and playback.  The only drawback being I have somewhat limited use of gimbal features, but at least the monitor functions via HDMI as it should

Point 4 is noted when you connect USB-C to the gimbal and camera and start recording.
Because the camera will trigger computer control when connecting to the gimbal. Moreover, the HDMI port of the camera will not output any image when turning on this function and starting recording.  
2023-2-22
Use props
ski542002
lvl.1
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2-22 22:43
Point 4 is noted when you connect USB-C to the gimbal and camera and start recording.
Because the camera will trigger computer control when connecting to the gimbal. Moreover, the HDMI port of the camera will not output any image when turning on this function and starting recording.

Thanks for the information. Just for the heck of it, I ordered the Sony cable, DJI R Multi-Camera Control Cable for RS 2/RSC 2/RS 3/RS 3 Pro (Sony Multiport, 11.8").  If it is of no benefit I'll just return it.  

I believe what you're saying about the camera triggering computer control when connected to the gimbal.  I'm just surprised that Sony has no workaround for this issue, given that the Sony bodies are one of the more popular mirrorless brands for video capture.

Will update you again after I attempt this other cable.
2023-2-23
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

ski542002 Posted at 2-23 05:35
Thanks for the information. Just for the heck of it, I ordered the Sony cable, DJI R Multi-Camera Control Cable for RS 2/RSC 2/RS 3/RS 3 Pro (Sony Multiport, 11.8").  If it is of no benefit I'll just return it.  

I believe what you're saying about the camera triggering computer control when connected to the gimbal.  I'm just surprised that Sony has no workaround for this issue, given that the Sony bodies are one of the more popular mirrorless brands for video capture.

Got it. Please tell us your feedback.
2023-2-23
Use props
ski542002
lvl.1
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2-23 20:14

Good morning:  It will be a while until I provide another test update.  Shooting today (stills no video) and a busy early part of next week.  Hope to have an update by/before 3-1.

I did get an interesting reply from a YouTuber who posted a tutorial on the Dji mini setup.  He had a similar issue and had this reply " he updated to the latest firmware Ver. 4.01 (on the A7III) and it fixed the problem and image appears on both screens now.   I am on Ver. 4.0, and will attempt the firmware update on Monday to see if that might be a hidden fix.

stay tuned!
2023-2-24
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

ski542002 Posted at 2-24 06:32
Good morning:  It will be a while until I provide another test update.  Shooting today (stills no video) and a busy early part of next week.  Hope to have an update by/before 3-1.

I did get an interesting reply from a YouTuber who posted a tutorial on the Dji mini setup.  He had a similar issue and had this reply " he updated to the latest firmware Ver. 4.01 (on the A7III) and it fixed the problem and image appears on both screens now.   I am on Ver. 4.0, and will attempt the firmware update on Monday to see if that might be a hidden fix.

Got it. We will wait.
2023-2-25
Use props
ski542002
lvl.1
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2-23 20:14

Nothing is working and I'm back to square one. I'm getting beyond frustrated. With BT connected, (no cables), I have external monitor access, but the only thing I can do with the gimbal is start/stop recording, and joystick control from the monitor.  NOTHING else, including any access to the very convenient dJi IOS app that allows for fantastic options for movement.

It seems like if you use a Sony mirrorless with the Rs3 mini, your only real option is to NOT use an external monitor. I still find that hard to believe given how important an external monitor is, and how prolific the Sony system is for video.

I think what I will do is, For a real paying job, if I ever need the convenience if the IOS app (and it's remote movement options), with the gimbal on a tripod, I'll just switch to the cable and unplug the dead-image monitor.  Use the IOS app remote actions and then when I'm handholding the gimbal, I'll revert to BT only.   Very convoluted.
2023-2-27
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

ski542002 Posted at 2-27 13:14
Nothing is working and I'm back to square one. I'm getting beyond frustrated. With BT connected, (no cables), I have external monitor access, but the only thing I can do with the gimbal is start/stop recording, and joystick control from the monitor.  NOTHING else, including any access to the very convenient dJi IOS app that allows for fantastic options for movement.

It seems like if you use a Sony mirrorless with the Rs3 mini, your only real option is to NOT use an external monitor. I still find that hard to believe given how important an external monitor is, and how prolific the Sony system is for video.

We are sorry to hear this feedback.
Our engineers have tested this before and added the note on the website.
We will forward this to our engineers department. If there are any workaround later, we will update it.
Please stay tuned to our website.
2023-2-27
Use props
ski542002
lvl.1
United States

Good morning.

No need to apologize. All of these different interfaces are very complex and I’m sure conflicts can easily arise.   
I am watching numerous RS3 mini tutorials on YouTube and I am posting my problem in their replies section. Hopefully one of these individuals and the community will have a suggestion.
There has to be some kind of workaround although I can’t recall if I have ever seen anyone using an external monitor with a smaller gimbal set up.
2023-2-28
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

ski542002 Posted at 2-28 02:25
Good morning.

No need to apologize. All of these different interfaces are very complex and I’m sure conflicts can easily arise.   

Thank you for your understanding and support. We hope you can find a workaround from other users and create more excellent works.
2023-2-28
Use props
ski542002
lvl.1
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2-28 22:37
Thank you for your understanding and support. We hope you can find a workaround from other users and create more excellent works.

This is my first gimbal and one factor I noticed, adding an external monitor that needs to be connected to the camera via HDMI, it is extremely difficult to accurately balance the gimbal with the HDMI cable tugging at the camera, especially when the camera pans right (away from the monitor).  I could mount the monitor on top of the hot shoe of the camera, but that's a lot of "top weight" that might as well put extra stress on the motors.  

At some point I will be getting a camera with the "side-articulating" screen, which could negate the need for an external monitor.  ALL users of the mini I've seen are using the articulating screen.  

In retrospect, all of this monitor compatibility issue with your gimbals might be a moot point anyway.  

Will advise if I hear anything of interest with this continuing case.
2023-3-1
Use props
ski542002
lvl.1
United States

ski542002 Posted at 3-1 04:42
This is my first gimbal and one factor I noticed, adding an external monitor that needs to be connected to the camera via HDMI, it is extremely difficult to accurately balance the gimbal with the HDMI cable tugging at the camera, especially when the camera pans right (away from the monitor).  I could mount the monitor on top of the hot shoe of the camera, but that's a lot of "top weight" that might as well put extra stress on the motors.  

At some point I will be getting a camera with the "side-articulating" screen, which could negate the need for an external monitor.  ALL users of the mini I've seen are using the articulating screen.  

Hello Dji Wanda:

I Received an update from a YouTuber, saying when he updated his A7III firmware from V4, to V4.01, his monitor problem (same as mine), was fine, no future issues.

Being hopeful,  I did successfully update V4.01 for my A7III. Tried everything again and no change to the frustration of a few days ago. Changed HDMI & C to C cables as well as trying 3 different HDMI monitors. Same result with all.

I only get external monitor imagery if I'm connected via Bluetooth only. Minimal gimbal feature set with BT. BT off, and c to c (or Sony multi cable) connected and I get lots of great gimbal connectivity, but NO external monitor illumination.

My next step will be to contact Sony pro services to see if they have any thoughts.

Stay tuned!
2023-3-1
Use props
ski542002
lvl.1
United States

Hello Dji Wanda:   So, I might be making progress using the Sony mult-cable.   When recording the external monitor is not going dark.  Tomorrow I need to do some testing to determine in greater detail what is and is not working.  One feature that IS working is the IOS  Dji remote.   Again I will do more testing tomorrow.  Not sure why all of a sudden progress. Has been made.  

Will update you again.
2023-3-1
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

ski542002 Posted at 3-1 19:29
Hello Dji Wanda:   So, I might be making progress using the Sony mult-cable.   When recording the external monitor is not going dark.  Tomorrow I need to do some testing to determine in greater detail what is and is not working.  One feature that IS working is the IOS  Dji remote.   Again I will do more testing tomorrow.  Not sure why all of a sudden progress. Has been made.  

Will update you again.

Thanks for your information and we are glad to know your update here.
If there is anything else that we can help with, please feel free to contact us here anytime.
2023-3-1
Use props
ski542002
lvl.1
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 3-1 22:26
Thanks for your information and we are glad to know your update here.
If there is anything else that we can help with, please feel free to contact us here anytime.

Hello:  My testing was somewhat anticlimactic.   The C to C cable does not allow for external monitor to work, so that cable is out.

The Sony multi-cable allows for a limited feature-set of the gimbal.  AND, in this scenario the bluetooth MUST be enabled.  Here's what this scenario does/doesn't allow...
-Full use of the very beneficial IOS app, but the record on/off button on the phone is not very responsive; sometimes on, sometimes off for the recording. I just need to watch the camera monitor and when a recording command holds, I can tell right away.  
-The record button on the gimbal works well as expected.
-The joystick works as expected.
-The rotating dial in the front does absolutely NOTHING, so I have no access to the features that should be available.   IF I use the USB-c to USB-c cable connection, and turn off BT, then I have use of the rotating dial, but no external monitor support so that's an unacceptable option. For the rotating dial, I set it to ISO. That's something I can easily set on camera so it's not a viable option versus having zero external monitor support.

The limited functionality I have when the Sony Multi-cable is connected is the best option because I have external monitor support.  Not ideal but no one seems to have a better answer for now.

I do have a thin HDMI to HDMI mini on order to allow the gimbal to do it's rotations smoothly.

Still experimenting but unless I hear something from someone/group that has a more intelligent option, this setup is all I can squeeze out of this configuration.
2023-3-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules