636 16 2023-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I want to instal a linux programming language, Gawk, on a Macbook, it's drone related.

If anyone is any good with such things in High Sierra can you explain, in non computer speak English, how to go about it. If I ask on an Apple forum I will probably get computer speak English.

Also what changes do I need to make to add the contents of a folder/directory permanently to PATH. I have been able to do it temporarily, my attempts at modifying various .bash_profile files do not seem to have done the trick. The files/programmes in the folder/directory have their permissions set to executable and do run during the temporary inclusion of the folder/directory in PATH but crash due to no Gawk.

2023-2-21
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have this article bookmarked to help with my memory when I need to update the path.  https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/appleosx-bash-unix-change-set-path-environment-variable/
2023-2-21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TonyPHX Posted at 2-21 17:57
I have this article bookmarked to help with my memory when I need to update the path.  https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/appleosx-bash-unix-change-set-path-environment-variable/

Thanks, I'll have a look in the morning.
2023-2-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Install home-brew then you can do brew install gawk  in terminal.  https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/gawk
2023-2-22
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-22 01:08
Install home-brew then you can do brew install gawk  in terminal.  https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/gawk

I wondered about that @DAFlys.  I use Homebrew and saw that, but that project did not seem to be a programming language.  Is this the same Gawk?
2023-2-22
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Didn't get a chance to try 'owt, I have seen mention of that Homebrew thing but got the impression it is an installer, is that correct?
DAFlys, have you yourself used it to instal Gawk on a Mac?

Having said all this, the idea behind it was to make my pilot-log-book program more accessible. But I doubt many folks would want to HAVE to instal a programming language on their Mac to run program
2023-2-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TonyPHX Posted at 2-22 09:51
I wondered about that @DAFlys.  I use Homebrew and saw that, but that project did not seem to be a programming language.  Is this the same Gawk?

awk and gawk aren't really programming languages. More tools to manipulate data.
2023-2-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-22 10:32
Didn't get a chance to try 'owt, I have seen mention of that Homebrew thing but got the impression it is an installer, is that correct?
DAFlys, have you yourself used it to instal Gawk on a Mac?

Homebrew is an installer,   much like apt-get and the like.  

Homebrew installs gawk just fine.

2023-2-23
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Magic, thanks.
2023-2-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No worries Sean.
2023-2-23
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

I love homebrew and have not had a mac in years without it.  Handy to script your installs too.
2023-2-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 2-23 16:13
I love homebrew and have not had a mac in years without it.  Handy to script your installs too.

Some years ago I had to write a version of homebrew from scratch that would work cross platform.  Linux/AIX/Solaris etc - I wish homebrew was about then I could have just stolen it.
2023-3-1
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 3-1 05:49
Some years ago I had to write a version of homebrew from scratch that would work cross platform.  Linux/AIX/Solaris etc - I wish homebrew was about then I could have just stolen it.

I got home-brew installed but haven't got round to Gawk and the PATH stuff yet.
If you are using Unix proper you are WAY beyond me lol. Are you any good with emacs? Specifically text colour?
2023-3-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 3-1 07:11
I got home-brew installed but haven't got round to Gawk and the PATH stuff yet.
If you are using Unix proper you are WAY beyond me lol. Are you any good with emacs? Specifically text colour?

I dont use emacs,   I prefer nano for a quick edit or sublime for bigger projects.
2023-3-1
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fair enough, thanks.
2023-3-1
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Friends don't let friends use emacs.
2023-3-1
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TonyPHX Posted at 3-1 20:12
Friends don't let friends use emacs.

Why? ........ (this 10 character thing is a nuisance)
2023-3-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules