Buttons malfunctioning with the P2 water-proof case? Check this mod
877 4 2023-2-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

As requested by @Blériot53, I decided to put these instructions here, in case you people have the same problems I did.

As some of you may have read here, I've had problems with the Pocket 2 water-proof case with tightness of the case and the buttons malfunctioning (not working when pressed, wrong button activating when pressing another, buttons operating when moving the case even when not pressed). The tightness itself was solved by replacing the case with another through service, but the button malfunctions still occurred. I found this to be by a design flaw - the mode and record buttons of the Pocket 2 are rising a bit higher than rest of the front side elements, causing these buttons to bump to the case and malfunction. My father, who excels at DIY solutions, found a way to solve this by this little mod, so the greatest thanks for solving this problem belong to him. After this mod, I have not encountered the button malfunctions at all - they work properly, and activate only when intentionally pressed.

A couple of disclaimers before starting:
This is made by your own responsibility and has been only tested to work with the Pocket 2 and the Pocket 2 Water-proof case. YMMV with the original Osmo Pocket and/or Osmo Pocket Water-Proof Case. The mod HAS NOT BEEN TESTED with the travel charging case, so make sure you A) don't need one before doing this mod, B) make all the measurements required to make sure you choose a riser part small enough to also fit in the travel charging case or C) acknowledge that you may not be able to use it with the control port cover on the Pocket 2. Be sure to follow the instructions closely to avoid damage to Pocket 2, Water-Proof Case, other property or yourself. If you are unsure about this, don't do this until you are 100% sure you know how to do this or find a person with enough skills to do this. This mod is in no way endorsed or encouraged by DJI and may affect warranty.

Now that this is out of the way, let's see it step by step:
ITEMS NEEDED
Stuff used(2).jpg -Cardboard and tape to make a model for the measures
-The Pocket 2
-The Pocket 2 control port cover
-A suitable piece of plastic (either a ready one or one measured and cut by yourself, you may need extra tools such as saws, hobby knives, sandpaper etc. to make the part the right size). I myself used a piece of an old laptop webcam cover.
-Vernier caliper for measuring the right size, unless you use the exact measures mentioned in these instructions.
-Suitable glue for attaching the riser plastic and the control port cover together
-A graphite pen for marking the attaching spot, if the part is smaller than the control port front part
-A jaw clamp for applying pressure to the glued parts to help the attachment process

1. Use the caliper for measuring the right measurements for the size of the riser part. Cut the right-sized model part from thin cardboard, if needed attach more than one layer together with tape. The measures that my father measured were 1,08 mm x 11,2 mm x 21,8 mm (0,043 inches x 0,440 inches x 0,858 inches). The part I used was 1,24 mm x 10 mm x 20 mm (0,049 inches x 0,394 inches x 0,787 inches), so there is some tolerance. Do bear in mind though that the thickness is the most important measure - making it too thick will make you have trouble with the insertion of the Anti-Fog Inserts! Compare this model part to the Pocket 2's control port area with the cover in it's place. Measuring the dimensions(2).jpg 2. Then, compare the riser part you are about to use, with the model part. Make sure it is not bigger than the model or the measures mentioned here. Comparing the riser to the model(2).jpg 3. If the riser part width and/or height is smaller than the model, use pen to mark the spot where you want to place the riser. You may want to leave some space for a fingernail to keep the removal of the cover easy. Marking the spot(2).jpg 4. After this, remove the control port cover from the Pocket 2. This is to make sure you won't accidentally glue the cover to the Pocket 2 itself. DO NOT ATTEMPT THE GLUING WHEN THE COVER IS ATTACHED TO THE POCKET 2, you'll want to be able to still switch to joystick/controller wheel/smartphone adapter/selfie stick etc. Removing the cover (2).jpg 5. Make sure the riser and cover are clean and dry. Take the glue and apply it to the riser part. Opening the glue (2).jpg Applying glue to the part(2).jpg 6. Place the riser on the cover in the right spot and apply pressure with the clamp until the glue has dried. Be careful not to glue it to the clamp! Pressing the parts together (2).jpg 7.The completed mod should look similar to this (Notice the hole is due to the part I used, yours doesn't have to have that). Completed mod (2).jpg Slide the cover on the control port, place the Pocket 2 into the case, insert an anti-fog insert and start using the case. The buttons should now work as intended, with no malfunctions occurring.

I hope this helps the people who had these button malfunction problems with their Pocket 2 and Water-proof case. If you have questions or feedback, feel free to comment :-)

2023-2-23
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Glad to learn that this solution of your dad's worked for you
2023-2-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I love the brand of your super glue.
2023-2-24
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-23 23:39
Glad to learn that this solution of your dad's worked for you

So am I, he is really talented when it comes to these DIY solutions. He has built a reputation on it, both in his worklife and his freetime, and many companies still request for his help with their machines even though he is officially retired
2023-2-24
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DAFlys Posted at 2-24 00:48
I love the brand of your super glue.

It wasn't the original choice I had in my mind when I was about to do this, but my original choice had dried out and had this in an unopened package, so ended up using this. And seems to have done the job brilliantly Even though the bottle was a pain in the backside to open
2023-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules