Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P1 smart oblique "shadows" in Drone Deploy
1393 12 2023-2-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AgSmart UAV
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1843015 ft

New Zealand

Hi,
I have been capturing 3d images with the P1's smart oblique function, then processing the data in drone deploy.
Each time so far i keep getting these annoying "shadows" around some of the edges.
Has anyone else struck this? shadow.PNG
Or offer any thoughts?
Cheers
2023-2-27
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Hi
For flat landscapes it is not recommended to use smart oblique.  The screenshot shows a pretty dirty result.  The problem may be Drone Deploy.
2023-2-27
Use props
Arnor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2660509 ft
Belgium

Extra questions : RTK on? GCPs? Overlaps over 70%?

We use the P1 a lot, never had this issue.
2023-2-27
Use props
AgSmart UAV
lvl.2

New Zealand

LV_Forestry Posted at 2-27 21:32
Hi
For flat landscapes it is not recommended to use smart oblique.  The screenshot shows a pretty dirty result.  The problem may be Drone Deploy.

Still awaiting DD feedback
2023-2-27
Use props
AgSmart UAV
lvl.2

New Zealand

Arnor Posted at 2-27 21:53
Extra questions : RTK on? GCPs? Overlaps over 70%?

We use the P1 a lot, never had this issue.

Yup both rtk and gcps, both overlaps 80%
2023-2-27
Use props
AgSmart UAV
lvl.2

New Zealand

Keeping in mind , shadows are only on the edges, and are outside the planned mapping area,  the rest of the project is perfect, with accuracy, and detail.
2023-2-27
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Latvia

AgSmart UAV Posted at 2-27 22:13
Keeping in mind , shadows are only on the edges, and are outside the planned mapping area,  the rest of the project is perfect, with accuracy, and detail.

I do not know the Drone Deploy photogrammetry software but in my opinion the problem comes from there. Just like Arnor, I never had this problem (with Metashape). The edge of the maps are clean and without burrs.
2023-2-27
Use props
AgSmart UAV
lvl.2

New Zealand

I've had good results with the P1 and 2d with DD. problems only seem to be with smart oblique
2023-2-27
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Latvia

AgSmart UAV Posted at 2-27 22:59
I've had good results with the P1 and 2d with DD. problems only seem to be with smart oblique

I don't know. The only thing I can offer you is to send me your dataset, I process it with Metashape and we compare the result.
2023-2-27
Use props
Arnor
lvl.4
Belgium

LV_Forestry Posted at 2-27 23:07
I don't know. The only thing I can offer you is to send me your dataset, I process it with Metashape and we compare the result.

Slightly off topic question : did you tried OpenDroneMap? If so : what's your opinion about it? I did some tests and its slow ( with H20T ) RGB, with P1 it couldn't process it.

Normally I use Pix4D.
2023-2-28
Use props
Arnor
lvl.4
Belgium

AgSmart UAV Posted at 2-27 22:59
I've had good results with the P1 and 2d with DD. problems only seem to be with smart oblique

It could be the overlap on the edge isn't enough for DD. Don't they provide a processing report? Can you check how many overlapping pictures you had?

2023-2-28
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Latvia

Arnor Posted at 2-28 21:39
Slightly off topic question : did you tried OpenDroneMap? If so : what's your opinion about it? I did some tests and its slow ( with H20T ) RGB, with P1 it couldn't process it.

Normally I use Pix4D.

Some time ago that I used WeBodm. Since then there have been evolution so my opinion is certainly not objective.
For my use, Mapping with drone, and 3D object reconstruction, Agisoft Metashape is the top. Combined with QGIS to do raster analysis, it's the great combo for me.

What I criticize at Pix4D is the price of licenses. The fact that this is not a perpetual license in the direction where you have to pay after 1 year to update. They make too many advertising for features census to be revolutionary but not so.

At the moment they are selling their new magic feature excluded pix4D detection by research grid, notably to detect the weed in cultures. It has existed on qgis for at least as long as I use qgis and it's free. What I mean is not the kind of thing that in my opinion justifies having to repay 20% of the license every year.

From a GIS point of view I find that Metashape is much more sharp with the management of the settings,  Geoid, Custom Reference Systems, Point Cloud Classification ...
2023-3-1
Use props
Arnor
lvl.4
Belgium

LV_Forestry Posted at 3-1 01:44
Some time ago that I used WeBodm. Since then there have been evolution so my opinion is certainly not objective.
For my use, Mapping with drone, and 3D object reconstruction, Agisoft Metashape is the top. Combined with QGIS to do raster analysis, it's the great combo for me.

Thanks for feedback, totally agree about Pix4D...and Mapper is still stuck as it was many years ago :-(
2023-3-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules