Damping Out Bumps When Filming In Car/Bus/Tram With Suction Cup
914 4 2023-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lazy Explorer
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Hi, apologies if this is posted in the wrong section as I am new to the forum.

I started a Youtube channel with walking and bus tour videos, but filming on public transport is trickier than I thought. I am using a DJI Pocket 2 attached to a single suction cup and unfortunately it picks up the bumps and can be seen in my videos. Here is the one I'm using:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1466150-REG/shape_scwop_suction_cup_with_ball.html/?ap=y&smp=y&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6fafBhC1ARIsAIJjL8kRCXiASrwCiy05pcXFepvkbL30_Q9-ZuvhbEWnuVUgM9Mfcjitf2IaAvAWEALw_wcB

And here is one of my videos:

https://youtu.be/abGEIDsGwo8

You can even pick it up the bumps in the slow motion intro around the 0:10 mark. I could not even use my tram footage due to the bad shakiness in the bumps.

I was wondering is upgrading to this would solve the problem?

https://www.amazon.com/Triple-Camera-Suction-Compatible-Camcorder/dp/B01E8CWB6G

Not because it has more suction, but because it seems the length of the little arm of my current single cup mount creates an amplifying motion in the shakiness of going through bumps. Also wondering if the gimbal in the DJI Pocket plays a roll and/or if a smaller more square-like GoPro will perform better.

Any tips would be hugely appreciated!

2023-2-28
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

The camera is stabilised in respect to rotation around the tilt and roll and pan axes but it's not stabilised against vibration.  So you have to isolate it from that somehow.  You might find an electronic image stabilisation camera (the DJI Action 3 for instance) might give better results, as cameras of that type compare each frame with the previous one and try to compensate for any difference of position including vibration.
2023-2-28
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

There are separate z-axis stabilizers for reducing the up-down-bopping effect, but for what I've seen, they're usually intended to be held in hand while walking. I wonder if those could work with an additional mount too? (Such as the suction cup mounts mentioned here, or, for example, if I mounted the z-axis stabilizer on a bicycle handle and mounted the Pocket 2 on that?)
2023-2-28
Use props
Lazy Explorer
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Thanks for the replies. I am going to try out the 3-cup suction mount for now. I believe the problem lies with the moment arm of my single suction cup which amplifies the bumps and it actually has a small torsion tendency as well.
2023-2-28
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

Lazy Explorer Posted at 2-28 20:55
Thanks for the replies. I am going to try out the 3-cup suction mount for now. I believe the problem lies with the moment arm of my single suction cup which amplifies the bumps and it actually has a small torsion tendency as well.

Looking at the video it looks like you are using auto focus AF-C & that is shifting focus at slight vibration compounding your problem.
Try AF-S in same scene & it should provide you much stable footage since minor vibration is well stabilized by its gimbal.
Also use ND filter to get 180 degree shutter angle will help in getting natural motion blur which will mitigate the vibrational jerks.

Even when you board the double deckker bus its vibrating & I assume you were hand holding the camera that time.
2023-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules