DJI O3 - Goggles V2 and DJI FPV RC 2 - Question to DJI
549 7 2023-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Raf_IZ0QWM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1640843 ft
Italy

I would just like to ask DJI if there is anything they can do to fix this behavior:

I know that the DJI O3 Air Unit, the Goggles (whichever 2 or V2) and the DJI FPV Remote Controller 2 create a binding network, but it would be nice if the remote controller would still work even if the goggles had a power problem.

I give some examples:

I turn on the DJI O3, I turn on the Remote Controller 2 and I don't turn on the goggles. I am perfectly able to arm the drone and fly without the need for goggles (obviously in VLOS).
As soon as I turn on the goggles and they link, everything works but, if I turn them off, the drone disarms the motors.

Would it be possible to keep the two things uncorrelated? Prevent the engines from turning off if the goggles go off?

This way the DJI O3 system would be perfect and we could use it on FPV drones as if we were using a different RX system.

2023-2-28
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Thanks for your support. We have forwarded your case to our teams. We will update here if we get any information.
2023-3-1
Use props
Luca Rubino
Second Officer
Flight distance : 711512 ft
  • >>>
Italy

I totally agree. This problem was already present in the old Air unit with old Remote controller (the big one). I'm using FPV Remote 2 on my own build. But I will get into the crossfire soon because this problem is very dangerous.

Grande Raffaele!
2023-3-1
Use props
Raf_IZ0QWM
Second Officer
Italy

Luca Rubino Posted at 3-1 00:30
I totally agree. This problem was already present in the old Air unit with old Remote controller (the big one). I'm using FPV Remote 2 on my own build. But I will get into the crossfire soon because this problem is very dangerous.

Grande Raffaele!

Thanks Luca,
the O3 Air Unit system is truly a great system. Thanks to its ability to record video with IMU information, for many applications, it will no longer be necessary to have an additional camera on the drone.
Likewise, if this problem I mentioned is solved, it is possible to use the module alone without having a second receiver.

You definitely need to pay attention to the type of antennas you use.
Many FPV drone operators are used to having single band antennas, but on the O3 at least one must be dual band because the Remote Controller 2 operates at both 5.8GHz and 2.4GHz ensuring better reception (the video only works on 5.8GHz).

Unfortunately all these nice features are canceled if in case of small failures of the video system the drone stops working.

That's why I wanted to make this post.
2023-3-1
Use props
Raf_IZ0QWM
Second Officer
Italy

DJI Wanda Posted at 3-1 00:30
Hello, there. Thanks for your support. We have forwarded your case to our teams. We will update here if we get any information.

Thank you very much DJI Wanda.
Please read also the answer to Luca.

The DJI O3 system is great, with some little improvement like this, could become wonderful for us.
2023-3-1
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Raf_IZ0QWM Posted at 3-1 03:52
Thank you very much DJI Wanda.
Please read also the answer to Luca.

Thanks for your understanding.
We learned from our engineers that when Goggles, O3 air unit, and aircraft are linked. If you shut off the Goggles, the signals between the O3 air unit and the remote controller will be cut off. Then, it would be normal for the motors of the aircraft will be disarmed.  
We confirmed that it is the product logic.
We thank you for your feedback and we will forward it to our R&D department for evaluation.
2023-3-1
Use props
Raf_IZ0QWM
Second Officer
Italy

DJI Wanda Posted at 3-1 04:03
Thanks for your understanding.
We learned from our engineers that when Goggles, O3 air unit, and aircraft are linked. If you shut off the Goggles, the signals between the O3 air unit and the remote controller will be cut off. Then, it would be normal for the motors of the aircraft will be disarmed.  
We confirmed that it is the product logic.

I know that is a product logic but I hope it could be changed.

You can well understand that although FPV drones must be guided with the goggles, something can always happen to one of the components of the system.
The goggles have a cable, a battery and something could happen, an arm getting caught, someone nearby pulling the cord...

If you fly in an environment where you have the ability to see the drone (as an observer should actually do), even without the goggles, it would be possible to take the drone at home.
In short, it is not normal for the system to disarm the motors due to the failure of an external component. A failsafe could be engaged for some drones (e.g. those with GPS) or other features, for example for those who install the O3 on drones with ardupilot.

But if turning off the goggles causes everything to turn off, this is not possible.

The fact that you can try to change the logic is proof that if I don't turn on the goggles, the drone works perfectly with the remote control alone.

Thank you for your work.
Please pass this use case to the engineers as well.

Raffaello
2023-3-1
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Raf_IZ0QWM Posted at 3-1 05:17
I know that is a product logic but I hope it could be changed.

You can well understand that although FPV drones must be guided with the goggles, something can always happen to one of the components of the system.

We have forwarded this post to them. Thanks for your understanding.
2023-3-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules