7906 54 2023-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cycloholic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1514948 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Any recommendations where to mount(or hide) AirTag?
2023-3-1
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Just a reminder. Adding an Air Tag will put you over 250 grams.
2023-3-1
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

A big issue you’ll want to be aware of is that there’s a fairly strong magnet in the AirTag. The AirTag could well cause RF interference but I think you'll certainly have problems with the IMU and Magnet compass.  I'm not an engineer and if I'm wrong I'm sure somebody will call me out.  I did see a holder available here but don't know if that is an ideal holder or location.
AirTag.jpg
2023-3-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-1 13:06
A big issue you’ll want to be aware of is that there’s a fairly strong magnet in the AirTag. The AirTag could well cause RF interference but I think you'll certainly have problems with the IMU and Magnet compass.  I'm not an engineer and if I'm wrong I'm sure somebody will call me out.  I did see a holder available here but don't know if that is an ideal holder or location.

I think (although i could wrong) that this is one of the rare occasions when you would need to calibrate the compass (with it attached) and again if you remove it.

What about the GPS, I'm not sure where its located exactly but its deffo at the top.
2023-3-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Id stick it to the rear of the battery.  
2023-3-2
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Just a friendly reminder, we do not recommend you use third-party accessories, because we cannot promise its performance, the compatibility of accessories may affect the flight performance and functions of the aircraft. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-3-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 3-1 16:38
I think (although i could wrong) that this is one of the rare occasions when you would need to calibrate the compass (with it attached) and again if you remove it.

What about the GPS, I'm not sure where its located exactly but its deffo at the top.

Not sure on GPS location.  I use a VIFLY Beacon and attach it to the battery.
2023-3-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 3-2 00:51
Id stick it to the rear of the battery.

That's where I attach my VIFLY Beacon.
2023-3-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-2 04:05
That's where I attach my VIFLY Beacon.

Me too,   or at least my non brand beacon.    Its on velcro for easy detatch.  
2023-3-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 3-2 04:31
Me too,   or at least my non brand beacon.    Its on velcro for easy detatch.

Velcro for the win and I can move it from drone to drone easily.  
2023-3-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-2 04:48
Velcro for the win and I can move it from drone to drone easily.

My strobes came with some small circles of it.  so far they have been quite good.
2023-3-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 3-2 05:25
My strobes came with some small circles of it.  so far they have been quite good.

Are they the 3M brand?
2023-3-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-2 05:31
Are they the 3M brand?

hahaha,  no they were far too cheap for that,  but still they are working fine.
2023-3-2
Use props
cycloholic
lvl.3
  • >>>
Sweden

I spend almost 5 hours to locate my mini 2 with dead battery into the forrest. I think i should have find it imidiately with an airtag. I was in the exact last postion but wasnt visible, and the battery totally emptied.
2023-3-2
Use props
Occams Razor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 423497 ft
United States

cycloholic Posted at 3-2 06:59
I spend almost 5 hours to locate my mini 2 with dead battery into the forrest. I think i should have find it imidiately with an airtag. I was in the exact last postion but wasnt visible, and the battery totally emptied.

Air Tags have to be within Bluetooth range (approximately 10 meters) of an iOS device with a cell/data signal.   It sounds like your drone was in a remote area where an Air Tag would not have helped you.  As others have mentioned, a GPS based tracking device would be better for your needs.
2023-3-2
Use props
cycloholic
lvl.3
  • >>>
Sweden

I was inside 10 meters
2023-3-2
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

i remember making this post on vifly.

vifly has a much greater [audible] range than bluetooth.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-275059-1-1.html
2023-3-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 3-2 05:38
hahaha,  no they were far too cheap for that,  but still they are working fine.

Nothing wrong with cheap as long as they work.  
2023-3-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-2 13:06
Nothing wrong with cheap as long as they work.

So far they have been quite good fun,   Ive yet to do the red and blue flash with them though.
2023-3-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 3-2 23:58
So far they have been quite good fun,   Ive yet to do the red and blue flash with them though.

Reserve the red and blue flash for a special occasion.  Reminds me, any action back in that field where the pots were and it looked somewhat abandoned?
2023-3-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-3 04:01
Reserve the red and blue flash for a special occasion.  Reminds me, any action back in that field where the pots were and it looked somewhat abandoned?

Nothing in that field yet,   funnily enough I flew that way yesterday to take a look at the purple sky I posted.
2023-3-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 3-3 04:30
Nothing in that field yet,   funnily enough I flew that way yesterday to take a look at the purple sky I posted.

Okay, so they haven't returned yet.  Now I'm wondering if the moved to a different site or just gave up on whatever they were doing.  
2023-3-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-3 04:46
Okay, so they haven't returned yet.  Now I'm wondering if the moved to a different site or just gave up on whatever they were doing.

I really tempted to go for a walk into the area and see if the tools are still there or not. that would give a clue.
2023-3-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 3-3 05:01
I really tempted to go for a walk into the area and see if the tools are still there or not. that would give a clue.

It sure would provide a clue one way or the other.  It was definitely an isolated location for whatever purpose they had in mind.
2023-3-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 3-2 05:25

Did you get the Strobon ones? I got these little circles too with mine, they are not your normal velcro, they are a hard plastic type, i don't think that they are as strong as normal velcro as they pull off quite easily but are stronger pulling from an angle, weird little things, having said that, i do not think that the strobes will fall off, i bought a load more of them from amazon lol I also like the USB-C, less faff than the older model i lost age ago :/
2023-3-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-3 13:51
It sure would provide a clue one way or the other.  It was definitely an isolated location for whatever purpose they had in mind.

I dipped in low this morning and got a shot for you.  
2023-3-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 3-3 15:33
Did you get the Strobon ones? I got these little circles too with mine, they are not your normal velcro, they are a hard plastic type, i don't think that they are as strong as normal velcro as they pull off quite easily but are stronger pulling from an angle, weird little things, having said that, i do not think that the strobes will fall off, i bought a load more of them from amazon lol I also like the USB-C, less faff than the older model i lost age ago :/

I got some of these -  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304582840002?var=603603494312
2023-3-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 3-4 01:23
I got some of these -  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304582840002?var=603603494312

ah, mine are three of these
https://www.flytron.com/collecti ... usb-type-c-charging
2023-3-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 3-4 01:21
I dipped in low this morning and got a shot for you.

Thanks I saw it.  Much appreciate the effort to go and check it out.  Sure seems permanently abandoned now.  
2023-3-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 3-4 04:17
ah, mine are three of these
https://www.flytron.com/collections/led-light-systems/products/strobon-c-1-standalone-drone-strobe-with-usb-type-c-charging

They look good,  but sadly not multi colour,   I kinda got the cheap ones as I wanted red/blue alternating flashing.  
2023-3-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-4 04:24
Thanks I saw it.  Much appreciate the effort to go and check it out.  Sure seems permanently abandoned now.

At some point when I have the appropriate outfit on I may enter the area and see whats in the wheelie bin.
2023-3-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 3-4 04:58
They look good,  but sadly not multi colour,   I kinda got the cheap ones as I wanted red/blue alternating flashing.

I went for the red (left side of the body), green (right side of the body), white (back of battery), that way i can easily tell which way the bird is pointing meaning i can fly as far as i like as long as i can still tell the orientation of it, much further than the previous 500m limit The other great thing is the weight of them.

I did have a multi coloured one on the Mini 2 (not like yours, similar to the type i linked you), i didn't like it, it was too heavy and with the LED's being that close together didn't help to know the orientation.

You've probably gathered by now that the LED's are for my benefit, not for the other manned aircraft although they may still see them mind... It is a little fiddly turning them on and off though but needs must.
2023-3-4
Use props
PixelPro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1205715 ft
United States

Why would you want to do that? DJI drones already have a tracking feature.
2023-3-4
Use props
cycloholic
lvl.3
  • >>>
Sweden

I have already replied about that.
2023-3-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

PixelPro Posted at 3-4 11:18
Why would you want to do that? DJI drones already have a tracking feature.

i believe the idea is if your drone goes down or flyaway and the battery is depleted or disabled (maybe from the crash, a collision, error, or whatever), you may not get be able to get an accurate location or fix on a good location of the drone.  maybe pilots have used the tracking feature but were unsuccessful so they feel like a secondary or backup method is more suitable.  if you live and fly in the right location, the airtag may be ideal for you even though dji recommends against attaching it to your drone.  others use an external gps device with a more reliable battery and able to withstand crashes which help alot since even being off by a few meters can mean the difference between a lost or found drone.  drones have been known to hang up in the tree limbs 50 feet up or bury in the brush next to the river bank, you could literally be standing on it and not know it.  i depend on a beacon which emits an audible noise that can be heard more than 500 yards on a quiet day so it help me to zero in when i get a general location.  the battery should last overnight and into the next day should you need to wait before you can carry out a proper search.   in addition, i will employ a strobe light (as mentioned by others as well) and if you wait until after dark, makes it pretty easy to find instead of giving up for the evening and having to worry about come back in the morning.
2023-3-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 3-4 14:28
i believe the idea is if your drone goes down or flyaway and the battery is depleted or disabled (maybe from the crash, a collision, error, or whatever), you may not get be able to get an accurate location or fix on a good location of the drone.  maybe pilots have used the tracking feature but were unsuccessful so they feel like a secondary or backup method is more suitable.  if you live and fly in the right location, the airtag may be ideal for you even though dji recommends against attaching it to your drone.  others use an external gps device with a more reliable battery and able to withstand crashes which help alot since even being off by a few meters can mean the difference between a lost or found drone.  drones have been known to hang up in the tree limbs 50 feet up or bury in the brush next to the river bank, you could literally be standing on it and not know it.  i depend on a beacon which emits an audible noise that can be heard more than 500 yards on a quiet day so it help me to zero in when i get a general location.  the battery should last overnight and into the next day should you need to wait before you can carry out a proper search.   in addition, i will employ a strobe light (as mentioned by others as well) and if you wait until after dark, makes it pretty easy to find instead of giving up for the evening and having to worry about come back in the morning.

Your strobe idea is only any good if it goes down near dusk cause i don't know of any decent strobe worth its weight that lasts for more than a handful of hours, I think mine are 3 hours max
2023-3-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 3-4 16:08
Your strobe idea is only any good if it goes down near dusk cause i don't know of any decent strobe worth its weight that lasts for more than a handful of hours, I think mine are 3 hours max

agreed, i wouldn't turn on a strobe light unless it starts to get dark.  for me the strobe light is the final assist.  the vifly beacon, which i run during the day, is primarily audible but it has a tiny strobe light built in light sensor and apparently that will only light up during the dark and will apparently run all night....maybe i should test it at home.

otherwise the traditional vifly strobe is posted at 4hrs.

https://www.amazon.com/VIFLY-Str ... pire/dp/B096VCKR97/
2023-3-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 3-4 07:53
I went for the red (left side of the body), green (right side of the body), white (back of battery), that way i can easily tell which way the bird is pointing  meaning i can fly as far as i like as long as i can still tell the orientation of it, much further than the previous 500m limit  The other great thing is the weight of them.

I did have a multi coloured one on the Mini 2 (not like yours, similar to the type i linked you), i didn't like it, it was too heavy and with the LED's being that close together didn't help to know the orientation.

Nothing wrong with that Bashy in my books.   
2023-3-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 3-4 05:14
At some point when I have the appropriate outfit on I may enter the area and see whats in the wheelie bin.

You might be surprised as to what you find. It doesn't look like an easy area to access.
2023-3-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-5 05:31
You might be surprised as to what you find. It doesn't look like an easy area to access.

At the peak the summer the reeds were taller than me,   but now they look like they have receded.
2023-3-5
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules