914 23 2023-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Away on an excursion the other day, I was happy enough to wear the Action2 and its attached charging block on the magnetic lanyard.
Imagine my horror when the unit, unaccountably, dropped from the lanyard at neck height and landed with an alarming CLONK on the paverment, then skittered into the gutter.
Time for a Care-Refresh claim?  Not a bit of it!  Apart from a tiny mark on the protective casing, there was no apparent damage. Subsequent use satisfied me that none of the functionality has been affected either. I've continued to use the magnetic lanyard, albeit with some anxiety, and no further incidents ensued.
Here's hoping that all continues to be well.  
2023-3-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

OK So we can narrow down where you've been a there was a pavement and a gutter.   hmmm.   But being more serious thats really good to hear how sturdy the Action 2 is,  most cameras don't survive a fall like that.  
2023-3-3
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 3-3 05:54
OK So we can narrow down where you've been a there was a pavement and a gutter.   hmmm.   But being more serious thats really good to hear how sturdy the Action 2 is,  most cameras don't survive a fall like that.

I suppose time will tell, if some consequent defect manifests itself. But at least I have another 10 months left on the Care Refresh if the worst should happen.
2023-3-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That is (to some extent) good to read.
2023-3-3
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 3-3 06:17
That is (to some extent) good to read.

Thanks Peter. It took me an anxious few minutes to get over the shock
2023-3-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Blériot53 Posted at 3-3 06:30

Yeah, I can imagine.
Do you feel the magnetic holder is to blame?
2023-3-3
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 3-3 07:05
Yeah, I can imagine.
Do you feel the magnetic holder is to blame?

Well it felt perfectly safe up to that point.  And it's been fine since.  I must have somehow knocked it off its mount  - but I'm not aware of how.
2023-3-3
Use props
PixelPro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1205715 ft
United States

Good to hear I've been contemplating getting one. How has it been working for you i.e hows the video quality?
2023-3-3
Use props
PixelPro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1205715 ft
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 3-3 06:30

I know how you feel. I accidentally dropped my RC face first on my desk a few days ago. Thankfully no damage or scratches.
2023-3-3
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PixelPro Posted at 3-3 10:53
Good to hear  I've been contemplating getting one. How has it been working for you i.e hows the video quality?

Video quality is pretty good. But the lens does distort angles somewhat to the corners of a frame, unlike the Pocket2.
2023-3-3
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PixelPro Posted at 3-3 10:56
I know how you feel. I accidentally dropped my RC face first on my desk a few days ago. Thankfully no damage or scratches.

It's that sinking feeling that you get. An "Oh CR@P!"  moment.
2023-3-3
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

I can easily relate to your feeling on that moment, my heart stopped for a while the time same happened to my Pocket 2 when it was mounted on my bike and drove into a small pothole. But glad to hear your Action 2 didn't get seriously damaged. I do think that most action cams can handle a bit more beating than your average pocket camera. And it's easy to see why you are a bit cautious about the magnetic lanyard after that. Hoping you happy and accident-free filmings!
2023-3-3
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 3-3 13:41
I can easily relate to your feeling on that moment, my heart stopped for a while the time same happened to my Pocket 2 when it was mounted on my bike and drove into a small pothole. But glad to hear your Action 2 didn't get seriously damaged. I do think that most action cams can handle a bit more beating than your average pocket camera. And it's easy to see why you are a bit cautious about the magnetic lanyard after that. Hoping you happy and accident-free filmings!

I was relieved to find that it appears to still be working as it shouid.
2023-3-3
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 3-3 14:01
I was relieved to find that it appears to still be working as it shouid.

Yeah, these kinds of moments always give you pause when they happen, and the relief is equally strong in the cases there is no significant damage.
2023-3-3
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 3-3 14:06
Yeah, these kinds of moments always give you pause when they happen, and the relief is equally strong in the cases there is no significant damage.

2023-3-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Blériot53 Posted at 3-3 07:18
Well it felt perfectly safe up to that point.  And it's been fine since.  I must have somehow knocked it off its mount  - but I'm not aware of how.

I hope this was a once in a lifetime thing.
2023-3-5
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 3-5 01:11
I hope this was a once in a lifetime thing.

You and me both !  
10 months of Care Refresh remaining, just in case.
2023-3-5
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

It sounds like you used the Action 2 in two-module form - you're not supposed to use the lanyard under those circumstances - it's only intended for holding the camera module.  That's set out by DJI somewhere - but I don't remember where!

As for general robustness - well, I dropped my Action 1 fifty feet onto concrete from the top of a 6 level car park.  I don't think it was even scratched.  The Insta360 Go 2 to which it was attached was totally destroyed (though to be fair, it bounced into the road and was probably run over).  Indeed the Action 1 made a great video of this episode.   Would I try that with the Action 2?  Er - no.
2023-3-7
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

2023-3-7
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

OUCH!  Looks like the Insta360 sacrificed itself to save the Osmo.
Thanks for the graphic report. Sorry you suffered a loss. But that was (inadvertently) a much more severe test than mine suffered.  And both units (yours and mine)  survived. It's re-assuring
2023-3-7
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

fansfe82067d Posted at 3-7 03:43
https://youtu.be/6nUw7uWYBxw

Made for an interesting POV video, but sorry to hear your Insta didn't make it. But at least the Osmo survived, so you're not completely out of cameras.
2023-3-7
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Well, a couple of months later the, er, other company made the actual camera module available on its own, so I replaced it.  So I'm currently running the Pocket 1, Pocket 2, Action 1, Action 2, Go 2, two Panasonic DSLRs, an elderly but still functional Panasonic traditional video camera, an X2 and X3 - and an Android phone which is what I use most, I guess...

Does the word "obsessive" spring to mind?  Or just "broke"?
2023-3-8
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 3-8 14:31
Well, a couple of months later the, er, other company made the actual camera module available on its own, so I replaced it.  So I'm currently running the Pocket 1, Pocket 2, Action 1, Action 2, Go 2, two Panasonic DSLRs, an elderly but still functional Panasonic traditional video camera, an X2 and X3 - and an Android phone which is what I use most, I guess...

Well you certainly seem to be going for a full set
If you hang onto them all you'll be able to start a museum one day
By which time you may end up broke
2023-3-8
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

fansfe82067d Posted at 3-8 14:31
Well, a couple of months later the, er, other company made the actual camera module available on its own, so I replaced it.  So I'm currently running the Pocket 1, Pocket 2, Action 1, Action 2, Go 2, two Panasonic DSLRs, an elderly but still functional Panasonic traditional video camera, an X2 and X3 - and an Android phone which is what I use most, I guess...

Well, if nothing else then you can at least say you have a versatile collection
2023-3-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules