Accident with my DJI MINI 3 PRO
4154 28 2023-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ICL1983
lvl.1
Flight distance : 56995 ft
Spain

Hello everyone, I would like to share with you my case.

I was flying the drone over a farm with greenhouses. The weather was perfect; it was a sunny and windless day. In the flight area, there were no obstacles, no electricity towers and it is not an area frequented by birds.

The drone was working perfectly, at one point I started to turn the drone to take a photo from another perspective and I observed on the RC screen how the camera image blurred while it slowed down, occurring twice in a time interval of 5 seconds.

After that, when I tried to bring it to my position, the drone suddenly began to fall steeply as the drone rotated on itself, until it finally crashed into the ground.

While the drone was falling, I could see the message on the RC screen: motor blocked. I couldn't do anything at all because the controls didn't respond.

I could find the drone by activating the option: locate my drone.

The drone has suffered serious damage: broken propellers, two broken arms, broken gimbal, damaged body, etc.

I attach the link with the flight log:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sITFwd6eoxEf4BmbLUkMiBMeB81w45E1/view?usp=sharing

2023-3-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The drone was working perfectly, at one point I started to turn the drone to take a photo from another perspective and I observed on the RC screen how the camera image blurred while it slowed down, occurring twice in a time interval of 5 seconds.

After that, when I tried to bring it to my position, the drone suddenly began to fall steeply as the drone rotated on itself, until it finally crashed into the ground.
Here's a summary report of your flight data:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/5FE5FJB4D1W8E8VVZYKN/

The first indication of a problem started to show at 3:54.4 when the drone's tilt angle started acting erratically.
Without any corresponding joystick input the pitch (angle the drone was tilted forward) started to swing between 0° and 46°.
The drone was maintaining height but the roll angle started to wobble a little, but at 3:58.2 the drone rolled 45° to the left.
At 4:01.4 the drone started to spin clockwise and a second later the pitch and roll angles were 50° and more.
Strangely the drone was managing to hold altitude through this but at 4:03.8, it began falling and tumbling.

That the drone didn't immediately lose altitude when the first signs of a problem occurred, shows that the propellers and motors were all working (to some degree) at this time.
There's not enough data to point to an obvious cause for the incident..
My best guess is that the problem was a progressive issue with a motor or prop slowly getting worse and suddenly becoming more severe.  

While the drone was falling, I could see the message on the RC screen: motor blocked. I couldn't do anything at all because the controls didn't respond.
The first of these messages only showed at 4:14 - only one second before the drone hit the ground
It might have been triggered by the drone coming down through trees?

The motor cannot turn. Check if est.; Engine stuck. Check if there are objects blocking the motor or contact DJI Assistance
The others were after the drone had crashed.

The drone has suffered serious damage: broken propellers, two broken arms, broken gimbal, damaged body, etc.
Were all propellers close to the drone when you found it?
The damage to the propellers might help reveal the cause of the incident.
Had they ever hit anything in a previous flight?

2023-3-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Any recorded video of the flight?
2023-3-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the incident that happened on your unit. We highly recommend sending the damaged unit for us to perform diagnostics and repair for your unit. You may contact our team at https://www.dji.com/support for us to help you send the unit to us. Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your kind and understanding.
2023-3-3
Use props
ICL1983
lvl.1
Spain

Labroides Posted at 3-3 15:09
The drone was working perfectly, at one point I started to turn the drone to take a photo from another perspective and I observed on the RC screen how the camera image blurred while it slowed down, occurring twice in a time interval of 5 seconds.

After that, when I tried to bring it to my position, the drone suddenly began to fall steeply as the drone rotated on itself, until it finally crashed into the ground.

Thanks so much for your reply,

I attached the link with some photos;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D52RYzRoEUZMJzNWyOYviCPaIIkQN8_Q/view?usp=sharing
2023-3-4
Use props
ICL1983
lvl.1
Spain

Bashy Posted at 3-3 15:20
Any recorded video of the flight?

No sorry,

I was only taking photos.
2023-3-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

ICL1983 Posted at 3-4 00:07
Thanks so much for your reply,

I attached the link with some photos;

Were all propeller blades or parts of blades found ... or were some parts missing?
I'm curious about whether anything came off in the air before the crash.

One of the front left prop screws is missing in the photo.
That's not something I'd expect to come off in a crash.  ???
2023-3-4
Use props
ICL1983
lvl.1
Spain

Labroides Posted at 3-4 00:21
Were all propeller blades or parts of blades found ... or were some parts missing?
I'm curious about whether anything came off in the air before the crash.

I was looking in the impact zone and I only found the camera lens protector.
After seeing the loss of a complete propeller, I checked the screws and they were perfectly tight.My drone is new and it barely has six hours of flight time
Perhaps it was lost when it hit the ground, considering that it began to fall from 100 meters high.
2023-3-4
Use props
ICL1983
lvl.1
Spain

DJI Paladin Posted at 3-3 17:47
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the incident that happened on your unit. We highly recommend sending the damaged unit for us to perform diagnostics and repair for your unit. You may contact our team at https://www.dji.com/support for us to help you send the unit to us. Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your kind and understanding.

Thanks I'm on it
2023-3-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

With regards to the 'missing ' screw of the front left motor, is the entire screw missing i.e. has it come out of the screw hole, or is the screw's thread still in the screw hole i.e. did the screw's head come off?  
A close up, in focus, photo of that motor and the screw hole might be a good idea.
2023-3-4
Use props
ICL1983
lvl.1
Spain

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 3-4 07:55
With regards to the 'missing ' screw of the front left motor, is the entire screw missing i.e. has it come out of the screw hole, or is the the screw's thread still in the screw hole i.e. did the screw's head come off?  
A close up, in focus photo of that motor and the screw hole might be a good idea.

The screw came out of the thread.
The thread is in good condition because I have tried to screw in a new one and it works well
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vl8rMtfdioYIZZf3j1iO_oW4bnetm9e1/view?usp=sharing
2023-3-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hmmm, that's a pity.
It probably leaves this entirely in DJI's hands as to whether they consider the screw coming out as a warranty fault.
2023-3-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

ICL1983 Posted at 3-4 09:25
The screw came out of the thread.
The thread is in good condition because I have tried to screw in a new one and it works well
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vl8rMtfdioYIZZf3j1iO_oW4bnetm9e1/view?usp=sharing

If the screw was missing, that's not something that would be likely to come out in a crash
If it came out during flight, that sounds like it was the cause of your crash.

2023-3-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 3-4 10:19
Hmmm, that's a pity.
It probably leaves this entirely in DJI's hands as to whether they consider the screw coming out as a warranty fault.

It could go either way, they might say that its the pilots fault cause either it was a pilot added prop or pilot failed to check them, tough call cause I've seen DJI come through at times when you wouldnt think they would and then other times they fight you every step of the way.
2023-3-4
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Falls in the category of stuff happens.  No fault of the pilot, but everything mechanical can fail.  
2023-3-4
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

ICL1983 Posted at 3-4 01:08
Thanks I'm on it

You are most welcome. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-3-4
Use props
ICL1983
lvl.1
Spain

I am a beginner and that is why I wanted to share my case with you.
I am completely sure that the accident was not caused by my fault.
The loss of a propeller during the flight, as I have read in your answers, is a probability. I have not changed any propeller yet and the rest of the screws were correctly tightened.
I don't know if this type of accident is covered by the warranty. Fortunately, I am calm because I have DJI care refresh for two years.
When I receive the answer from the DJI technical service, I will share it with you.
Thank you very much to everyone for your opinions.
2023-3-5
Use props
Zoooom
lvl.4

Australia

Happened to me. Only, I had the video going. Drone went 90 degree attitude and flew sideways, and crashed from 78m. They admitted fault. They gave me either a used, crashed drone, or my own one back. Get a black marker and put marks on the inner struts. :-)   The only fault I have managed to find with the rebirthed drone, is a tendency to point in the wrong direction, at the start of RTH. Then it fixes.
2023-3-5
Use props
ICL1983
lvl.1
Spain

Zoooom Posted at 3-5 06:52
Happened to me. Only, I had the video going. Drone went 90 degree attitude and flew sideways, and crashed from 78m. They admitted fault. They gave me either a used, crashed drone, or my own one back. Get a black marker and put marks on the inner struts. :-)   The only fault I have managed to find with the rebirthed drone, is a tendency to point in the wrong direction, at the start of RTH. Then it fixes.

Thanks for the information.
2023-3-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

ICL1983 Posted at 3-5 00:22
I am a beginner and that is why I wanted to share my case with you.
I am completely sure that the accident was not caused by my fault.
The loss of a propeller during the flight, as I have read in your answers, is a probability. I have not changed any propeller yet and the rest of the screws were correctly tightened.

Hi there, we notice that your case is under processing. If there is any progress, you will receive an email update. If you have any inquiries about your case, please feel free to contact us.
2023-3-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Zoooom Posted at 3-5 06:52
Happened to me. Only, I had the video going. Drone went 90 degree attitude and flew sideways, and crashed from 78m. They admitted fault. They gave me either a used, crashed drone, or my own one back. Get a black marker and put marks on the inner struts. :-)   The only fault I have managed to find with the rebirthed drone, is a tendency to point in the wrong direction, at the start of RTH. Then it fixes.

Hi there, thanks for sharing your experience here. May I ask if the drone is working properly now? If there is any issue, please let us know.
2023-3-6
Use props
Zoooom
lvl.4

Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-6 00:52
Hi there, thanks for sharing your experience here. May I ask if the drone is working properly now? If there is any issue, please let us know.

Thanks for asking, Mindy. The drone is working at the moment, but you never know what's going to happen next. Kind of exciting!!
2023-3-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Zoooom Posted at 3-6 07:02
Thanks for asking, Mindy. The drone is working at the moment, but you never know what's going to happen next. Kind of exciting!!

Thanks for the confirmation. Hope it also works well in the future. Happy flying!
2023-3-7
Use props
Drey. I
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1757375 ft
  • >>>
United States

That’s so sad….
2023-3-10
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good luck getting a positive outcome and resolution from DJI. I have two say my Mini 3 had a short flyaway shortly after take off and sustained damaged. 100% NOT user error and after raising support ticket to DJI it was sent off for repair assessment. Fortunately in my case it was repaired under warranty and was shipped back to me. I've lost a little faith in using the Mini 3 but  DJI customer service defo gone up in my estimation. Good luck buddy
2023-3-18
Use props
ICL1983
lvl.1
Spain

Hello everyone, here I am again to tell you the resolution of the case.
I received an email that told me the following:
Remark: NO WARRANTY: Physical damage. No liquid damage. Gimbal Pitch Axis Arm damaged. Aircraft Upper Cover Module damaged. Front Left Aircraft Arm damaged. Rear Right Aircraft Arm damaged.
WARRANTY: Intelligent Flight Battery replacement. After repair/replacement, faulty unit or parts will not be returned. To provide you with a better after-sales service experience, 50% discount of the repair service fee has been offered for you in this quotation.
Dear customer, this quotation 【€78.46 is a normal repair cost】, you can click the "Pay" button to pay for the normal repair cost. If you would like to use your 【Dji Care Refresh】service, please choose the 【Use Care Refresh 】option.

The answer made me angry and I decided to use Dji Care Refresh because I didn't want to repair my drone considering the height of the fall and the damage it had.
When I was calmer, I contacted the technical service via chat in order to find out if they had analyzed my flight log and if they had read my email. Then the operator told me that I had not attached the flight log and I showed her the receipt for having sent the email with all the data.
I insisted that they at least review the flight log to find out the causes of the accident and they told me that it could no longer be because I had made the payment.
So I expressed my discomfort and the operator offered me a coupon to buy any accessory from the official store for a maximum amount of €70 and free shipping. In the end I decided on an Intelligent Flight Battery.( I received it the next day)

In summary:
On the one hand I am not happy because I have not received an answer about the reason for the accident, thanks to members of the forum I can have a hypothesis (loss of a propeller). I want to think that it was possibly a misunderstanding.
On the other hand, I am happy with the solution offered and the continuous monitoring of my case. I have received several emails. The 50% discount on the repair estimate seemed really good to me. I have received a new and sealed DJI MINI 3 PRO.
Honestly I am pleasantly surprised.
2023-3-21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Do you still have the flight logs INCLUDING the DAT from the screen device?  It possibly has the name 2023-02-28_18-05-18_FLY023.DAT.

Slup, over on MavicPilots has shown that the DAT from, presumably, the Mini 3 Pro's screen device is readable, see post #15 etc.  in
https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... water-today.136006/
and I have just processed the DAT from that thread with CsvView and got the motor speeds graph.

I am pretty sure the quoted speeds are wrong, they are FAR too low IMO, but it is possible that the actual plots themselves will show one motor speed spiking.

2023-3-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

ICL1983 Posted at 3-21 03:52
Hello everyone, here I am again to tell you the resolution of the case.
I received an email that told me the following:
Remark: NO WARRANTY: Physical damage. No liquid damage. Gimbal Pitch Axis Arm damaged. Aircraft Upper Cover Module damaged. Front Left Aircraft Arm damaged. Rear Right Aircraft Arm damaged.

Hi there, we are sorry for the inconvenience caused. We will forward your feedback to the corresponding team and keep improving our service in the future. Should you have any further inquiries, please feel free to contact us. Thanks for your understanding.
2023-3-21
Use props
ICL1983
lvl.1
Spain

CONNOR COUTO Posted at 3-21 04:47
Me alegra mucho .Saludos

Gracias
2023-3-22
Use props
Advanced