11809 326 2023-3-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Well, I had it twice - Total disobedience of Avata - thow not after the crash but just by flying over water and I have contacted the support and after a few weeks of questioning - received the final verdict - Pilot error flying over water   on my question of Why Avata is not doing what I command - No answer - so I continue loving it and use it extensively but have it in my mind that whenever confused Avata has mind of her own and is NOT listening to Any command from RC

Here are two clips I made with RC Input And Avata behavior

DJI will never admit there's a problem - but the good part is it never happened to me again

2023-3-5
Use props
Luca Rubino
Second Officer
Flight distance : 711512 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Blériot53 Posted at 3-5 02:27
Has it not occured to you that the impact with the ground may have been severe enough to cause a defect in the drone ( temporary or otherwise) which could have interrupted communication between the drone and the controller? That's not a design fault it's the consequence of pilot error i.e. crashing the drone.

If a drone lose signal, DISARM automatically.
Rule number 1 of drones world.
Rule number 1 of FPV drones
Rule number 2398394812394 of Mavic pilots.

And this is the proof you don't fly FPV.
Because Betaflight disarm immedially your drone when you lose RC signal.
As I say, you dont know FPV world.

2023-3-5
Use props
Luca Rubino
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

alex_markov Posted at 3-5 02:29
Well, I had it twice - Total disobedience of Avata - thow not after the crash but just by flying over water and I have contacted the support and after a few weeks of questioning - received the final verdict - Pilot error flying over water    on my question of Why Avata is not doing what I command - No answer - so I continue loving it and use it extensively but have it in my mind that whenever confused Avata has mind of her own and is NOT listening to Any command from RC

This is a dangerous bug.
I think if your Avata flew off and fell a few feet from people, you would fly with less smile on your face.
I'd rather lose the drone, lose 580 euros, than hit a person, both for the person himself and for the subsequent legal consequences.
And flew 150 meters from people as the law requires me. But if the drone flies 200 meters away from me without my control, it doesn't make me calm
Think the height limit was 45 meters in that area. I was flying at 3/4 meters. Totally legal. Alone he reached over 70 meters. Dangerous thing.
2023-3-5
Use props
Luca Rubino
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

Has it not occured to you that the impact with the ground may have been severe enough to cause a defect in the drone ( temporary or otherwise) which could have interrupted communication between the drone and the controller? That's not a design fault it's the consequence of pilot error i.e. crashing the drone.

And FYI, I never lose RC signal.
This is what Flight Data says.
2023-3-5
Use props
Luca Rubino
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

DJI Wanda Posted at 3-4 23:18
Hello, Luca. Sorry for the inconvenience. May we know if you contacted our support and applied for data analysis?
If you have any questions about the aircraft, please feel free to contact us.
Here is the link: https://www.dji.com/support/repair?from=store_footer

I don't know how to contact you.
In your link, I could request a repair service, flyaway refund or replacement service. None of them suite this case.
I have to report this case as bug. Sharing with you my datas to be analyzed
2023-3-5
Use props
djiuser_oF6L4g3TjIAF
lvl.4
United States

I believe auto pilot without any control is a great feature but they should have put it in the manual it's happened to me 3 times I would not advise anyone to buy this drone very unsafe , if my car were to go in reverse at 100 mile an hour uncontrollable I would think that it would be a Major defect and it would be recalled
2023-3-5
Use props
Luca Rubino
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

djiuser_oF6L4g3TjIAF Posted at 3-5 03:51
I believe auto pilot without any control is a great feature but they should have put it in the manual it's happened to me 3 times I would not advise anyone to buy this drone very unsafe , if my car were to go in reverse at 100 mile an hour uncontrollable I would think that it would be a Major defect and it would be recalled

I agree with you.
Human control must always override auto controls.
If I command my drone to disarm, set normal mode, brake or cut out the gas... it must obey to me.
Since yesterday, me too. I don't advise this drone anymore.
2023-3-5
Use props
fansdff4d711
lvl.3
Germany

Wow, what a thread! To be honest, I am a little confused about the point of view of some forum members. How can you claim user error in an incident like this?
If I crash my Tesla into a curb and it subsequently switches to autonomous mode and clears an entire intersection, is that my fault?
And it doesn't even have to be an unintentional mistake. Let's say I suddenly notice a child running into my flight path and I deliberately crash the copter. Due to the error pattern shown, the copter then makes itself independent and injures the child. Is that supposed to be my fault? I am pretty sure that something like this will be evaluated differently in a court of law and DJI will be held responsible.
But the worst thing I find are these super stupid statements of DJI employees here in the forum who treat this and other known problems as if they were hearing about it for the first time.
2023-3-5
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

I doubt some comments here come from pilots... really in those situation you would call this drone response pilot errors? some actions might give drone sensors strange readings (like fly close over water), but reaction to them is pretty bad IMHO.
I agree it's a dangerous bug - can You share logs so we can see what happening in drone software as it reacts so #@$#@$. maybe after hit it got bad reading of altitude and try to correct it, or initiate some RTH/failsafes.

2023-3-5
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

alex_markov Posted at 3-5 02:29
Well, I had it twice - Total disobedience of Avata - thow not after the crash but just by flying over water and I have contacted the support and after a few weeks of questioning - received the final verdict - Pilot error flying over water    on my question of Why Avata is not doing what I command - No answer - so I continue loving it and use it extensively but have it in my mind that whenever confused Avata has mind of her own and is NOT listening to Any command from RC

Hi, there. We have double-checked your problem and here are the details from our relevant team:

The root cause of the incident was too close to the water, after checking the video you sent back, we found the aircraft drifted in the direction of the water flow. The Vision System was working, but when the aircraft fly too close to the surface of the water, and performance of the Vision System would be affected by the surface of the water. The barometer or the compass could also have interfered when the aircraft was flying close to the water, especially when the aircraft worked under Sport mode and its maximum speed was significantly increased in this case, which might cause the aircraft not to hold its place perfectly.

Before the flight record ended, the aircraft looks already to keeping a distance from the surface of the water, but the fusion has deflected before, as such, it drifted in the direction of the water flow and crashed in the end.

If you have any problems or concerns, you can tell us here, we will double check it and reply to you here.

Thank you for your understanding in advance.
2023-3-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Luca Rubino Posted at 3-4 22:27
Define home-built FPV.
Because there are a lot of RTF or BNF drones out there. They are not home-built. Why for DJI fan, FPV are all home-built drones? It's not true.
Cetus drones are home-built drones? And none of these drones lose control and you have no chance to disarm them. Never!

I repeat, if your car goes crazy after a pothole, is it the driver's fault? If you release accelerator pedal, and your car gain speed, is it your fault?

If you are at the control of the vehicle you will be held legally responsible regardless of whether it was your fault or the fault of the car manufacturer.  Can't argue fair or not but nonetheless it is the law.  You take full responsibility when you become the operator, whether a car or a drone.  
2023-3-5
Use props
MoppelMat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 139167 ft
Austria

If a fault in the drone (that this is clearly not, because it flies fine afterwards - as you can see by the numerous videos showing this error), leads to a WILD fly away JUST SOMEWHERE this is still wrong.
If the drone detects an error and that it is no longer controllable, it needs to SHUT DOWN not SPIN UP the motors.

@DJI Team: Suggestion of change:
If in Manual mode (left 3 toggle switch in manual mode) AND right 3 toggle switch in arming position --> then ARM in Manual Mode

If right toggle switch changes in that configuration to DISARM --> then DISARM the drone.
It does not matter if the "autopilot" enganged, the drone subsequentially switched to normal mode and tries to safe itself (came with last update in 01.2023).
If the conditions from the top are still valid AND the pilot switches to DISARM --> JUST DISARM the drone, no further questions. You may introduce a check if "normal mode" was NOT switched by the user but by the "autopilot".

@Blériot53 you are just trolling, please go away
2023-3-5
Use props
eighties.fpv
lvl.3
Germany

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-5 06:31
I repeat, if your car goes crazy after a pothole, is it the driver's fault? If you release accelerator pedal, and your car gain speed, is it your fault?

If you are at the control of the vehicle you will be held legally responsible regardless of whether it was your fault or the fault of the car manufacturer.  Can't argue fair or not but nonetheless it is the law.  You take full responsibility when you become the operator, whether a car or a drone.

Unfortunately I cannot agree with that. Of course I am legally responsible if I use assistance systems, not paying attention as a driver which this results in an accident. But if I am deprived of complete control of the vehicle and an accident results, no court in the western world will hold me responsible.
2023-3-5
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Luca Rubino Posted at 3-4 10:45
Here another case.
After hitting something, bye bye control. PS: He is using Motion Control! And it's IMPOSSIBLE to fly backward!
Now I wanna still hear "Oh it's a pilot error"

I have clipped trees around my property many times it's inevitable when flying at speed and never had loss of control. I have even clipped the ground a handful of times and had no issues.
2023-3-5
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MoppelMat Posted at 3-5 07:15
If a fault in the drone (that this is clearly not, because it flies fine afterwards - as you can see by the numerous videos showing this error), leads to a WILD fly away JUST SOMEWHERE this is still wrong.
If the drone detects an error and that it is no longer controllable, it needs to SHUT DOWN not SPIN UP the motors.

If expressing a difference of opinion could be defined as "trolling" then many forum threads would fall under that definition.  Just because you don't agree isn't grounds for your observation.
And, by the way. @MoppelMat only alerts the correspondent by prior agreement between the two parties.
Just for your information.  So let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that.
2023-3-5
Use props
celltx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7399311 ft

Israel

Visual Air Posted at 3-5 08:06
I have clipped trees around my property many times it's inevitable when flying at speed and never had loss of control. I have even clipped the ground a handful of times and had no issues.

Me too have crashed many times. All, but two times, the remote kept full control. But in two cases, the drone flew away by its own.  Go figure why, let's call it statistics.
2023-3-5
Use props
Xviews
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229255 ft
Germany

Also have many crashes, never had control loss. I think you should also calibrate everything, I heard that many of the problems with a full calibration was gone
2023-3-5
Use props
Luca Rubino
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

Xviews Posted at 3-5 09:46
Also have many crashes, never had control loss. I think you should also calibrate everything, I heard that many of the problems with a full calibration was gone

I always calibrate everything before flying.
I'm finding many other users that have experienced this bug.
This is the third time it happen to me.
Once in an house trying real estate movement. When I landed manually, it bounced once and it went up to the ceiling alone. Another time, against a branch, and it was blocked by it. Motors started to spinning also if throttle was down and no way to disarm.
Yesterday was very scary because flow and fell close to people.
2023-3-5
Use props
Luca Rubino
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

It is not true.
There are already cases, with Toyota, Audi and other cases, that companies have been ordered to pay for the deaths of drivers of their cars due to their defects
2023-3-5
Use props
Luca Rubino
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

Don't you remember?
Manufacturers are responsible for their defected products.
And... Unintended acceleration... don't you remember something?  
https://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/t ... n/story?id=22972214

2023-3-5
Use props
Luca Rubino
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

fansdff4d711 Posted at 3-5 05:06
Wow, what a thread! To be honest, I am a little confused about the point of view of some forum members. How can you claim user error in an incident like this?
If I crash my Tesla into a curb and it subsequently switches to autonomous mode and clears an entire intersection, is that my fault?
And it doesn't even have to be an unintentional mistake. Let's say I suddenly notice a child running into my flight path and I deliberately crash the copter. Due to the error pattern shown, the copter then makes itself independent and injures the child. Is that supposed to be my fault? I am pretty sure that something like this will be evaluated differently in a court of law and DJI will be held responsible.

I totally agree with you.
Yesterday I was flying 150 meters from people, in a maximum height area of 45 meters. With a cinewhoop so you're always at 3/4 meters maximum. So I had taken all the precautions to fly safely and legally. The drone, by his will, got up to a height of about 70 meters (dangerous and illegal in that area) and crashed 5 meters from a group of people, from whom I was at a safe distance and did not fly around.
Just because I bounce to the ground. And it's not with inertia that he did what he did. In that case it would be my fault.
2023-3-5
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 3-5 06:15
Hi, there. We have double-checked your problem and here are the details from our relevant team:

The root cause of the incident was too close to the water, after checking the video you sent back, we found the aircraft drifted in the direction of the water flow. The Vision System was working, but when the aircraft fly too close to the surface of the water, and performance of the Vision System would be affected by the surface of the water. The barometer or the compass could also have interfered when the aircraft was flying close to the water, especially when the aircraft worked under Sport mode and its maximum speed was significantly increased in this case, which might cause the aircraft not to hold its place perfectly.

Dear Natalia, I know the vision system is affected by moving water but the question was Why did Avata fly by herself in the opposite direction of my stick input? Never mind! I do not want to argue I accept ït's my fault flying overwater" answer
2023-3-5
Use props
RiChaDo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3085075 ft
Netherlands

I had the same thing but no footage because when I lost control when hitting a branch it was drifting to a tree then battery came off...
2023-3-5
Use props
Luca Rubino
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

RiChaDo Posted at 3-5 10:46
I had the same thing but no footage because when I lost control when hitting a branch it was drifting to a tree then battery came off...

There are too many cases.
I spoke to other users today, and many of them have had the same experience.
There are those who are luckier because they are miles from everything, or like me, who has flown 200 meters away to fall close to people.
Although there are a couple of people here who keep saying it's only the pilots fault (it happened to professional and experienced pilots too). And they get angry if someone labels them as troll.
2023-3-5
Use props
MAF178
Second Officer
  • >>>
Kuwait

i flown the avata without mercy and reached more than 2km with it in manual mode .. no problems at all even flying over water

sure its pilot mistake

the avata wont fall from the sky unless the battery is de-attached   

2023-3-5
Use props
MoppelMat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 139167 ft
Austria

MAF178 Posted at 3-5 11:02
i flown the avata without mercy and reached more than 2km with it in manual mode .. no problems at all even flying over water

It does not happen for me, so it must be all the other people's fault. sure bro
2023-3-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

eighties.fpv Posted at 3-5 07:31
Unfortunately I cannot agree with that. Of course I am legally responsible if I use assistance systems, not paying attention as a driver which this results in an accident. But if I am deprived of complete control of the vehicle and an accident results, no court in the western world will hold me responsible.

Deprived of control is a mitigating circumstance but does not relieve you of being responsible as the driver of said vehicle.  If you had a law degree you would be aware of this fact.   
2023-3-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Luca Rubino Posted at 3-5 09:56
It is not true.
There are already cases, with Toyota, Audi and other cases, that companies have been ordered to pay for the deaths of drivers of their cars due to their defects

Could be true in your country.  However, in the US both the driver and the manufacturer have been sued and lost for exactly what you described.  

We can just agree to disagree and no need to continue any back and forth.

Hope you have better flying days and no more incidents.  
2023-3-5
Use props
MAF178
Second Officer
  • >>>
Kuwait

MoppelMat Posted at 3-5 11:58
It does not happen for me, so it must be all the other people's fault. sure bro

Austria you talk bigger than your size .. my videos are here every where .. i can confirm that the avata is very stable drone .
2023-3-5
Use props
eighties.fpv
lvl.3
Germany

I was just wondering how many DJI employees are posing as regular forum members here. The point of view of some comments is so abstruse that it can't possibly come from normal users.
2023-3-5
Use props
Mads Tech
First Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I stated months ago that the Avata has a serious issue where it ignored pilot input in the event of a crash randomly.  I posted about this on the Yaw issue video I shared and showed it when mine when crazy and headed off after hitting the ground.  

It’s with out doubt imo that there is something in the Avata code that lockups up in certain circumstances and ignores pilot input.   DJI don’t remotely have the years of experience that BF devs have with Acro mode and I think there is something bad in the stack.   
2023-3-5
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59121 ft
Netherlands

I have posted this in other topics about this, and i will do it here.

once upon a time, drones (diy and rtf ) had the same FC error when hitting something, mostly the ground when trying to land, but landing with some forward/backward of sidewards speed would result in the FC freaking out, and flipping the drone. Sometimes it would go haywire full throttle.
In that case, you flipped the switch on your remot to DISARM, and the drone would disarm and just "fall to the ground".

The problem there was, the sensor input to the FC would go into a value the FC could not handle due to the shock.
Later on, this bug was fixed. It also sometimes had to do with a badly tuned FC.

This bug seems the same in the avata BUT with one important difference: the avata does NOT RESPOND to any input from the RC.
There are a lot of video's showing this, avata flies away, does not respond, crashes but keeps going at it at full throttle, NOTHING stops the avata other than pulling the battery out.

this is NOT how  a drone should behave, FPV or non-FPV.

That the FC goes haywire is a but that should not be there, but in that case the drone should ALWAYS "listen" to the RC inputs.... always.

Saying this is normal for a drone to do on "impact" is just nuts and makes me think that person has no experience with drones whatsoever.
2023-3-6
Use props
MAF178
Second Officer
  • >>>
Kuwait

I think DJI should make a rank for every pilot to know if the pilot is newbie or proffisional .. then things will be clear

this thread is all about a kid who feels hard for spending few Dollars instead of buying a cheese burger

2023-3-6
Use props
Luca Rubino
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

MAF178 Posted at 3-6 02:02
I think DJI should make a rank for every pilot to know if the pilot is newbie or proffisional .. then things will be clear

And some users, in order to convince themselves that they have spent their money, justify DJI how shamelessly it is failing
2023-3-6
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Luca Rubino Posted at 3-5 03:36
I don't know how to contact you.
In your link, I could request a repair service, flyaway refund or replacement service. None of them suite this case.
I have to report this case as bug. Sharing with you my datas to be analyzed

I mean, you can contact our online chat support or email support to apply for data analysis or export the data for us to analyze the issue.
2023-3-6
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59121 ft
Netherlands

on other forums we call users that reply like this, fanboys

the brand can't do anything wrong, and all is user error.

i got news for you, this is NOT user error, saying it is makes it clear you do not know what you are talking about, OR.... you are a fanboy
2023-3-6
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 3-5 08:37
If expressing a difference of opinion could be defined as "trolling" then many forum threads would fall under that definition.  Just because you don't agree isn't grounds for your observation.
And, by the way. @MoppelMat only alerts the correspondent by prior agreement between the two parties.
Just for your information.  So let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

im with you and gave you a tu.  seems there are a lot of thin skin folks in this forum and if you don't agree with them, you're a "troll."  even if you say "we agree to disagree" you still get a td because you are against fixing a [non] issue.  that's where the name-calling comes in with the fanboy description and what not.  i guess the avata is the most dangerous drone on the market but that's strange because the mini 3 pro was the most dangerous last year and the mavic 3 was the most dangerous the year before.  
2023-3-6
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 3-6 08:36
im with you and gave you a tu.  seems there are a lot of thin skin folks in this forum and if you don't agree with them, you're a "troll."  even if you say "we agree to disagree" you still get a td because you are against fixing a [non] issue.  that's where the name-calling comes in with the fanboy description and what not.  i guess the avata is the most dangerous drone on the market but that's strange because the mini 3 pro was the most dangerous last year and the mavic 3 was the most dangerous the year before.

Thanks for your observations.  Appreciated
I agree it's rather sad that those who wish to perpetrate their outrageous claims and accusations are the ones least able or willing to accept criticism, and bleat the loudest when anyone points out the flaws in their argument. They're never wrong, of course.
ANY drone is dangerous in the hands of the incompetent, and of those with an over-inflated opinion of their abilities. And a refusal to accept responsibility should something go wrong just compounds the issue.
Name-calling and insults are water off a duck's back to me. I'm too long in the tooth and too thick-skinned to give a damn
After all:   "Insults are the last resort of insecure people with a crumbling position trying to appear confident."
Have a nice day
2023-3-6
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can get a rough idea from an individual's published flight distance, and DJI award a "Rank".
The latter however is only an indication of how many posts and/or replies to the forum the individual has made.
2023-3-6
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44957 ft
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 3-6 09:18
You can get a rough idea from an individual's published flight distance, and DJI award a "Rank".
The latter however is only an indication of how many posts and/or replies to the forum the individual has made.

Flight distance is by far flawed to decide if a guy is a PILOT or just a recreational flier taking bird photos.

I have no idea what DJI uses to track flying distance. For example, I have put tons of miles between my 6 DJI drones, but it seems like it only records my Phantom 4 Pro flight distance, which I am not flying that much lately. I also have 4 other drones using Betaflight and flying Acro, which most DJI pilots have no idea about. Anyone who only flies with DJI drones, with all the technology helping them actually fly, would crash within the first 5 seconds of flying a drone by themselves without GPS, Compass, sensors and all DJI programing.
DJI made a success exactly by making it possible for any newbie to fly.
2023-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules