Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sharp
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3571634 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hi all.

For a few months now I've been developing an app that allows you fly any drone that has a video output via HDMI or analog with a Virtual Reality headset.

This app is a native full Virtual Reality app that runs in a mixed reality mode (full passthrough), so while wearing the headset you can still see the real world around you perfectly. In front of you 3 meters away is a 3 meter screen floating in mid air in the real world. This app supports full 6DOF tracking too so you can walk right up to the screen or step back, which ever suites your viewing. The screen stays in the same position so you can freely look around you and see the real world around you, talk to people and so on without the screen blocking your view of the real world. You set where you want the screen to be, and it remains there.

Anyway... let me know what you think. What could be some handy features or if you have any feedback at all.

2023-3-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's a shame you didnt film the view from inside the headset.  
2023-3-5
Use props
Sharp
lvl.3
  • >>>
Ireland

Yes, sorry about that. Oculus don’t allow anyone to record pass-through (the real world) directly on the headset. There are some hacks to capture pass-through, but I’d have to be connected to a laptop computer to do that, which I can’t do since I need to use the USB port for the video input signal. .

I think the best option will be to create a composite using 3D tracking to demonstrate what it looks like. Although that would be faking it, would actually be the perfect representation of exactly what I am seeing.

Thanks.
2023-3-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Quite the useful App that you are developing.    Keep up the great work Sharp.
2023-3-5
Use props
Sharp
lvl.3
  • >>>
Ireland

Here’s a short follow-up video regarding what it would have looked like through the Virtual Reality headset when I was flying. Basically there’s a colour 3 meter wide screen hovering in the air, and the world around me was in black in white because I used a Quest 1 headset. It would be black and white for a Quest 2 also, but Colour for a Quest Pro.

2023-3-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules