CPL/ND polarizers to help focus issues?
374 5 2023-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Yesterday, I was visiting our local pinball arcade in order to interview an employee there and take pictures for a small culture leaflet me and my friends are making. So I took the Pocket 2 with me, intending to take photographs of the pinball machines. However, it seems like the pictures were constantly out of focus, no matter whether I used single or continuous autofocus. The employee said she had encountered the same problem when trying to photograph the machines herself, suspecting the focus issues were caused by the reflections coming on the surfaces of the score displays and the cover glasses of the tables.

That caught me wondering how to possibly solve the problem in the future. I'll have to say I have no idea what is the basis of the functionality of the focusing, I don't know how the camera decides how to apply the focus and what elements does it use to make the decision. But I was wondering: would I have been able to focus the photos correctly, if I had put a polarized lens on the Pocket 2 and adjusted it the right way (either using a CPL or polarized ND filter, or possibly something else)? Would this eliminate the reflections in a way that would have helped to focus the camera the correct way? Or does the polarization have any effect on the camera's process of defining the focus point?

Thanks in advance for all the replies and sorry if this is a stupid question. I admit that my knowledge of the subject could be better.

2023-3-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Well, the P2's focus works based on contrast detection. So the distance that will get most contrasty results (usually sharp edges) will be the one it chooses to use for its autofocus.
In theory, reflections will confuse this, but I would not consider the P2 for this and if I had to : use the app so you can at least check the focus.
2023-3-5
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Montfrooij Posted at 3-5 09:58
Well, the P2's focus works based on contrast detection. So the distance that will get most contrasty results (usually sharp edges) will be the one it chooses to use for its autofocus.
In theory, reflections will confuse this, but I would not consider the P2 for this and if I had to : use the app so you can at least check the focus.

I see. Thanks for your information and contribution on the topic. I do realize that the Pocket 2 is not primarily a still camera but for video, but thought out it could have done this. Oh well, it's not the end of the world as I will have appropriate photos from other sources.
2023-3-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

HGDC84 Posted at 3-5 13:10
I see. Thanks for your information and contribution on the topic. I do realize that the Pocket 2 is not primarily a still camera but for video, but thought out it could have done this. Oh well, it's not the end of the world as I will have appropriate photos from other sources.

Yeah, I have to admit I tried to use the P2 for stills too, but was not impressed.
I'm spoiled with my DSLR, but still (pun intended) I find the P2 not too handy for stills.
Especially the focus part.
It seems to be designed with video in mind mainly.
2023-3-5
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Montfrooij Posted at 3-5 23:43
Yeah, I have to admit I tried to use the P2 for stills too, but was not impressed.
I'm spoiled with my DSLR, but still (pun intended) I find the P2 not too handy for stills.
Especially the focus part.

Yeah, I think so too and that's why I'm not too disappointed in it. Also, I do also have a camera more primarily intended for photography (somewhat old though), so I guess I will use that more when attempting to take pictures for the leaflet.

Also, a great spot for a pun
2023-3-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

HGDC84 Posted at 3-6 09:18
Yeah, I think so too and that's why I'm not too disappointed in it. Also, I do also have a camera more primarily intended for photography (somewhat old though), so I guess I will use that more when attempting to take pictures for the leaflet.

Also, a great spot for a pun

Yeah exactly. Mine is quite old too btw.
2023-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules