[DJI FPV] Terrible video quality when exporting from Premiere Pro
3228 26 2023-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_CChsgLTO0qfz
lvl.1
Netherlands

Hey there fellow pilots!
I just got my DJI FPV extremely recently and I decided to shoot some footage with it. I checked it out right after and absolutely loved the 4k 60fps quality of the footage, but I decided to shoot in D-Cinelike after that, as I am a videographer and I would like to be able to grade my footage better.

When I opened it up in Premiere Pro and graded the footage however, I noticed after exporting that I lost a lot, and I mean a LOT of quality compared to the original footage. My goal was to downscale the 4k footage to 1920x1080 full hd, however I noticed that when I tried to export it in 4k I lost a lot of quality even then.

Does anyone know any solutions to this problem? I've searched for a solution on the forums and on Youtube but I really can't find one anywhere.

My appreciation in advance
2023-3-7
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI Pilots here about the said 3rd party application. Should you have other inquiries about the product, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you.
2023-3-7
Use props
Guusr
lvl.1
Netherlands

DJI Paladin Posted at 3-7 20:18
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI Pilots here about the said 3rd party application. Should you have other inquiries about the product, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you.

Well actually I haven't really received any help or replies on this yet except yours right now, but thanks I'll keep hoping someone has the answer I'm looking for.
2023-3-8
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Guusr Posted at 3-8 01:57
Well actually I haven't really received any help or replies on this yet except yours right now, but thanks I'll keep hoping someone has the answer I'm looking for.

Someone who has an experience with the said 3rd party application will respond to this thread of yours. My apologies as we cannot provide information since the inquiry is about 3rd party software. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-3-9
Use props
Guusr
lvl.1
Netherlands

DJI Paladin Posted at 3-9 06:25
Someone who has an experience with the said 3rd party application will respond to this thread of yours. My apologies as we cannot provide information since the inquiry is about 3rd party software. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Not a problem, thanks regardless. I'll keep waiting for a bit until I see someone replying.
2023-3-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Guusr Posted at 3-9 13:37
Not a problem, thanks regardless. I'll keep waiting for a bit until I see someone replying.

You are most welcome. If you have any inquiries or concerns about your unit, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-3-10
Use props
Guusr
lvl.1
Netherlands

An update for anyone possibly following this:

I just downloaded Da Vinci Resolve (the free version) and threw a colorgrade over the same footage and exported it. It looks absolutely great and there's no pixelated or laggy footage whatsoever.

This however still is a problem, because I use Premiere Pro and I have years of experience in that, so this may prove that it's not the footage's fault, but my question still stands on if anyone knows how to export this footage from Premiere Pro with better quality.
2023-3-11
Use props
ValleyForge
lvl.3
Flight distance : 24754 ft
Australia

I've switched my FPV to Cinelike but not exported anything worthwhile yet. But the other 4K exports were exceptional.
Diehard PPro user here BTW.
2023-3-11
Use props
Guusr
lvl.1
Netherlands

ValleyForge Posted at 3-11 20:41
I've switched my FPV to Cinelike but not exported anything worthwhile yet. But the other 4K exports were exceptional.
Diehard PPro user here BTW.

Could you maybe pass your sequence and export settings, a description or a screenshot, onto me? I'd love to try it out because I really hope I'm just doing something wrong..
2023-3-12
Use props
ValleyForge
lvl.3
Australia

Guusr Posted at 3-12 05:07
Could you maybe pass your sequence and export settings, a description or a screenshot, onto me? I'd love to try it out because I really hope I'm just doing something wrong..

I had just culled all the footage - I'll shoot something fresh and make some screenshots.
2023-3-23
Use props
Guusr
lvl.1
Netherlands

ValleyForge Posted at 3-23 02:33
I had just culled all the footage - I'll shoot something fresh and make some screenshots.

Thank you! I'd love that! Keep me posted
2023-3-23
Use props
ValleyForge
lvl.3
Australia

2023-3-24
Use props
ValleyForge
lvl.3
Australia

I'll add a link to some footage soon...
2023-3-24
Use props
ValleyForge
lvl.3
Australia

A storm started blowing in so I lost the light. Film noir look instead @2K.
2023-3-24
Use props
Guusr
lvl.1
Netherlands

ValleyForge Posted at 3-24 22:14
A storm started blowing in so I lost the light. Film noir look instead @2K. FPV PPro Export

Thank you for the effort! Looks like it's good quality for you, I'm gonna try the same settings and I'll let you know how it turned out!
2023-3-25
Use props
Guusr
lvl.1
Netherlands

Hey! I'm sorry. It's been quite a while. I have been very busy with work but I just got to shooting some new fresh footage and editing it with the settings you showed me.

Sadly I have to say my quality still looks quite terrible. I added a video link so you can view it. As you see there is just a lot of color noise and I am so unsure of what's causing it. I've heard that a lot of people put a GoPro on top of their DJI FPV for better footage but I've seen the footage without a GoPro and even that is passable for someone who isn't a high-tech cinematographer.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but this just does not look good and I have no idea how to fix it..

https://youtu.be/PZH8TmcuEVg

2023-4-20
Use props
SeehawerB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5414203 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Which codec do you use for export?
Which video data rate do you export?
Do you have mounted an ND filter to the camera? Your footage looks rather dark.
Which version of Premiere Pro are you using? New or legacy?

I do export my footage in H.264 or H.265 with video bitrate of at least 60 Mbps for 4K resolution.
2023-4-20
Use props
SeehawerB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5414203 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Have you tried uploading to YT without recoding, file coming directly from the SD card?
2023-4-20
Use props
Guusr
lvl.1
Netherlands

SeehawerB Posted at 4-20 21:10
Which codec do you use for export?
Which video data rate do you export?
Do you have mounted an ND filter to the camera? Your footage looks rather dark.

Hey!

I've tried out h.264 and h.265 so far. Also MOV but those give extremely large files.
I've also tried several different mbps, from 15 all the way up to the highest it could go. The higher I went usually the better it got, but the video above was also exported at the highest bitrate possible and as you see it still didn't end up great.

In this video I did indeed have an ND 4 filter from Freewell mounted, though I've also edited the footage a bit as I said.

As stated earlier the DJI log footage looks fine. The problem is that it's log, it's meant to be edited, but as soon as I edit it, the quality becomes terrible for some reason. That shouldnt happen.

As for your next message, I have not tried that yet, but I know that Youtube isn't the issue. The file looks fine directly off of the SD-card. As soon as I export it out of Premiere Pro or DaVinci Resolve with any edit done to it (or even none) it just becomes terrible. I can see that because I've checked my exported video's before I uploaded them onto Youtube and they looked terrible even then.
2023-4-21
Use props
Guusr
lvl.1
Netherlands

Hey guys! Quick update. Yesterday I decided to contact customer support. They recommended that I refreshed the firmware. I did that and now the issue seems to have disappeared!

For anyone who might possibly run into the same issue:

Download the DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series)

Then just plug your drone straight into your desktop and refresh the firmware. Easy peasy!
2023-4-24
Use props
Guusr
lvl.1
Netherlands

Aaaaanother update. I did a secondary test, maybe I just got lucky last time? Because now the quality's down again. Gonna contact customer support and I'll keep you updated..
2023-5-1
Use props
EllinorWilliam
lvl.2

India

One thing to check is the export settings that you are using. Make sure that you are exporting your footage using a high bitrate and that you are using the appropriate codec for your footage. H.264 is a common codec that is used for exporting video, but it can sometimes result in a loss of quality. Another factor to consider is the color space that you are working with. D-Cinelike is a flat color profile that is designed to give you more flexibility in post-production, but it can also make your footage look washed out and desaturated.
2023-5-7
Use props
ValleyForge
lvl.3
Australia

Guusr Posted at 5-1 03:12
Aaaaanother update. I did a secondary test, maybe I just got lucky last time? Because now the quality's down again. Gonna contact customer support and I'll keep you updated..

Sorry about the rather useless repeat suggestions.
I'm scratching my head, but you're not resizing at any stage?
Maybe try posting to Vimeo - join for a free account, upgrade to Professional for free for 7 days I think and you can upload in 4K.
2023-5-9
Use props
mark11111111
lvl.1

India

Hello! Sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with the video quality when exporting your DJI FPV footage from Premiere Pro. It's possible that there may be corruption or damage in the footage that's causing the loss in quality, especially if you're seeing a big difference between the original footage and the exported footage.

One possible solution you could try is using a video repair software like Stellar Repair for Video. This software is designed to fix various types of corruption and damage in video files, such as choppy playback, distorted images, and audio-video sync issues. It may be able to repair any issues with your DJI FPV footage and help you achieve better quality when exporting from Premiere Pro.

Of course, there may be other factors that are affecting the video quality, such as your export settings or compression settings. You could try experimenting with different settings to see if that makes a difference as well.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your video editing.
2023-5-11
Use props
ValleyForge
lvl.3
Australia

Guusr Posted at 5-1 03:12

Maybe try the FB Export preset in Adobe Media Encoder.
I have my own preset library, but I only noticed the other day that there is a dedicated FB one export preset. I tried it and it's pretty low bitrate and a small file but looks surprisingly good on FB.
2023-5-13
Use props
Bugs_LV
lvl.1

Estonia

Guusr Posted at 4-24 11:21
Hey guys! Quick update. Yesterday I decided to contact customer support. They recommended that I refreshed the firmware. I did that and now the issue seems to have disappeared!

For anyone who might possibly run into the same issue:

Hey dude. I'm just about to buy myself a DJI Avata and I'm glad I stumbled upon your comment. Thanks for the advice. After purchase, I will immediately update the firmware. Good luck with your new piece of plastic. I hope that it will serve you for a long time and you will shoot a lot of good material on it. )))
2023-5-24
Use props
Geo_Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Is not about the footage but your settings.
1. Check the ISO in footage...from ISO 400 up you need 1st to denoise it using Neat or Topaz, only after this apply the WB and all corrections.
2. Use CBR instead of VBR. You have a lot of motion, you need to know how VBR works, is great for slow movies but is a disaster for fast action. Also keep FHD at minimum 30 Mbps, 4K at minimum 50Mbps at encoding.
3. Check if the footage is interpreted correctly as LIMITED RGB. DJI have limited range RGB and if your Premiere does not interpret it like this, will burn shadows and highlights at encoding.
4. Use Main profile, 5.2 for FHD or 6.2 for 4K.
Cheers.
2023-5-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules