DoC for RID
1976 11 2023-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
striperseeker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10827 ft
United States

I see that DJI Mavic Air 2S has a DoC on the FAA website for remote ID. Does this mean it is now transmitting as required for compliance with Remote ID and Category 2 Operations of People?

2023-3-7
Use props
jwp721
lvl.3
Flight distance : 332822 ft
United States

ID wise should be good but more to the picture to be deemed a Category 2 drone.   As far as I have seen no drones have been classified as cat 2 yet….

“Category 2, drones can weigh more than 0.55 pounds, but they can’t be capable of causing injury to a human being that is greater than or equal to the severity of an injury caused by transferring 11 foot-pounds of kinetic energy. They also can’t contain any exposed rotating parts that could lacerate human skin”
2023-3-7
Use props
striperseeker
lvl.2
United States

jwp721 Posted at 3-7 12:50
ID wise should be good but more to the picture to be deemed a Category 2 drone.   As far as I have seen no drones have been classified as cat 2 yet….

“Category 2, drones can weigh more than 0.55 pounds, but they can’t be capable of causing injury to a human being that is greater than or equal to the severity of an injury caused by transferring 11 foot-pounds of kinetic energy. They also can’t contain any exposed rotating parts that could lacerate human skin”

Category 2 is the only category that requires both Remote ID and DoC for OOP. Right now, only one drone has a DoC for OOP, that's the  AgEagle eBee X series.
I just didn't know what was done to my Air 2S to make it Remote ID compliant. None of the latest updates specified this.
2023-3-7
Use props
jwp721
lvl.3
United States

striperseeker Posted at 3-7 13:11
Category 2 is the only category that requires both Remote ID and DoC for OOP. Right now, only one drone has a DoC for OOP, that's the  AgEagle eBee X series.
I just didn't know what was done to my Air 2S to make it Remote ID compliant. None of the latest updates specified this.

It wasn’t specified but if you are up to date on your firmware then it’s transmitting remote ID
2023-3-7
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Thanks for reaching out. For the DJI Air 2S, firmware version v02.04.23.20 or later supports FAA RID. The drone will broadcast the FAA Remote ID signal when all the following conditions are met:
1. The drone has the Remote ID functionality.
2. The drone is within the airspace of the United States.
3. The drone's motor starts.
Regarding the category, no DJI Consumer Drone currently satisfies the requirements of Categories 1, 2, or 3. We hope this clarifies your concerns. Should you have further inquiries, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you, and have a nice day.
2023-3-7
Use props
striperseeker
lvl.2
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 3-7 21:03
Hi there. Thanks for reaching out. For the DJI Air 2S, firmware version v02.04.23.20 or later supports FAA RID. The drone will broadcast the FAA Remote ID signal when all the following conditions are met:
1. The drone has the Remote ID functionality.
2. The drone is within the airspace of the United States.

Thank you for the reply.

I don't understand item 1 in your list - The drone has the Remote ID functionality.
Isn't what his update is supposed to give it? How does this satisfy the FAA requirement? It seems to me some hardware (e.g., a transmitter of some sort) would need to be integrated into the drone frame.
And as far as satisfying requirements for Cat 1, 2, or 3, do you mean for Ops of People (OOP)?  Adding a blade protector (which I have) along with DJI's DoC for Remote ID, should allow me to fly within Category 2 requirements over people. Provided DJI provides a DoC.
At least that is how I interpret 107.160.
2023-3-8
Use props
jwp721
lvl.3
United States

striperseeker Posted at 3-8 03:58
Thank you for the reply.

I don't understand item 1 in your list - The drone has the Remote ID functionality.

Don’t need an additional transmitter because it’s already broadcasting the remote ID with the same technology that allows you to see the view while flying.  foot-pounds of kinetic energy Is what the issue not so much the prop guard.  
2023-3-8
Use props
striperseeker
lvl.2
United States

jwp721 Posted at 3-8 11:26
Don’t need an additional transmitter because it’s already broadcasting the remote ID with the same technology that allows you to see the view while flying.  foot-pounds of kinetic energy Is what the issue not so much the prop guard.

I just assumed since the drone was not labeled as "Remote ID capable" it didn't have the hardware to transmit. If all it ever needed was a firmware upgrade, seems silly that DJI didn't do that sooner as a selling point.
As to the Kinetic Energy, that will never be able to be determined as the velocity is undetermined. The only OOP approved DoC is the AgEagle eBee X fixed wing, and I was told by FAA that's because it didn't have props to cause more damage
2023-3-8
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

striperseeker Posted at 3-8 13:17
I just assumed since the drone was not labeled as "Remote ID capable" it didn't have the hardware to transmit. If all it ever needed was a firmware upgrade, seems silly that DJI didn't do that sooner as a selling point.
As to the Kinetic Energy, that will never be able to be determined as the velocity is undetermined. The only OOP approved DoC is the AgEagle eBee X fixed wing, and I was told by FAA that's because it didn't have props to cause more damage

the drone has some other capabilities as well.  you won't find them all listed on the label since the label is not a showcase for the feature set.  unlike earlier this century where a piece of electronics was on display for everyone to see before buying it, most people don't get to see one first and likely won't factor into their purchase decision.  eventually a blurb on the box would be more suitable.

"remote id" is both a hardware and a software capability.  it makes no sense to put "remote id capable" on the hardware only rid-enabled drone when the software capability is disabled.  only after they both are enabled and the feature works at the approved level will you possibly see a change on the label.  afaik, there is no legal reference to the label so it's possible you may not see it at all....more than just a single line for the rid-number.

for dji, i don't think it will be a "selling point" until the world requires it.  not sure anyone in the uk or china cares to fly a drone that says "rid" and in contrast, "249g" is a big selling point all over the world and thus has earned a prominent place on the exterior.  would hate to see the drone become cluttered with advertising.  i am aware the label is mostly hidden.
2023-3-8
Use props
striperseeker
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 3-8 13:44
the drone has some other capabilities as well.  you won't find them all listed on the label since the label is not a showcase for the feature set.  unlike earlier this century where a piece of electronics was on display for everyone to see before buying it, most people don't get to see one first and likely won't factor into their purchase decision.  eventually a blurb on the box would be more suitable.

"remote id" is both a hardware and a software capability.  it makes no sense to put "remote id capable" on the hardware only rid-enabled drone when the software capability is disabled.  only after they both are enabled and the feature works at the approved level will you possibly see a change on the label.  afaik, there is no legal reference to the label so it's possible you may not see it at all....more than just a single line for the rid-number.

I don't care about the rest of the world, honestly. Just trying to protect my investment. The under 250 grams is worthless for anyone with a 107 license like me - it still has to be registered. I'm more interested in the Night Flight and OOP for expanded services without waivers.
2023-3-8
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

striperseeker Posted at 3-8 13:57
I don't care about the rest of the world, honestly. Just trying to protect my investment. The under 250 grams is worthless for anyone with a 107 license like me - it still has to be registered. I'm more interested in the Night Flight and OOP for expanded services without waivers.

im going to change what i wrote, hang on....brb
eta:  ok, i understand.  best of luck to you.  

2023-3-8
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

striperseeker Posted at 3-8 03:58
Thank you for the reply.

To clarify, the DJI Air 2S already has the Remote ID functionality and it was added through a firmware update. So if the firmware of your drone is the latest, it is now compliant with the Remote ID rule. There is no need for an external Remote ID broadcast module. And yes, we were referring to the categories for flying over people.
2023-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules