12Next >
5656 50 2023-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Martin_Majewski
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26798 ft
Poland

I have experienced lately that sometimes my 4k@60fps footage has dropped frames (you can see some sudden freezes in frames, like for a second or even 2s).The firmware is updated. The codec I have used is H265. The sdxc card I am using is PNY 256gb, U3, V30 A2

Is this something normal ? or should I send this drone for repair ?
2023-3-8
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

1) To check, use another recommended card.  
2) Also check on another computer.
2023-3-8
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
Mexico

It is almost certainly the SD card with a bad write speed. Lots of fakes out there, but also a lot of defective ones too. Most people don't force SD cards to sustain write speeds, so it goes unnoticed if they've got a bad card.
2023-3-8
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aint that quality and h.265 upto 150mb/s yet the card is only able to up to 90mb/s max
2023-3-8
Use props
Martin_Majewski
lvl.2
Poland

The SD card was bought from Amazon as distribution seller, and tests using CRYSTAL DISK MARK7 show read / write speeds above 85 megabytes (MB/s).
DJI mini 3 pro 4K@60fps files are saved with speeds like something between 18-20  megabytes (MB/s)
Below is test result from my the SD card

Screenshot 2023-03-08 173409.jpg
2023-3-8
Use props
Martin_Majewski
lvl.2
Poland

Bashy Posted at 3-8 07:49
Aint that quality and h.265 upto 150mb/s yet the card is only able to up to 90mb/s max

150mb/s (megabit per second) = 18.75 MB/S (megabyte per second)
The SD card as shown in test is able to read and write above 80 MB/s (megabyte per second)....that is much, much above video bitrate of DJI mini 3 pro which is 150 megabit per second (mb/s)
2023-3-8
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

Disck C, 1Tb?
Have you selected the correct disk?
2023-3-8
Use props
Martin_Majewski
lvl.2
Poland

Drone.Hunter Posted at 3-8 09:14
Disck C, 1Tb?
Have you selected the correct disk?

Thanks for noticing that, I have uploaded the correct screenshot.
2023-3-8
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Its not normal.
You can test to see if its the card by using the internal storage.  Then try a different card.

If it doesnt do it on internal or a different card then you've found your problem.

Are you *sure* its dropping frames and its not the playback machine struggling to keep up with 265/60 ?  Have you tried transcoding the footage into something lighter for the computer?

That said, dodgy card is my main suspect.

2023-3-8
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

Can you upload a sample?
2023-3-8
Use props
Martin_Majewski
lvl.2
Poland

gnirtS Posted at 3-8 09:56
Its not normal.
You can test to see if its the card by using the internal storage.  Then try a different card.
Below IMG showing the frame rate 56.85 (this already indicates that frames were lost.
The sample file is almost 3GB large, so it is difficult to share this with you. I will try to cut and upload  the short sequence where the clip is freezing/skipping.
I have opened this video on other devices, the problem still remains. Also, during conversion via Adobe Premiere the frames are dropped.
Screenshot 2023-03-08 200810.jpg
2023-3-8
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124469 ft
United Kingdom

When you rewind the video for a few seconds as soon as you see a frame drop, and then play the sequence again, does it drop the same frames in the same place second time round? If yes, the problem is the SD card recording. If no, the problem is your playback device/s (very few of which are capable of playing H265 4k/60p video smoothly).
2023-3-8
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Re you seeing this while recording or just playback? If just playback, you need a better card.
2023-3-8
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Martin_Majewski Posted at 3-8 09:10
150mb/s (megabit per second) = 18.75 MB/S (megabyte per second)
The SD card as shown in test is able to read and write above 80 MB/s (megabyte per second)....that is much, much above video bitrate of DJI mini 3 pro which is 150 megabit per second (mb/s)

Ah ok, my bad, i was confusing bits with bytes. As suggested, try recording to the internal memory at the same quality if you do not have another card to try.
2023-3-8
Use props
Martin_Majewski
lvl.2
Poland

trainee Posted at 3-8 16:35
When you rewind the video for a few seconds as soon as you see a frame drop, and then play the sequence again, does it drop the same frames in the same place second time round? If yes, the problem is the SD card recording. If no, the problem is your playback device/s (very few of which are capable of playing H265 4k/60p video smoothly).

Yes, the video sequence is freezing/ stopping constantly in the same timeline. You can also see video file properties with FPS diagnostic sum= 56.8 FPS, not 59/60FPS.

I have scanned and tested SD card with H2testw software, and everything is fine. Minimum write speed above manufacturer minimum spec >34.8 MB/s (V30, U3 standard indicates that the write speed can't go lower than 30MB/s). The SD card is capable of writing more than 4K@60FPS at bit rate above 30MB/s.

The problem with diagnostic of the drone is that internal memory lasts only for 1 minute of video clip in 4k@60FPS. The skipping of frames appeared in one 3minute clip, out of >30minut of total recorded files.

Video sample link below shows the issue (time stamp 0:55, 1:19, 2:24)
https://youtu.be/9odJwT5pntw

Video link

Screenshot 2023-03-09 082723.jpg
2023-3-8
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Martin_Majewski Posted at 3-8 23:26
Yes, the video sequence is freezing/ stopping constantly in the same timeline. You can also see video file properties with FPS diagnostic sum= 56.8 FPS, not 59/60FPS.

Is there a clue in the subject matter? High speed yaws at 4k/60 in H265 put the drone encoder under maximum load, especially if a detailed scene is changing rapidly.
2023-3-9
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Looking a lot like an SD card issue (you should see 60 fps or 59.94 depending on your NLE.
Try the internal memory to see if the problem goes away.  If it does, get a new SD card.
2023-3-9
Use props
Zoooom
lvl.4

Australia

The 4k60 stresses the drone to the max, so avoidance gets turned off. It could be one CPU in the drone is dodgy, but I suppose that would show in a red alert on screen.

Can also just be the connectors to the SD card.
2023-3-9
Use props
Martin_Majewski
lvl.2
Poland

Hi all,

You can take a look at the video sample that I have uploaded and see for your self what is happening.
take a look at timestamp 0:55, 1:19, 2:24

https://youtu.be/9odJwT5pntw
2023-3-9
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

I'll ask again, do you notice this while recording or just on playback?
2023-3-9
Use props
Martin_Majewski
lvl.2
Poland

Mobilehomer Posted at 3-9 09:25
I'll ask again, do you notice this while recording or just on playback?

The issue is recorded 4k60 data. I don't remember that if the glitching/freezing appeared on the controller screen. The point is abnormal data streamed to SD card from the drone internal buffer.
2023-3-9
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Have you tried a new card?
2023-3-9
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 3-9 10:11
Have you tried a new card?

Try the internal storage first - its definitely fast enough.
Then if thats ok try a different SD.
2023-3-9
Use props
Martin_Majewski
lvl.2
Poland

I have tested the same SD card today, no problem at all after recording some 10GB of 4k@60fps data, but unfortunately lost connection to my RC controller at 21 meters distance. Really strange behavior of the whole hardware.
2023-3-11
Use props
djiuser_VqaUH68
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1022300 ft
Australia

Martin_Majewski Posted at 3-11 13:24
I have tested the same SD card today, no problem at all after recording some 10GB of 4k@60fps data, but unfortunately lost connection to my RC controller at 21 meters distance. Really strange behavior of the whole hardware.

What is your build date?
When the RC lost connection, was it a screen freeze?
2023-3-11
Use props
Martin_Majewski
lvl.2
Poland

djiuser_VqaUH68 Posted at 3-11 14:22
What is your build date?
When the RC lost connection, was it a screen freeze?
Take a look at the recorded  flight from the RC, timestamp 6:00 minute. Lost connection during some photo shooting with the drone, away from me 21 meters. It was so strange, that even when I have reset the RC, it could not find the dron signal 2 meters away from me. The drone land after the battery drained off.
https://youtu.be/cZgOC2GtZPk
2023-3-11
Use props
djiuser_VqaUH68
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1022300 ft
Australia

Martin_Majewski Posted at 3-11 15:28
Take a look at the recorded  flight from the RC, timestamp 6:00 minute. Lost connection during some photo shooting with the drone, away from me 21 meters. It was so strange, that even when I have reset the RC, it could not find the dron signal 2 meters away from me. The drone land after the battery drained off.

The issue may be in the Mini3Pro itself then.
May I suggest you contact DJI support for guidance.
My M3Pro is currently in for repair. A faulty cable (described as a “7 in 1 flat cable”)  has been identified, and I am waiting for it to be returned.
From new it would lose datalink to the DJI RC or RC-N1 when Active Track was activated. The RC FPV screen would freeze and message posted: “RTH (no transmission) image transmission lost confirm whether to start auto RTH”. Other telemetry remained active, including Altitude, Distance, Map & Compass.
I refreshed FW and took time trying to trouble-shoot it, then contacted DJI. They suggested a different SD card, and when that didn’t resolve it they advised I send for repair without any further questions.
There are several folk in the forum having somewhat similar events. Maybe there has been a bad batch of cables?
My build date is OCT 2022 / delivery: late January.
Hope this helps,
2023-3-11
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Martin_Majewski Posted at 3-11 15:28

I see youre also having the glitchy issue with the focus peaking i think its called, I never use that myself as i hate seeing the red all over the screen, but thats causing your juddery live view, i wonder if thats anything to do with your frame drops, only one way to find out
2023-3-11
Use props
Martin_Majewski
lvl.2
Poland

djiuser_VqaUH68 Posted at 3-11 17:41
The issue may be in the Mini3Pro itself then.
May I suggest you contact DJI support for guidance.
My M3Pro is currently in for repair. A faulty cable (described as a “7 in 1 flat cable”)  has been identified, and I am waiting for it to be returned.

My drone build date is 09/2022. I started to use it in 01/2023 (this was my 8-9th fly trip using this drone). From my perspective, there is something wrong with the drone firmware or even hardware. Imagine that during the flight you lose connection..... you restart your RC controller several times, ...you see hovering above your-head drone, and you still can't connect to it. I was so frustrated. I waited under the drone, not knowing what will happen after the battery goes off. Luckily due to internal drone system procedures, it landed softly (so I could catch it before landing on some obstacles).
In my opinion, even if the sd card is faulty, you can't suddenly lose the antennas /signal of the drone.
2023-3-12
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 3-11 18:17
I see youre also having the glitchy issue with the focus peaking i think its called, I never use that myself as i hate seeing the red all over the screen, but thats causing your juddery live view, i wonder if thats anything to do with your frame drops, only one way to find out

Focus peaking certainly takes a lot of processor power away from other processes if you are trying to capture a screen recording too and always for me causes the screen display to stutter like mad…but it doesn't seem to hurt the drone footage.
2023-3-12
Use props
Martin_Majewski
lvl.2
Poland

I am returning my SDXC card from the drone "PNY PRO Elite 256GB" and exchanging it for the recommended by DJI: Kingstone Canvas Go! Plus 256GB.
If there will be still the same issues as mentioned above,  I will for sure return the drone as faulty.
2023-3-12
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

trainee Posted at 3-12 00:39
Focus peaking certainly takes a lot of processor power away from other processes if you are trying to capture a screen recording too and always for me causes the screen display to stutter like mad…but it doesn't seem to hurt the drone footage.

Good to know, thanks, i dont use it so i wasn't 100% sure but thought it was worth a mention.
2023-3-12
Use props
Martin_Majewski
lvl.2
Poland

For now, I have used my drone with new SDXC card reccomended by DJI: Kingstone canvas go plus 128GB (Read speed up to 170MB/s).  I have noticed that there is something unique for some UHS I memory cards,  for only Lexar, sandisk and Kingstone (can be also Samsung)---->>>internal controller named DDR208. This controller gives higher transfer speeds. Naturally device/ reading device also must have such controller to  proper fully use  this better sdxc properties. I assume that DJI mini 3 pro has internally such a controller, or requires this kind of cards properties. This is only my theory. It is little to early to confirm this, due to only 30 minutes of tests that I have done now with the new SD card. Nether less this would be strange to have in mind, that the internal system of the drone, its antenna transmission or connection issues appear if suddenly SD card, or write process collapses for some reasons (this would be a very week point of the whole system).
2023-3-17
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

Martin_Majewski Posted at 3-17 01:55
For now, I have used my drone with new SDXC card reccomended by DJI: Kingstone canvas go plus 128GB (Read speed up to 170MB/s).  I have noticed that there is something unique for some UHS I memory cards,  for only Lexar, sandisk and Kingstone (can be also Samsung)---->>>internal controller named DDR208. This controller gives higher transfer speeds. Naturally device/ reading device also must have such controller to  proper fully use  this better sdxc properties. I assume that DJI mini 3 pro has internally such a controller, or requires this kind of cards properties. This is only my theory. It is little to early to confirm this, due to only 30 minutes of tests that I have done now with the new SD card. Nether less this would be strange to have in mind, that the internal system of the drone, its antenna transmission or connection issues appear if suddenly SD card, or write process collapses for some reasons (this would be a very week point of the whole system).

Now everything is fine and there are no problems?
2023-3-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Martin_Majewski Posted at 3-17 01:55
For now, I have used my drone with new SDXC card reccomended by DJI: Kingstone canvas go plus 128GB (Read speed up to 170MB/s).  I have noticed that there is something unique for some UHS I memory cards,  for only Lexar, sandisk and Kingstone (can be also Samsung)---->>>internal controller named DDR208. This controller gives higher transfer speeds. Naturally device/ reading device also must have such controller to  proper fully use  this better sdxc properties. I assume that DJI mini 3 pro has internally such a controller, or requires this kind of cards properties. This is only my theory. It is little to early to confirm this, due to only 30 minutes of tests that I have done now with the new SD card. Nether less this would be strange to have in mind, that the internal system of the drone, its antenna transmission or connection issues appear if suddenly SD card, or write process collapses for some reasons (this would be a very week point of the whole system).

So it was the card, its generally the 1st thing to eliminate, FYI, my goto cards are the SanDisk 64GB Extreme, i always get a few when they are on offer on Amazon and i make a habit of swapping the card on every flight, least then if the drone is lost, i don't lose too much, not that my media is worth keeping mind lol
2023-3-17
Use props
Martin_Majewski
lvl.2
Poland

Drone.Hunter Posted at 3-17 07:14
Now everything is fine and there are no problems?

For now I am testing the drone with new card. Difficult to say 100% that this was SD card issue because the first SD card I have used at first was also fine, and the problem appear  after 8 flights. First thing that I have noticed is little bit faster RAW 48mpix photos saving time 9but this can change after decreasing space on the SD).
2023-3-18
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Worth noting that Amazon has a *lot* of fake cards.
What you think you're buying isnt always what you get - people sell fake or older cards re-labelled.

If i buy a card off Amazon i always now make sure its the official store of that card manufacturer.
2023-3-18
Use props
Martin_Majewski
lvl.2
Poland

gnirtS Posted at 3-18 03:37
Worth noting that Amazon has a *lot* of fake cards.
What you think you're buying isnt always what you get - people sell fake or older cards re-labelled.

Still, I did not say that this was 100% SD card issue. The SD cards that I bought are original, not fake. even if this is a SD card issue, this would mean that DJI drone system or firmware is faulty.  This cant be that a SD card suddenly shuts off your Drone signal antennas. First problem that I noticed was frame dropped on 3 minute recording from about 40 minutes flight, and this occurred on 8th flight. Everything was fine in the first 7 flights.

I would compare this situation that we are talking about, as if someone would say to me that my car steering wheel would work fine, if I would use original SD card for my car entertainment music player.
2023-3-18
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

You don't know if it was genuine.  Thats the whole point of fakes.

And yes they can do that.  Ive had a similar issue on my M2 where an attempted card right effectively locked up the CPU and caused the drone to stop responding for a substantial time.

Perfectly plausible its entirely the fault of the SD card.
2023-3-18
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

I tested my sd cards by writing a large file, almost equal to the space on the sd card. The write speed was even.
If the camera does not keep up with recording, then there will be frame drops.
2023-3-18
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules