Mini 2 died in mid-flight...
1376 11 2023-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Eddie Ellis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39662 ft
United States

Last week I was flying my Mini 2 back to base when all of a sudden it just died in mid air! The screen went blank and said not connected, and then I heard a crash out in the desert. I did find the drone right side up on the ground with 2 missing props and the other 6 were fine. Some mud in one of the motors. I assume from lack of damge the motors were not turning at impact.

I then cleaned the mud out and replaced all 8 props and had no problem flying until I noticed how shaky the video was...the camera gimbal was broken and the camera was flopping around.

The last entry in the flight log shows it at 93 feet - nothing more after that.

I had been taking some still photos and then switched to video.

The on-board video only is 18 seconds long and was corrupt...after fixing it the video just shows flying along nicely and suddenly ending.

The video from the cell phone is 1:12 seconds long and just before it ended the camera suddenly snapped into max tele. Again the video ends before impact.

Last battery percentage was 63%.

Any idea what happened???

Thanks

Eddie

2023-3-8
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

How secure was the battery whan you found it and was there any damage around the battery door.
You might as well upload the log to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ and post the resulting URL here, there are a couple of log readers on here who can occasionally dig out things we lesser mortals miss.
Did you start recording 18sec before the crash or is there something else we should read into the shortness of the recording?

2023-3-8
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Also uploading the last footage maybe some help
2023-3-8
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Eddie Thank you for reaching out.  We're sorry for the unpleasant experience. In this kind of situation,  we recommend that you send your drone back to us for further diagnosis and analysis of what happened. You may submit an online repair request through this link: {https://repair.dji.com/repair/index}. If the unit is still within warranty, the data analysis would be free.  Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-3-8
Use props
Eddie Ellis
lvl.1
United States

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/4BUJBZOV9HAZ9O8LVEXD -  this is for the last flight before crashing.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/5HFTGJY6F1JAF9IX0Y7O -  this is the flight log for first flight after replacing all 8 props.

Eddie
2023-3-8
Use props
Eddie Ellis
lvl.1
United States

Bashy Posted at 3-8 17:41
Also uploading the last footage maybe some help

No can do...when I post the link to the video on my Flickr page I get an error stating 'post has inappropiate content'....???
Search Flickr.com for "Frater Operator" and that should have the video first out on my Photostream.

Thanks again...

Eddie

2023-3-8
Use props
Eddie Ellis
lvl.1
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 3-8 17:43
Hi, Eddie Thank you for reaching out.  We're sorry for the unpleasant experience. In this kind of situation,  we recommend that you send your drone back to us for further diagnosis and analysis of what happened. You may submit an online repair request through this link: {https://repair.dji.com/repair/index}. If the unit is still within warranty, the data analysis would be free.  Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your understanding and support.

I used the Refresh+ to get a new mini 2 rather than wait for repair estimates.

It will be interesting to see what the cause of this crash was once the flight logs are looked at.

Eddie
2023-3-8
Use props
Eddie Ellis
lvl.1
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 3-8 15:48
How secure was the battery whan you found it and was there any damage around the battery door.
You might as well upload the log to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ and post the resulting URL here, there are a couple of log readers on here who can occasionally dig out things we lesser mortals miss.
Did you start recording 18sec before the crash or is there something else we should read into the shortness of the recording?

The battery door was secure ... I didn't even take out the battery before flying again. I just replaced 8 props, cleaned dirt out of the one motor and then it powered right up just like it always did.

Log files have been uploaded as well as the video.

I had just finished taking some still photos and then switched to video before returning to home. 18 seconds after that the on-board 1080p video just stopped and the file was corrupt. It was likely missing the "End of File" flag...but I was able to fix it.

However the video on the cell phone was 1:12 long...and that is the one posted on my Flickr page.

Eddie
2023-3-8
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Eddie Ellis Posted at 3-8 18:35
I used the Refresh+ to get a new mini 2 rather than wait for repair estimates.

It will be interesting to see what the cause of this crash was once the flight logs are looked at.

Hi, Eddie. You can also apply for data analysis only if your aircraft is still in the warranty period. However, the data analysis result will not change the replacement fee.
2023-3-8
Use props
Eddie Ellis
lvl.1
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 3-8 23:37
Hi, Eddie. You can also apply for data analysis only if your aircraft is still in the warranty period. However, the data analysis result will not change the replacement fee.

Has anyone had a chance to look at the flight logs and/or the video I posted earlier?

FYI, the DJI Refresh program worked just fine...I got the replacement drone in two days and it works just fine. The old drone was sent back on a Monday and by Friday I had an email saying they had received it and that the charge on my cc was being reversed.

But I still wonder why the drone just stopped dead in mid air and crashed. This is making me think twice about a better drone...I'll just stay with this one for awhile and see how it goes.

Thanks again...

Eddie
2023-3-14
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12401030 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Eddie Ellis Posted at 3-14 11:50
Has anyone had a chance to look at the flight logs and/or the video I posted earlier?

FYI, the DJI Refresh program worked just fine...I got the replacement drone in two days and it works just fine. The old drone was sent back on a Monday and by Friday I had an email saying they had received it and that the charge on my cc was being reversed.

Hi Eddie,

Nothing to be found in your log to explain what happend, no errors whatsoever.

Only the first 21 seconds in flight not enough satellites to set your HomePoint (nothing to do with this issue)
cheers
JJB  [ Chart by FRAP ; the 'best' software for flightlog analysis ]
analysis1.png
2023-3-14
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Eddie Ellis Posted at 3-8 18:39
The battery door was secure ... I didn't even take out the battery before flying again. I just replaced 8 props, cleaned dirt out of the one motor and then it powered right up just like it always did.

Log files have been uploaded as well as the video.

You can contact our support through this email address; support@dji.com
and then tell the support about your request to apply for data analysis services.
Make sure to attach the data and synchronize the flight records.
2023-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules