Latest firmware breaks root hack.
3018 12 2023-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BGA
lvl.4
United States

FWIIW, the latest firmware for both the S1 and EP breaks the root hack. If you try to run the root script it raises an exception with the message:

"Thank you for making us progress together"

I guess this was directed at me  ;)

I would believe the message if they had added SDK support to the S1 which they did not so nothing progressed on DJI's end. In any case, I found another backdoor and I am experienting with a more durable way to get SDK support (basically by actually turning an S1 into an EP.

I will let you know when I have news. I will not explain the new root backdoor until I do because otherwise DJI might also just plug it again. Sorry.

2023-3-10
Use props
RoboMike
lvl.2

Austria

Hello!

Thanks for the info. I was wondering the same thing, I have both an S1 and an EP and the hardware looks almost identical. If there is a way to convince the S1 one to be an EP then that would be the best way to go. Why DJI is not doing that to start with is completely beyond me. Only makes people think that its for commercial reasons but who knows. At the very least there should be an official statment about this to clear up any specualtion on way or another. I think people deserve that at least.

In any case if you need any help please get in touch.

Mike
2023-3-12
Use props
BGA
lvl.4
United States

Quick update: It does not mean much but I got the Robomaster app to think the S1 is an EP and everything still works. As I have multiple S1s and now also an EP, I just went the brute force approach and asked the app to upgrade the firmware (to the EP one). That did not work (it fails some validation check) but I guess it is progress.
2023-3-14
Use props
Abhignya
lvl.1
Germany

Hello , I recently bought Robomaster S1 for my project. I am trying to connect it with USB to use SDK with the hack you posted. But it didnt help. I got stuck in the first step itself. Do you think this is possible to do with S1 or should I buy an EP robomaster. I am  not sure. Can you help me?
2023-4-3
Use props
BGA
lvl.4
United States

Abhignya Posted at 4-3 04:22
Hello , I recently bought Robomaster S1 for my project. I am trying to connect it with USB to use SDK with the hack you posted. But it didnt help. I got stuck in the first step itself. Do you think this is possible to do with S1 or should I buy an EP robomaster. I am  not sure. Can you help me?

The latest version of the firmware blocked the existing root hack as I mentioned. If you want to be sure you will have SDK support now, you will need to get an EP.
2023-4-3
Use props
Abhignya
lvl.1
Germany

BGA Posted at 4-3 04:31
The latest version of the firmware blocked the existing root hack as I mentioned. If you want to be sure you will have SDK support now, you will need to get an EP.

I will be needing its values into PC, so probably I will not be able to do it now. Thank you for the reply.
2023-4-3
Use props
djiuser_LlJVaJsQc5dT
New

China

hello there,
thank you for the info about the hack s1.I have got a robomaster s1 and sadly found that it upgraded to 0520 , so no sdk now. I found a robotic arm an gripper and managed to install it to my s1.the app says  it found the arm connected buy when I program to drive it. that won't work.I saw u said in you reply.that you found a way to make the app think it's a ep.would that way work for me?  waiting for your reply.
2023-6-15
Use props
BGA
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_LlJVaJsQc5dT Posted at 6-15 07:53
hello there,
thank you for the info about the hack s1.I have got a robomaster s1 and sadly found that it upgraded to 0520 , so no sdk now. I found a robotic arm an gripper and managed to install it to my s1.the app says  it found the arm connected buy when I program to drive it. that won't work.I saw u said in you reply.that you found a way to make the app think it's a ep.would that way work for me?  waiting for your reply.

Nothing to report yet. I do have a plan B where having the SDK support or not is simply irrelevant which is more promising anyway. Just consider that the Robomaster app does not rely on the SDK.
2023-6-20
Use props
Sheli
New

Japan

BGA Posted at 6-20 06:00
Nothing to report yet. I do have a plan B where having the SDK support or not is simply irrelevant which is more promising anyway. Just consider that the Robomaster app does not rely on the SDK.

Hi~Is there any update? Just upgraded the firmware to 0621 and didn't realize it would break the hack...
2023-10-25
Use props
DefenderVex
lvl.1

New Zealand

Any change?
2023-11-21
Use props
BGA
lvl.4
United States

Ok, 2 things:

1 - It is very easy to circumvent the "protection" DJI added. I am going to mention how to do that below but, most likely, DJI will just do something else to block it again. So I recommend never updating the firmware again if you want to keep using this.

In the root.py script (the one that runs in the robot), just change the line:

x=root_me('subprocess')

To:

x=root_me('sub'+'process')

Yep, they are doing string matching with the "subprocess" string.

2 - This is the last time I even bother with the SDK (which, BTW, does not seem to be maintained at all) and, instead, I am doing my own thing that does not depend on it at all and still allows doing everything that it does plus more. It is in Go and the code is here:

https://github.com/brunoga/robomaster/tree/main/sdk2

It is in heavy development (and not fully complete) now so do not rely on the existing API for anything important as it will most likely change/break.

2023-11-23
Use props
DefenderVex
lvl.1

New Zealand

BGA Posted at 11-23 04:31
Ok, 2 things:

1 - It is very easy to circumvent the "protection" DJI added. I am going to mention how to do that below but, most likely, DJI will just do something else to block it again. So I recommend never updating the firmware again if you want to keep using this.

Yeah, I'm honestly planning to get around the issue by building a replacement for the intelligent controller. There are already projects that do just that out there and the only thing I'm really going to do is port one of them to a newer microcontroller with more processing power.
2023-11-25
Use props
JankinZhuang
New

United States

BGA Posted at 2023-11-23 04:31
Ok, 2 things:

Hello!
I know someone who can unlock S1 to EP with 249RMB(about 34US$). This guy said they have official series Number that can make S1 to EP, upgrade is available .
1-19 11:06
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules