Drone Madness
1513 9 2015-8-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jones5r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105722 ft
United States

Reading some of these stories about drone close calls, I have a hard time believing some of them...But at this point, it doesn't matter because big media is running with the story line and who is there to provide a counter point. Some regulation does need to happen though. Registering your bird and maybe an online safety class would be a good start.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/faa-records-detail-hundreds-of-close-calls-between-airplanes-and-drones/2015/08/20/5ef812ae-4737-11e5-846d-02792f854297_story.html
2015-8-20
Use props
Linolens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

Agree.
Manufacturing news to sells news. Sensationalism.
But there are some very bad real examples out there that just blows common sense out of the water.
These should be the "pilots" who should be banned.
2015-8-20
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

This is not only for "drones" ... !

Just the other day a medical helicopter wanted to land on a beach in Sweden due to a drowning accident ... but people would not clear any space for it as most of them was busy filming the helicopter with their phones. Finally the pilot had to "force his way down" to make them move ...

People are just plain stupid ... and it would be hard to have laws against beeing "stupid" ... I think ...
2015-8-21
Use props
Fred D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56184 ft
Canada

w1der Posted at 2015-8-21 17:07
This is not only for "drones" ... !

Just the other day a medical helicopter wanted to land on a bea ...

You're right, "they can't ban stupid" BUT they can ban the things they're being stupid with, like UAV's
2015-8-21
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Fred D Posted at 2015-8-21 22:00
You're right, "they can't ban stupid" BUT they can ban the things they're being stupid with, like  ...

They made texting and driving illegal ... people still do it ... but they will never ban the smart phones !
2015-8-21
Use props
tomswell
lvl.2
Flight distance : 268438 ft
United States

Flying ethics
2015-8-23
Use props
jones5r
lvl.4
United States

FYI....I just read California State legislation is close to passing a law that would ban drone operators from flying over Private property.  Here's a snippet from the article.

"The bill (SB-142) still faces a vote in the senate, but if signed, will make flying a drone below 350 feet over private property without the consent of the property owner illegal. Currently the FAA allows small aircraft to be flown for recreational purposes without a permit, below 400 feet and at least five miles from an airport. This means that, if this bill is signed, drone hobbyists in California will only be able to fly their drones within a small band of airspace — between 350 feet and 400 feet."

Unfortunately, I think this is due to the heavy influx of drones flying around Cali's sky. Cali is the Drone capital for the US. New York will probably be next. Of course NY will use the "security language" while Cali is mostly using the "privacy language" in there new law. Lucky for me, I'm the only person I know in my small town in PA that operates a drone. So hopefully petty un-thoughtout regulations are well down the road.

2015-8-26
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fred D Posted at 2015-8-21 22:00
You're right, "they can't ban stupid" BUT they can ban the things they're being stupid with, like  ...

You can't fix Stupid

Rich
2015-8-26
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

jones5r Posted at 2015-8-27 03:22
FYI....I just read California State legislation is close to passing a law that would ban drone opera ...

Jones,

This sounds like a stupid attempt to impose over the top restrictions that even the FAA dont probably want to see.

So they ban flights up to 350feet, but its ok to fly between 350 and 400 feet.  Will be interesting to see how they suggest you get to 350 feet ?  

I dont get it, you have the right in the USA to bear arms and carry a gun, but the regulators seem fixated on trying to impose restrictions on flying a UAV ??  Where is the comparable risk for flying a UAV compared to carrying a gun in public.  At least if you see a UAV coming towards you  there is hopefully the opportunity to get out of its path, which is unlikely when it is a bullet.  

If they just impose similar regulations to what we have in the UK, that would surely be sufficient to address privacy laws.

It will surely be a sad day in California if this law is passed and wouldn't be surprised if DJI move their newly opened repair centre to another state where UAVs are more acceptable.

I wonder if the Californian state will refund all those Inspire owners who will be unable to fly their aircraft if this is passed.
2015-8-27
Use props
jones5r
lvl.4
United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-8-28 03:03
Jones,

This sounds like a stupid attempt to impose over the top restrictions that even the FAA do ...

GB 44, I don't get it either. The media is driving this mostly. Unfortunately not too many independent thinkers out there.
2015-8-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules