Scanning tall cylinder tower
701 11 2023-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cmarines
lvl.4
Flight distance : 331762 ft
Canada

I am planning to scan with pictures the tower from image/link below for 3D model procesing.
What is the best technics I can use with Mini 3 Pro?
I do see the POI or circles. Others? Using POI camera always will focus the top of the building, is that a good choice? It would be better to have the camera pointing perpendiculat to tower, I believe. What distance from the tower would be good? What resolution 48Mp or 12Mp? Will antenaes from the top affect the RC communications?

Regards,
tower2
tower

tower.png
2023-3-13
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Given the height of the tower I would do this kind of work manually.  You define a circle around the tower with angular sectors that correspond to the overlap you need.

12 or 48, it all depends on the final resolution of the project ?the same for the distance.  

For antennas do not get too close, in theory there is no big risk of interference but the precautionary principle is applicable.
2023-3-13
Use props
cmarines
lvl.4
Canada

LV_Forestry Posted at 3-13 07:22
Given the height of the tower I would do this kind of work manually.  You define a circle around the tower with angular sectors that correspond to the overlap you need.

12 or 48, it all depends on the final resolution of the project ?the same for the distance.  

Thanks for answer.
Since you suggest to use a manual work (and I agree), do you believe is better to do a vertical movement or horizontal movement? Let's say I need 8 camera positions (P1 to P8) for each slice and each slice will be at 2 meters height, total 10 slices. Since I can have walking access around the tower, I can start from P1 on lower slice, do a shot, then increase the altitude and do another shot (still on P1), until the top of the tower, then shift to P2 (counter clock wise) and start to to shots by lowering the altitude, then shift to P3 and so on. When I have all 8 positions, I will do one shot from top. That would be the Vertical movement, OR I can start on Circle mode, do 8 shots on first lower slice, then increase the altitude to slice 2 and next 8 shots, so on. This would be the horizontal movement.
2023-3-13
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

cmarines Posted at 3-13 07:50
Thanks for answer.
Since you suggest to use a manual work (and I agree), do you believe is better to do a vertical movement or horizontal movement? Let's say I need 8 camera positions (P1 to P8) for each slice and each slice will be at 2 meters height, total 10 slices. Since I can have walking access around the tower, I can start from P1 on lower slice, do a shot, then increase the altitude and do another shot (still on P1), until the top of the tower, then shift to P2 (counter clock wise) and start to to shots by lowering the altitude, then shift to P3 and so on. When I have all 8 positions, I will do one shot from top. That would be the Vertical movement, OR I can start on Circle mode, do 8 shots on first lower slice, then increase the altitude to slice 2 and next 8 shots, so on. This would be the horizontal movement.

I recommend that you activate the grid, I don't remember if it's available on DJI FLY.  
If so you will have a rectangle in the middle of the image.  Starts from a point on the ground, then going up takes each photo with the size of the rectangle as an interval.  This should ensure an overlap of about 70%, more than enough.  
When you arrive at the top, you shift to the right or to the left, taking the rectangle once again as a reference, then you go down, then you shift again and go up... until you come back to the starting axis.
2023-3-13
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

cmarines Posted at 3-13 07:50
Thanks for answer.

It should look like this more or less:
twr.JPG
twr2.JPG
2023-3-13
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

There must be a cloud point available in there:

https://ftp.maps.canada.ca/pub/e ... olution/dsm_mns/1m/

You can use it to properly georeference the model.
2023-3-13
Use props
cmarines
lvl.4
Canada

LV_Forestry Posted at 3-13 08:25
There must be a cloud point available in there:

https://ftp.maps.canada.ca/pub/elevation/dem_mne/highresolution_hauteresolution/dsm_mns/1m/

Thank you.
What would be the best free graphical tool to visualize the cloud? ArcGIS or something else?
2023-3-13
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

cmarines Posted at 3-13 08:33
Thank you.
What would be the best free graphical tool to visualize the cloud? ArcGIS or something else?

Agisoft viewer is a got tool. I usualy recommand this one for customers.
Agisoft Metashape: Installer
2023-3-13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and hope that you could get the best recommendations from our fellow DJI Pilots that already have experience with this specific work. Just a friendly reminder not to get close to the antennas as signal interference might affect the connection of the aircraft to the RC. Have a safe and happy flying!
2023-3-13
Use props
cmarines
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Paladin Posted at 3-13 21:08
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and hope that you could get the best recommendations from our fellow DJI Pilots that already have experience with this specific work. Just a friendly reminder not to get close to the antennas as signal interference might affect the connection of the aircraft to the RC. Have a safe and happy flying!

Would you please define how close I can be to an cellphone antennas before visible signal interference. Is 10m or 30ft to close?
Also, how can the interference affect the RC: flyaway, trigger RTH, erratic movement, loose image, other?

"not to get close to the antennas as signal interference might affect the connection of the aircraft to the RC."
2023-3-14
Use props
ro_walker
First Officer
Brazil

Fly somewhere else.
2023-3-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

cmarines Posted at 3-14 06:09
Would you please define how close I can be to an cellphone antennas before visible signal interference. Is 10m or 30ft to close?
Also, how can the interference affect the RC: flyaway, trigger RTH, erratic movement, loose image, other?

Thank you for your response. There is no certain distance recommended. We strongly recommend checking the image transmission channel status in the APP image transmission settings and keeping it in stable status. Also, if the remote controller loses signal to the drone and you set the Signal Lost settings (DJI Fly app > General Settings > Safety > Advance Safety Settings > Signal Lost) to "Return to Home", the aircraft will trigger the Failsafe RTH. For more information about Failsafe RTH, you may visit the DJI Mini 3 Pro manual on page 18. You may access the manual using the link below. Hope this helps. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules