No Upcoming Remote ID (FAA/US) for Phantom 4 Pro V2
7411 22 2023-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dave Z
lvl.3
Flight distance : 90098 ft
United States

Just wanted to share some information about Remote ID for the Phantom 4 Pro V2.

Several months ago there was another production run of Phantom 4 Pro V2s (which to this day is shown as current on the DJI site). I reached out to DJI to ask if the drone's firmware would be updated to be compliant with Remote ID and I was told it would be. I made a purchasing decision based on this, and have followed up several times just to confirm. A week ago I found a post where someone said that DJI told them there would be NO Remote ID update for the drone. I reached out to tech support, and one agent confirmed this, another agent said they still had plans to support but then finally admitted he just didn't know. I asked to have somoene with with more knowledge call me back. A supervisor called, said she spoke with engineering, and said there were no plans to implement Remote ID support.

This is my problem: I was told there would be Remote ID support, which influenced my purchasing decision. This drone was sold by DJI as recently as several months ago and is still listed as "current" on their site, despite the fact we all know it's really discontinued. The Mavic Platinum Pro, an older drone with the same version of OcuSync and Go 4 app has a DOC is was updated to be Remote ID compliant, so we can make a fair assumption it would be minimal effort to do for the Phantom 4 Pro V2 as well.

Please make your voices heard and sign this online petition. Even if you don't fly this particular drone, let DJI you are unhappy with them dropping support -- it could easily happen with the models you DO use in the future.

https://chng.it/ntwSLJGQ

Thanks for your time.

2023-3-16
Use props
DGBarar
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The most likely response that you will get from DJI is that they are waiting for a complete version of the standard to be released before they can commit to updating.  I think this response from DJI is utter nonsense. They must know what the Remote ID standard is because several of their aircraft have already been approved.  Additionally, there is an after market module that is compliant with Remote ID.  Those of us that own Phantom 4 Pros and Phantom 4 Pro version 2 deserve an answer now so that we can plan for the future.
2023-3-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, we are sorry for the inconvenience caused. We will forward the support issue to the corresponding team for further confirmation and keep improving our service in the future. As our team explained, you can operate your drone with a Remote ID broadcast module. And we notice that our team is following up on your case and has replied to your email, you can take a look.
2023-3-17
Use props
Dave Z
lvl.3
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-17 02:27
Hi there, we are sorry for the inconvenience caused. We will forward the support issue to the corresponding team for further confirmation and keep improving our service in the future. As our team explained, you can operate your drone with a Remote ID broadcast module. And we notice that our team is following up on your case and has replied to your email, you can take a look.

Your team told me after your last production run several months ago it WOULD be supported, so your team's answer to use a third party module is not acceptable.
2023-3-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Dave Z Posted at 3-17 03:56
Your team told me after your last production run several months ago it WOULD be supported, so your team's answer to use a third party module is not acceptable.

We understand your concerns. We will forward your feedback and concerns to the corresponding team. And our team will keep following up on your case. If there is any update, our team will send you an email. Hope you can wait for the email patiently.
2023-3-18
Use props
WA4OSH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 54367 ft
United States

I just bought my Phantom 4 V2 Pro.  I need many of its features to do my research.  Is it because the P4P still uses the older DJI GO 4 app instead of DJI Fly?  
2023-3-24
Use props
Dave Z
lvl.3
United States

WA4OSH Posted at 3-24 06:47
I just bought my Phantom 4 V2 Pro.  I need many of its features to do my research.  Is it because the P4P still uses the older DJI GO 4 app instead of DJI Fly?

DJI actually had the Mavic Pro Platinum approved, an older drone that uses the same Go 4 app. I am guessing they chose that drone as a proof of concept/test case, as it isn't really competition to their newer line. As a software developer familiar with a lot of the technology, it seems obvious they want to force P4Pv2 owners to buy their new models, which are twice expensive and less versatile. Not fair to many of us who just bought new units recently with the assurance that they would have Remote ID in a firmware update.
2023-3-24
Use props
DGBarar
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mavic Pro Platinum approved!.  Well there is some hope then for us Phantom 4 Pro users.  As for me, I will not purchase another DJI drone until they release the SDK for the entire Mavic 3 line and Litchi releases an update to cover these drones.  Why?  Because I do all my mission planning with Google Earth, then fly the missions in Litchi Virtual Mission.  This way I know what will be in the field of view before I actually fly the mission.
2023-3-24
Use props
WA4OSH
lvl.2
United States

Dave Z Posted at 3-24 06:52
DJI actually had the Mavic Pro Platinum approved, an older drone that uses the same Go 4 app. I am guessing they chose that drone as a proof of concept/test case, as it isn't really competition to their newer line. As a software developer familiar with a lot of the technology, it seems obvious they want to force P4Pv2 owners to buy their new models, which are twice expensive and less versatile. Not fair to many of us who just bought new units recently with the assurance that they would have Remote ID in a firmware update.

So it's not due to DJI GO 4 app limitations.  Interesting.  So clearly it's just a firmware update if they wanted to.  P4Pv2 already does obsolete Aeroscope.

DJI (if you read your own forum):  I won't be buying anymore drones from DJI if you force me to buy a remote ID module from some company in Czeck Republic that has no customer support in the US for $300.  I can't fly two drones at once that do what I need to do with my P4P.
2023-3-25
Use props
WA4OSH
lvl.2
United States

DGBarar Posted at 3-24 12:50
Mavic Pro Platinum approved!.  Well there is some hope then for us Phantom 4 Pro users.  As for me, I will not purchase another DJI drone until they release the SDK for the entire Mavic 3 line and Litchi releases an update to cover these drones.  Why?  Because I do all my mission planning with Google Earth, then fly the missions in Litchi Virtual Mission.  This way I know what will be in the field of view before I actually fly the mission.

Don't remind me of the ridiculous BS with the DJI Mini 3 "pro"  I bought it with the RC+ controller.  You can't load apps into that controller.  I guess "pro" stands for pro-sumer, not professional.
2023-3-25
Use props
WA4OSH
lvl.2
United States

The new DJI micro-drones can't lift experiments like my P4PV2 can.
2023-3-25
Use props
Txww
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5235886 ft
  • >>>
United States

We really need to know if it is or it isn't going to be.  As I need to know so that I can make plans on what direction I'm going to go.  As I have 2 P4P V2's.  I've been told the Mavic 3E is the replacement for the P4P.  From what I've seen and read it doesn't have all of the intelligent flight modes the P4P does.  So which is it DJI?  Yea or nea on the RFI for the P4P?  We can't wait until September to find out as some of us have to go through a budgeting process that takes time.   
2023-3-28
Use props
CineRik
lvl.2

United States

Txww Posted at 3-28 07:07
We really need to know if it is or it isn't going to be.  As I need to know so that I can make plans on what direction I'm going to go.  As I have 2 P4P V2's.  I've been told the Mavic 3E is the replacement for the P4P.  From what I've seen and read it doesn't have all of the intelligent flight modes the P4P does.  So which is it DJI?  Yea or nea on the RFI for the P4P?  We can't wait until September to find out as some of us have to go through a budgeting process that takes time.

Not to mention that the 'replacement' is a $3500 dollar drone.  DJI have given us no technical reason why the P4P or indeed the M2P can't have remote ID enabled. It really does seem like a push to stop people using their fully functional, slightly older, drones and force them to get new ones. If that does turn out to be the case then I will be getting new mapping drones, but there won't be a DJI logo on them anywhere to be seen.
EDIT: Welp! It's going to prevent me from flying/registering those drones perhaps until Xmas, but it looks like DJI *is* going to give the V2 Phantom and the Mavic 2 Pro a firmware upgrade.
2023-5-5
Use props
RickHELP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 150988 ft
United States

CineRik Posted at 5-5 11:00
Not to mention that the 'replacement' is a $3500 dollar drone.  DJI have given us no technical reason why the P4P or indeed the M2P can't have remote ID enabled. It really does seem like a push to stop people using their fully functional, slightly older, drones and force them to get new ones. If that does turn out to be the case then I will be getting new mapping drones, but there won't be a DJI logo on them anywhere to be seen.
EDIT: Welp! It's going to prevent me from flying/registering those drones perhaps until Xmas, but it looks like DJI *is* going to give the V2 Phantom and the Mavic 2 Pro a firmware upgrade.
What is your information source that tells you DJI will have an update to enable RID for the P4P V2?  Is there an indication as to when this will be available. Thanks very much.

UPDATE:  I was informed via DJI customer support chat that DJI will release a firmware update no later than December 31, 2023 that will enable RID on the Phantom 4 Pro.  You can confirm this by clicking on the link in the post on the next page.  Hopefully, this update will be available sooner rather than later.  9/16/23 is now less than a month out.
2023-7-27
Use props
simonphoto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13789 ft
United States

No useful info from me, I'm just joining the crowd who is trying to find out what the heck is going on. I have 2 Phantom 4 Pro v.2 and I rely on them for work. It would be nice to know what's going on.
2023-7-31
Use props
Mr. Strat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4542854 ft
United States

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &extra=page%3D1
2023-7-31
Use props
Southern Ohio Airtime
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9265 ft

United States

DGBarar Posted at 3-16 18:23
The most likely response that you will get from DJI is that they are waiting for a complete version of the standard to be released before they can commit to updating.  I think this response from DJI is utter nonsense. They must know what the Remote ID standard is because several of their aircraft have already been approved.  Additionally, there is an after market module that is compliant with Remote ID.  Those of us that own Phantom 4 Pros and Phantom 4 Pro version 2 deserve an answer now so that we can plan for the future.

Any module use for remote id is not required to broadcast the GCS location data, and other emergency data elements by the FAA...and therefore any aircraft using a module will not be approved for BVLOS Ops. Something to bear in mind as well if true.
2023-8-21
Use props
Southern Ohio Airtime
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9265 ft

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-18 02:23
We understand your concerns. We will forward your feedback and concerns to the corresponding team. And our team will keep following up on your case. If there is any update, our team will send you an email. Hope you can wait for the email patiently.

Mindy..thats unacceptable as modules will not broadcast the needed data elements for the ability to conduct future BVLOS operations. Can you please expedite this element and provide better guidance i.e. a future firmware update release for native remote id? Thank you.
2023-8-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Southern Ohio Airtime Posted at 8-21 09:42
Mindy..thats unacceptable as modules will not broadcast the needed data elements for the ability to conduct future BVLOS operations. Can you please expedite this element and provide better guidance i.e. a future firmware update release for native remote id? Thank you.

May I ask about the model of your drone? Is it Phantom 4 Pro 2.0?
2023-8-22
Use props
DigitalBoss
lvl.4
Flight distance : 238934 ft
  • >>>
United States

RickHELP Posted at 7-27 07:54
What is your information source that tells you DJI will have an update to enable RID for the P4P V2?  Is there an indication as to when this will be available. Thanks very much.

UPDATE:  I was informed via DJI customer support chat that DJI will release a firmware update no later than December 31, 2023 that will enable RID on the Phantom 4 Pro.  You can confirm this by clicking on the link in the post on the next page.  Hopefully, this update will be available sooner rather than later.  9/16/23 is now less than a month out.

"on the Phantom 4 Pro", does this include the Phantom 4 Pro+ v2? Two different aircraft.
2023-9-25
Use props
Mr. Strat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4542854 ft
United States

DigitalBoss Posted at 9-25 06:39
"on the Phantom 4 Pro", does this include the Phantom 4 Pro+ v2? Two different aircraft.

Same aircraft...different controller
2023-9-25
Use props
djiuser_guhEpXFwqw2M
lvl.1

United States

Hi all, I have a dronetag RID module being delivered tomorrow.... is the best location to install on the Phantom 4 Pro on the legs as noted in the picture in this thread or is there a better location?
2023-9-26
Use props
djiuser_guhEpXFwqw2M
lvl.1

United States

Just to follow up on this, I ended up mounting the Beacon Mini here:
I will see if it causes any issues.

RemoteIDmodule.jpg
2023-9-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now