VIdeo Lag/Delay
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bill
lvl.3
Flight distance : 13946959 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello. Been flying for over a year now. Started out on a P2V+, now using a P3A. I have been having an issue with the FPV video lagging behind by anywhere from 3-5 seconds. I am using a second generation iPad Mini, an Anker 1ft. Lightning cable, and everything else is stock. Before the latest firmware update, I had an issue where my screen blacked out and never came back up. I never lost radio control of the craft and the return to home button on the controller worked as it was supposed to. Occasionally I would get video lag, but not all of the time. It happened more just after I recorded video. I hoped the latest firmware update would cure this "bug".  Yesterday I flew and while there was a lag, I checked for interference on the app. There were spikes of red on several different channels but they always dropped back to green. I was flying near a large water tower, so I figure that could have caused issues with interference, but I  had this happen also yesterday in an area where I wasn't around anything at all. (I was also within line of sight, about 150-200' Altitude)  The issue is most annoying when I am trying to film video because you cannot fly smooth when there is a lag in what you see and what the craft is doing. Any suggestions on where to start? I have even tried restarting the app while the craft is ready for take off but it hasn't helped. I have tried shutting everything down, including the iPad, and restarting everything. That doesn't help either.. The video and photos are not affected by this either, other than the overcorrection that occurs from my flying with the lag.   The only time I had this issue on the P2V+ is when I flew to the limits of the radio and wifi extender, but I realize the P3A uses different technology. Thanks in advance for your advice.
2015-8-21
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

My guess is that your Ipad is the issue due to processor jumble up. Make sure you turn off auto cache in the DJI Go app. It uses a great deal of processor power. I use Android and have a very tiny lag (a few milliseconds) on 3 different tablets and phones of varying ages and Os's. Maybe some Apple guys will chime in with some more suggestions. Try the auto cache first.
2015-8-21
Use props
bill
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-8-21 22:57
My guess is that your Ipad is the issue due to processor jumble up. Make sure you turn off auto cach ...

Thank you, I will give that a shot. Makes sense. I will let you know if that works.
2015-8-21
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

bill@prestondev Posted at 2015-8-21 23:36
Thank you, I will give that a shot. Makes sense. I will let you know if that works.

Good deal. When the tablet has to actively store all that information to your "storage" it puts a real drain on the resources. I am betting that will probably help a great deal. They are set up with caching "on". So if you didn't switch it off, I imagine that is the issue. Or the biggest part anyway. Good luck!
2015-8-21
Use props
bill
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-8-21 23:42
Good deal. When the tablet has to actively store all that information to your "storage" it puts a  ...

Okay. That definitely helped. So far so good. I flew for about 5 minutes outside of my office building and initially I flew with no SD card inserted. Response with the controls was spot on, and the video was about 1/2 second delay, which I would consider pretty normal. I landed, inserted the SD card, and the delay went up to about 3 seconds. I was hovering and maneuvering at about 5 foot altitude over an empty part of the parking lot. I shot up to about 100 feet and hovered and then the delay went away. I would most likely contribute the delay at this stage from being so close to the building. I will know for sure once I fly over some of our projects (I'm in the development business) and shoot some video.  Will update, but thanks for the great advice.  
2015-8-21
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

bill@prestondev Posted at 2015-8-22 01:29
Okay. That definitely helped. So far so good. I flew for about 5 minutes outside of my office buil ...

Hey Bill, I also read about enabling hardware acceleration. I am not sure if this is applicable to your gen Ipad but it's worth looking into.
2015-8-21
Use props
jlarcher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6827749 ft
  • >>>
United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-8-22 03:09
Hey Bill, I also read about enabling hardware acceleration. I am not sure if this is applicable to ...

I read that the settings should be:

iPad Mini – Hardware Decode OFF
iPhone 6+ - Hardware Decode ON

This is because of the processor in each device, the mini has a 7 and the 6+ has a 8.

2015-8-21
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

A main topic related to video lag:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-16777-1-1.html
2015-8-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now