Powering M3P up with folded arms
4573 14 2023-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Palliativo
lvl.3

Philippines

Hello. This is probably a dumb question but... is it a bad idea to power up my DJI Mini 3 Pro when arms are folded (and maybe with propeller holder strap attached)?

The reason is that I am downloading videos via USB cable and it would be so much easier to just power it up without having to unfold and fold the arms (and maybe removing/replacing the strap). I noted that when I power it up, the propellers move by few degrees.  
Thanks!

2023-3-18
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

it''s probably not the greatest idea particular when it's so easy to unfold the drone and remove all doubt.  just as you would with the gimbal protector.  however, i can assure you one thing:  dji is not so stupid to make a drone which will damage itself under warranty if powered up when not unfolded.  if that were the case, they would have disabled the power button.  same with the props. (flying under these conditions another story).  but i don't know anything about the warning messages or the verbiage which dji recommends because it's so much more worth it to me to just don't take any chances.  in any case, i always remove the microsd card, not cabling.
2023-3-18
Use props
Palliativo
lvl.3

Philippines

The Saint Posted at 3-18 20:20
it''s probably not the greatest idea particular when it's so easy to unfold the drone and remove all doubt.  just as you would with the gimbal protector.  however, i can assure you one thing:  dji is not so stupid to make a drone which will damage itself under warranty if powered up when not unfolded.  if that were the case, they would have disabled the power button.  same with the props. (flying under these conditions another story).  but i don't know anything about the warning messages or the verbiage which dji recommends because it's so much more worth it to me to just don't take any chances.  in any case, i always remove the microsd card, not cabling.

Many thanks Saint, I agree with you. I will continue unfolding the arms when I switch it on.
Thanks!
2023-3-18
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Palliativo Posted at 3-18 23:14
Many thanks Saint, I agree with you. I will continue unfolding the arms when I switch it on.
Thanks!

It can be powered up when folded without any untoward issues, one perfect example is the IMU calibration requires it to be folded
2023-3-18
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 3-18 20:20
it''s probably not the greatest idea particular when it's so easy to unfold the drone and remove all doubt.  just as you would with the gimbal protector.  however, i can assure you one thing:  dji is not so stupid to make a drone which will damage itself under warranty if powered up when not unfolded.  if that were the case, they would have disabled the power button.  same with the props. (flying under these conditions another story).  but i don't know anything about the warning messages or the verbiage which dji recommends because it's so much more worth it to me to just don't take any chances.  in any case, i always remove the microsd card, not cabling.

FYI It can be powered up when folded without any untoward issues, one perfect example is the IMU calibration requires it to be folded, the motor test is just to check they are there and working during power-up, perfectly fine to keep it folded.

Regarding the gimbal cover, v2 allows it to stay in place during start-up, v2 was made specifically for this very reason, so that it didn't need to be removed when transferring files or wotnot...
2023-3-18
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there. Thanks for the inquiry. Yes, you can keep the drone unfolded or folded when turning it on. Please don't forget to remove the gimbal protector before you turn it on to avoid any issues with your Mini 3 Pro. Should you have further questions, please let us know. Thank you.
2023-3-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 3-18 23:31
FYI It can be powered up when folded without any untoward issues, one perfect example is the IMU calibration requires it to be folded, the motor test is just to check they are there and working during power-up, perfectly fine to keep it folded.

Regarding the gimbal cover, v2 allows it to stay in place during start-up, v2 was made specifically for this very reason, so that it didn't need to be removed when transferring files or wotnot...

I have to add,  that the V2 gimbal cover is a delight to use,  my new Mini 3 Pro came with that and the difference is amazing.  
2023-3-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don't understand this wanting to transfer video via USB from a powered up drone, it's wasting battery power for something that can be done in other ways i.e. remove the card from the drone and put the card in a reader attached to the computer.
Aside from wasting battery power, isn't the Mini 3 prone to overheating if left sitting powered-up but not flying and isn't the common suggestion to direct the output of a fan over such a drone?
2023-3-19
Use props
Palliativo
lvl.3

Philippines

The reason is very simple, Sean-bumble-bee. I don't have a  micro sd card reader, I am on a tiny island in the Philippines and no way to buy it for the next few weeks.

How do I know if I have v2 gimbal protector? I looked up on google but don't seem to find much info on how to recognize it.
2023-3-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Palliativo Posted at 3-19 01:35
The reason is very simple, Sean-bumble-bee. I don't have a  micro sd card reader, I am on a tiny island in the Philippines and no way to buy it for the next few weeks.

Hi, Palliativo. Please see the image below:

The Gimbal Protector at the bottom would be the newer gimbal protector. Hope this helps.
2023-3-19
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The reason is very simple, Sean-bumble-bee. I don't have a  micro sd card reader, I am on a tiny island in the Philippines and no way to buy it for the next few weeks.

See reply 11, with the new one (bottom one) you can see that the ridges in the middle have gone, its those ridges that hold the gimbal snug, whereas the bottom  one (v2) does not hold it snug, therefore no strain on the motors

I reckon a lot of gimbal issues from new drones result from folk forgetting to remove the gimbal (v1) covers thus putting too much strain on the motors, this has been my thought all along but it is just my thoughts on it, nothing more...
2023-3-19
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It really isn't a good idea.  Much easier to pull the SD card and download the data using a card reader.
2023-3-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The reason is very simple, Sean-bumble-bee. I don't have a  micro sd card reader, I am on a tiny island in the Philippines and no way to buy it for the next few weeks.

That's a good enough reason but be careful of the drone overheating, I suggest you direct the output of a fan over and under the drone, to help cool the drone. I imagine the Philippines are quite warm, which would add to the likelyhood of over heating.

That said, I just noticed the comment about the strap. I would definitely remove the strap - so that the motors can twitch, and especially if you are using a tray type drone holder and strap as I would worry about the strap etc. adding to the ventilation restrictions. But, to be honest, I doubt undoing the strap and opening out the arms would take more than 15 seconds so it isn't a great hardship in the first place.

Ditto leaving the gimbal cover in place, that is likely to be another restriction to the ventilation.

In the second place, I doubt you would have to do it that many times in the next few weeks unless you are, for each flight, one by one, going to pack everything away, get to a computer and download the limagery.
2023-3-19
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 3-19 12:18
That's a good enough reason but be careful of the drone overheating, I suggest you direct the output of a fan over and under the drone, to help cool the drone. I imagine the Philippines are quite warm, which would add to the likelyhood of over heating.

That said, I just noticed the comment about the strap. I would definitely remove the strap - so that the motors can twitch, and especially if you are using a tray type drone holder and strap as I would worry about the strap etc. adding to the ventilation restrictions. But, to be honest, I doubt undoing the strap and opening out the arms would take more than 15 seconds so it isn't a great hardship in the first place.

I have to remove my gimbal cover (of which defeats the purpose when using the V2) purely because I still use the transport foam at the back of the camera, i didn't like the idea of the camera being all flippity floppity, i throw my backpack around a bit so better to be safe than sorry lol
2023-3-19
Use props
SpectreOne
lvl.3
Flight distance : 79659 ft
United States

Bashy Posted at 3-19 19:13
I have to remove my gimbal cover (of which defeats the purpose when using the V2) purely because I still use the transport foam at the back of the camera, i didn't like the idea of the camera being all flippity floppity, i throw my backpack around a bit so better to be safe than sorry lol

Completely agree on the flippity floppity piece. Good choice of words!
2023-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules