2551 18 2023-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GiGi4015
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hello all,

Hope you're having a nice day

Hope you can help me fix this issue I have.

I've noticed back in May of last year and all the following times that my Mini is tilted. Let me explain. When it hovers I can see that it's not perfectly level but it looks like it tilts to the left and specifically to the back left. So if I try a precision flight, let's say between a row in a vineyard, it won't go straight, but it will eventually vear slightly to the left as it goes along. At altitude, this is not noticeable, what is, instead, is the tilted horizon. I coped with it so far just by editing the video by rotating it in Premiere Pro but if possible I would like to fix it as it's a bit annoying.
I read other posts with a similar issue where they give you all the possible causes, and there are many! - gimbal, imu, propellers, motors, etc...
I kinda feel like it could be the power in the motors, maybe? or the propellers on that side? not being as powerful as the right side, hence the tilt towards the less powerful side but I'm not sure. Before I go on unscrewing propellers for new ones I wanted a few opinions.

Thanks!
2023-3-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you go to the website
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
you will find instruction concerning retrieving the flight logs, you might like to upload the .txt flight log of an affected flight to that site and post the resulting URL here.
Assuming the drone is a Mavic Mini it might also be useful to upload the corresponding .DAT flight log from the screen device to a file hosting site, make that page public and post a link to that page here.
The logs contain information about the drone's roll and pitch. The DATs contain information about the drone's motor speeds.

When you say the drone is tilted in a hover, is there any wind?  
Each motor is tilted and the rear arms are sloped, could you be confusing a tilted motor or sloping arm with a tilted drone?
Does the tilt of the left rear motor 'match' the amount of tilt of the right rear motor but in the opposite sideways sense? They might have the same fore/aft tilt.
Ditto the slopes of the rear arms?
Similarily, do the front motors 'match' each other? I think the front arms are not "sloped" but are they the same as each other?

From memory front and rear motor tilts differ.

2023-3-19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had a similar problem back when I owned the Mini and I tried all the various troubleshooting tips but I finally solved the tilt by replacing all 4 props.  
2023-3-19
Use props
120ccpm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

First, check if the gimbal is free to move in all directions and there is no binding or friction. Then make sure that all the gimbal rubber grommets are in the proper position (look carefully, move the gimbal a little bit to make sure each grommet is firmly attached to the aircraft body and the gimbal). Then find a perfectly level surface and do an IMU calibration followed by a gimbal calibration. If you still have a tilted horizon and it's always tilted in the same direction, you can try to correct it with a manual gimbal calibration (if I recall correctly, there is an option for horizon level).
2023-3-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please confirm if you experienced a hard landing before? In addition, does the gimbal calibration sort the issue? Please have a test flight after the calibration and please upload a video showing the issue if the issue persists. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2023-3-19
Use props
GiGi4015
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thank you all. I did all the calibrations but the problem is the drone itself. When it hovers right in front of me it’s not level, I can see it’s banking to the left. It’s stable, it doesn’t fluctuate or anything, it’s just wonky. That’s why I’m thinking it might be the props or the motors. I will try and take a video of it soon.
2023-3-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A flight log or both the txt & DAT light logs?
2023-3-19
Use props
120ccpm
lvl.4
United States

GiGi4015 Posted at 3-19 22:11
Thank you all. I did all the calibrations but the problem is the drone itself. When it hovers right in front of me it’s not level, I can see it’s banking to the left. It’s stable, it doesn’t fluctuate or anything, it’s just wonky. That’s why I’m thinking it might be the props or the motors. I will try and take a video of it soon.

This does not makes sense to me, I don't see a correlation between a tilted aircraft and a tilted horizon in the videos.

First of all, the gimbal is supposed to keep the camera perfectly level no matter what's the orientation of the aircraft. If you have a tilted horizon in the video, I'd say there is an issue with the gimbal. If the angle is constant, then you should be able to correct it with manual calibration.

Second, drones cannot remain stationary if they are banked... tilting is how they move! Even if motors or props are uneven, the flight controller would do what it needs to to keep the aircraft level. The only situation where you see a drone hovering at an angle is when motors are not symmetrically oriented. This is not uncommon front/rear (some racing drones are designed this way, so they fly relatively level at speed), but to my knowledge it never happens left/right. If your Mini is really hovering at an angle (indoor, total absence of wind) I'd say something is out of whack... like an arm that is twisted or doesn't fully extend.
2023-3-20
Use props
GiGi4015
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I’m sorry, english is not my first language and I may not know how to express myself in drone technical terms. As soon as I can I will upload the logs and somehow upload a video.
Thanks so much for the help so far
2023-3-20
Use props
120ccpm
lvl.4
United States

GiGi4015 Posted at 3-20 10:45
I’m sorry, english is not my first language and I may not know how to express myself in drone technical terms. As soon as I can I will upload the logs and somehow upload a video.
Thanks so much for the help so far

I'll keep it simple: pick a room in your house with sufficient space, turn on all the lights, close all doors and windows, make sure the air is perfectly calm, then take off, hover for a minute without touching the controls, and land.
1. Was the aircraft still banked (tilted left or right) when hovering?
2. Was the image (video feed) on your mobile device tilted?
2023-3-21
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

GiGi4015 Posted at 3-19 22:11

Please keep us posted with the video so we can help you further. Please don't forget to hit the "reply" button when you respond so we can be notified. Have a nice day ahead.
2023-4-13
Use props
GiGi4015
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-13 03:06
Please keep us posted with the video so we can help you further. Please don't forget to hit the "reply" button when you respond so we can be notified. Have a nice day ahead.

I’ll do it this weekend. I want to try and fix it before my next holiday
2023-4-13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

GiGi4015 Posted at 4-13 03:42
I’ll do it this weekend. I want to try and fix it before my next holiday

No worries, please let us know as soon as you did the test. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Stay safe.
2023-4-14
Use props
GiGi4015
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hello, Sorry it took a while but here are a few logs (I think) and maybe a picture

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/0ZA3YE8OXWUSX4TFITH7
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/11GJ0KOGZ3ALZA87K0XZ
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/9TQSTUXHRDJLRKH8D96Z

wonky horizon

wonky horizon
2023-4-16
Use props
GiGi4015
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-14 01:01
No worries, please let us know as soon as you did the test. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Stay safe.

Can anyone help then?
The log seems normal but I don’t really understand what I’m looking for.
2023-4-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

GiGi4015 Posted at 4-20 23:49
Can anyone help then?
The log seems normal but I don’t really understand what I’m looking for.

Do you have the original video that was saved on the SD card? Please upload it via Google drive and send the link here. Thank you.
2023-4-21
Use props
costas_
lvl.2
Greece

I have the same issue with my Mini 2 and since my last flight I have as well a gimbal calibration error (40041). What a gift !
I tried every workaround, manual/auto calibration or fix found in youtube/dji forum/internet sites and the issue with the tilted horizon remains. It’s very annoying
2023-4-21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Unless I have mixed up drone models you can, VIA THE APP, 'manually' adjust the gimbal's roll. I can't remember where in the menus the adjustment is found, sorry.

With regards to drone tilt, to see anything in the logs you would need to hover the drone in a completely windless environment i.e. indoors with no drafts and away from walls. This was detailed in post #10 by 120ccpm, even then I think an overlying tilt will be difficult to spot. The room and 'floor' MUST be well lit and the 'floor' beneath the drone need a  solid, stationary, distinct pattern or target, anything flapping in the field of view of the drone's sensors will cause the drone to wobble significantly. Avoid touching the control sticks whilst it is hovering,.... unless the drone is drifting.
I think that if the drone does have a side tilt it will drift in the direction of the low side.

How are you judging aiming the drone up the gap between rows of vines?
2023-4-21
Use props
120ccpm
lvl.4
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-21 09:42
Unless I have mixed up drone models you can, VIA THE APP, 'manually' adjust the gimbal's roll. I can't remember where in the menus the adjustment is found, sorry.

With regards to drone tilt, to see anything in the logs you would need to hover the drone in a completely windless environment i.e. indoors with no drafts and away from walls. This was detailed in post #10 by 120ccpm, even then I think an overlying tilt will be difficult to spot. The room and 'floor' MUST be well lit and the 'floor' beneath the drone need a  solid, stationary, distinct pattern or target, anything flapping in the field of view of the drone's sensors will cause the drone to wobble significantly. Avoid touching the control sticks whilst it is hovering,.... unless the drone is drifting.

I tried to explain that but my suggestions seem to fall flat... maybe it's a language barrier. He keeps saying that the issue is not the gimbal, but rather the aircraft that hovers at an angle, which I find very hard to believe unless something is seriously out of whack. And even if the aircraft flies tilted, the gimbal should keep the camera level, so what he says makes little sense to me. If the videos always have the horizon tilted the same way, manually adjusting the gimbal roll is likely all he needs to do...
2023-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules