Anti-Collision lights
2406 19 2023-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
striperseeker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10827 ft
United States

Now that Part 107 can fly at night without waivers, does anyone have any recommendations for the best anti-collision lights for an Air 2s??
I assume they need to be seen "all around" light the stern light of a vessel at sea. Most of the ones I see for sale shine upwards.
Any help would be appreciated.
TIA
Mark
This is cross posted in accessories, but I didn't get any responses.

2023-3-19
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

You will get many different responses, but the very best is the Arc 5 from Firehouse Technology, Amazon about $34.  https://www.amazon.com/Firehouse ... aps%2C92&sr=8-2
2023-3-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have an ArcV, if you get one BE CERTAIN to NEVER have it flash in your eyesight or anyone else's for that matter when it is close!!!!!!!
Their light emission is probably fairly close to hemispherical.
That can make switching them off tricky lol.
2023-3-19
Use props
striperseeker
lvl.2
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 3-19 09:01
You will get many different responses, but the very best is the Arc 5 from Firehouse Technology, Amazon about $34.  https://www.amazon.com/Firehouse-Technology-Strobe-Anti-Collision-Lumens/dp/B08F6YWPSW/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1DSRITNK3DGMQ&keywords=arc+5+strobe&qid=1679245272&sprefix=arc+5+strobe%2Caps%2C92&sr=8-2

I was going to get two of those - one for top and one for aft section.
Would you know the difference between the Arc V 1000 lumen vs the 800 lumen, other than the brightness? Seems odd they would make another version just 200 lumens brighter (or dimmer, depending) and nothing else.
Thanks
2023-3-19
Use props
striperseeker
lvl.2
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 3-19 09:47
I have an ArcV, if you get one BE CERTAIN to NEVER have it flash in your eyesight or anyone else's for that matter when it is close!!!!!!!
Their light emission is probably fairly close to hemispherical.
That can make switching them off tricky lol.

Yes, I could imagine it would ruin your night vision quickly and for a good long while.
I wish these could be integrated into the craft and operated via the RC.
2023-3-19
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

You don't need two. For the back, I would use an Arc 2.https://www.amazon.com/Firehouse ... ps%2C86&sr=8-38
2023-3-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

striperseeker Posted at 3-19 09:59
Yes, I could imagine it would ruin your night vision quickly and for a good long while.
I wish these could be integrated into the craft and operated via the RC.

Lord knows how blinding they would be in the dark, they are bad enough during the day lol.
2023-3-19
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

It you need more than one, you are going overboard.

Place one on top.  It will be seen.
2023-3-19
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 3-19 11:56
It you need more than one, you are going overboard.

Place one on top.  It will be seen.

Not really. Arc V on top for strobe/visibility, Arc II on back for orientation. A single doesn't help the pilot much.
2023-3-19
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

i actually put 3 on my drone and yeah it's super bright but when the drone is half a mile away, it's nice to see a single flashing white light when the drone is facing away or see red/green when facing towards you.  while you do see all 3 colors when closer, if you really get out there you can see just one main color from the side.  in the middle of the night when it's super dark, you cannot have strobes that are too bright but then again, they are all pretty bright.  if you fly upwards of 150 or higher, you're not going to freak anyone out.  arc v i have are only one color each and it sounds to me like if you get the multi-color strobe, it's less lumens...maybe, i dunno.  i have many types of strobe and to be honest, you don't need to pay for a whole lot to get something that works well.  i dont expect a manned aircraft to see these or pay attention to them and i don't believe they will ever prevent a collision imo.

2023-3-19
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 3-19 13:02
Not really. Arc V on top for strobe/visibility, Arc II on back for orientation. A single doesn't help the pilot much.

Perhaps, however I have always found orientation quite easy to determine with a single light.  Push stick forward and it will either get larger or smaller, or move left or right.  : )

I think people can over-do it with lighting payloads.
2023-3-19
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 3-19 15:45
i actually put 3 on my drone and yeah it's super bright but when the drone is half a mile away, it's nice to see a single flashing white light when the drone is facing away or see red/green when facing towards you.  while you do see all 3 colors when closer, if you really get out there you can see just one main color from the side.  in the middle of the night when it's super dark, you cannot have strobes that are too bright but then again, they are all pretty bright.  if you fly upwards of 150 or higher, you're not going to freak anyone out.  arc v i have are only one color each and it sounds to me like if you get the multi-color strobe, it's less lumens...maybe, i dunno.  i have many types of strobe and to be honest, you don't need to pay for a whole lot to get something that works well.  i dont expect a manned aircraft to see these or pay attention to them and i don't believe they will ever prevent a collision imo.

[view_image]

That is an impressive collection of lights!
2023-3-19
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 3-19 17:16
That is an impressive collection of lights!

thanks, i've overdone it a bit but having several drones, id rather just have different lights and mounts for each one.  the firehousetechnology lights are the best ones!
2023-3-19
Use props
striperseeker
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 3-19 15:45
i actually put 3 on my drone and yeah it's super bright but when the drone is half a mile away, it's nice to see a single flashing white light when the drone is facing away or see red/green when facing towards you.  while you do see all 3 colors when closer, if you really get out there you can see just one main color from the side.  in the middle of the night when it's super dark, you cannot have strobes that are too bright but then again, they are all pretty bright.  if you fly upwards of 150 or higher, you're not going to freak anyone out.  arc v i have are only one color each and it sounds to me like if you get the multi-color strobe, it's less lumens...maybe, i dunno.  i have many types of strobe and to be honest, you don't need to pay for a whole lot to get something that works well.  i dont expect a manned aircraft to see these or pay attention to them and i don't believe they will ever prevent a collision imo.

[view_image]

Yes, I contacted Fire House Tech and they said the non-white LEDs are less bright (800 vs 1000 lumens) due to the colors. My Air 2S has red and green already so I don't know if I need colored strobes.  I'm thinking like a stern light on my boat - 360 white all around.  But being 150-200 ft up makes seeing the one on top difficult, I would think. Hence the need for more than one location.
The V is totally waterproof as well.
2023-3-20
Use props
striperseeker
lvl.2
United States

I'm thinking of going away from the WHITE and going with green or red. I know red and green are traditionally position markers (red=port; green=starbord) but the white really really f's with your night vision for a long time.  The FAA under § 107.29 Operation at night does not specify color. Green and red are much less hazardous to your night vision.

Any thoughts?
2023-3-20
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

striperseeker Posted at 3-20 10:32
I'm thinking of going away from the WHITE and going with green or red. I know red and green are traditionally position markers (red=port; green=starbord) but the white really really f's with your night vision for a long time.  The FAA under § 107.29 Operation at night does not specify color. Green and red are much less hazardous to your night vision.

For Part 107 the FAA does not specify color, but they DO specify that it be visible for 3 miles. Do the colored ones comply?
2023-3-20
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

striperseeker Posted at 3-20 10:32

the white light is not all that bright over the red/green; only some.  if you light up any of these inside the car at night, you'll have night vision issues with all 3 colors but it is very temporary.  after i get everything set up and the aircraft ready to take off, the last step would be to activate each strobe by feel (while looking away) then step away for a distance and observe making sure everything is flash; then take off.  shouldn't be an issue.  this was awhile back but buying 2 separate or the 3-pack make more sense.
2023-3-20
Use props
striperseeker
lvl.2
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 3-20 10:56
For Part 107 the FAA does not specify color, but they DO specify that it be visible for 3 miles. Do the colored ones comply?

yes, according to Fire House Tech, they all do. The color LEDs are 800 lumens. The white 1000. All 107.29 compliant.
2023-3-20
Use props
striperseeker
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 3-20 10:57
the white light is not all that bright over the red/green; only some.  if you light up any of these inside the car at night, you'll have night vision issues with all 3 colors but it is very temporary.  after i get everything set up and the aircraft ready to take off, the last step would be to activate each strobe by feel (while looking away) then step away for a distance and observe making sure everything is flash; then take off.  shouldn't be an issue.  this was awhile back but buying 2 separate or the 3-pack make more sense.

white light, regardless of intensity, bleaches the rods much more than red or green wavelenghts. Recovery time to full night vision if more than double when stunted by white light.
2023-3-20
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

2023-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules