Brand new Mini 2 SE Kept Ascending & Crashed
1956 34 2023-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chasabi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5417 ft

United Kingdom

Brand new drone user. My drone only arrived yesterday. I was playing with it in the garden today and tried the "rocket" quick shot. The drone took on a mind of its own and continued flying upwards. It wouldn't respond to any controller commands. I tried to cancel the quick shot but it continued to rise. I held the RTH button but nothing happened. I pressed the land button on the app, but I could see on the live view that it was getting higher and higher. Then it suddenly descended at speed, bounced off of a neighbouring house and landed in their garden. What the hell!? Only my 2nd flight and it went mental. Why? Also, can I get it replaced as it is now completely broken. This was certainly a technical fault as nothing I pressed on the app or controller related to what the actual drone did.
2023-3-21
Use props
Chasabi
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Here are the logs. It suggests to me that there was a GPS error. I saw no warning on the screen until it was so high that it started complaining about wind speed. The IMU altitudes around 1m50s suggests that it thinks the altitude was a negative value!

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/7N7HMCMZLU73L16Q6RVI/
2023-3-21
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Chasabi Posted at 3-21 13:18
Here are the logs. It suggests to me that there was a GPS error. I saw no warning on the screen until it was so high that it started complaining about wind speed. The IMU altitudes around 1m50s suggests that it thinks the altitude was a negative value!

The first warning message I see is the barometer failure.  Sounds like you had a bad drone.  I would set it up for replacement with DJI.
2023-3-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Here are the logs. It suggests to me that there was a GPS error. I saw no warning on the screen until it was so high that it started complaining about wind speed. The IMU altitudes around 1m50s suggests that it thinks the altitude was a negative value!

It suggests to me that there was a GPS error.
GPS is not used for measuring or controlling height.
Those messages don't indicate a problem and have nothing to do with the incident.

But there are error messages that do explain the issue.
At 1:17 this message showed (and many times after):
Barometer initialization failed. Restart aircraft (Code: 30042).
The barometric sensor is what the drone uses to give its height.
If the barometric sensor is not working properly, neither is the height indication.
2023-3-21
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 835725 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Chasbi

Sorry for your loss, not a great start.

Agree with Labroides, barometer problems.

Open a ticket with Dji.

2023-3-21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Oh boy what a nightmare flight.
Were you shoot video?
Any idea how high it went?
2023-3-21
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Pleomax Posted at 3-21 14:33
Hi Chasbi

is that FRAP?
2023-3-21
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the incident that happened on the unit. I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis.  You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support . Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-3-21
Use props
Chasabi
lvl.1

United Kingdom

TonyPHX Posted at 3-21 15:35
is that FRAP?

What is FRAP?
2023-3-21
Use props
Chasabi
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Pleomax Posted at 3-21 14:33
Hi Chasbi

Hi, thanks for replying. Those are some interesting graphs. What program are you using to see those?
2023-3-21
Use props
Chasabi
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thank you for the replies and putting my mind at ease. I was concerned that I'd just blow £500 and that DJI would blame me and I'd end up out of pocket

From what you have all said, it looks like a drone issue. I sincerely hope they send a replacement as I've not even had a chance to enjoy using it (and probably become addicted and spend all my money on drones!).
2023-3-21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Assuming you are going to make a warranty claim I would suggest you copy all the .txt flight logs to computer or some form of external memory. Ditto the DAT flight logs if they are still on you screen phone, if they exist they should be in the MCDatFlightRecords folder in the FilghtRecord folder where you found the .txt flight logs.
Dji might want the DAT's and it is handy to have a copy available in external memory.

It might be worth seeing if CsvView can read the Mini 2 SE's DAT from the phone.
2023-3-21
Use props
Chasabi
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 3-21 23:10
Assuming you are going to make a warranty claim I would suggest you copy all the .txt flight logs to computer or some form of external memory. Ditto the DAT flight logs if they are still on you screen phone, if they exist they should be in the MCDatFlightRecords folder in the FilghtRecord folder where you found the .txt flight logs.
Dji might want the DAT's and it is handy to have a copy available in external memory.

I submitted a replacement claim yesterday. It's still in "accepted" state. I'm assuming they can access the flight logs to see what happened? I've taken a backup of the FlightRecord folder to my Google Drive, just in case.
2023-3-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Chasabi Posted at 3-21 23:29
I submitted a replacement claim yesterday. It's still in "accepted" state. I'm assuming they can access the flight logs to see what happened? I've taken a backup of the FlightRecord folder to my Google Drive, just in case.

Hi, there. Please rest assured, we will check your problem and keep you updated via Email after receiving your Mini 2 SE. We also noticed that we have sent you the shipping label, may we know if you received it already?
2023-3-22
Use props
Chasabi
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 3-22 02:00
Hi, there. Please rest assured, we will check your problem and keep you updated via Email after receiving your Mini 2 SE. We also noticed that we have sent you the shipping label, may we know if you received it already?

Hi Natalia, I have received the emails with the instructions and UPS delivery labels. I'm printing them now and will have the item on it's way back to you this afternoon.
Thank you.
2023-3-22
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Chasabi Posted at 3-22 02:19
Hi Natalia, I have received the emails with the instructions and UPS delivery labels. I'm printing them now and will have the item on it's way back to you this afternoon.
Thank you.

You are welcome, thanks for your understanding and updated information as well.
Please feel free to contact us if you need any support during the whole repair process.
2023-3-22
Use props
Chasabi
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 3-22 03:13
You are welcome, thanks for your understanding and updated information as well.
Please feel free to contact us if you need any support during the whole repair process.

Thank you. Could I ask how long you expect this process to take? I bought the drone specifically to take to a friends wedding to get some nice cinematic shots for them. The wedding is April 7th.

Personally I believe you should ship me a new drone ASAP. I am extremely disappointed that a brand new product, purchased from a reputable company, could malfunction so catastrophically. I am now £500 out of pocket and do not possess a drone!
2023-3-22
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

@Chasabi - I am with you on this one.  Even the log files scream of a defect.  You are not being unreasonable.  DJI will need that broken one back though, but I wouldn't worry - they turn them around pretty fast.

One thing - on the wedding - remember to not let the drone become a distraction to the special day.  Capture the memories, don't make them.  : )
2023-3-22
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

no......   ;-)  post #32 = FRAP
2023-3-22
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Curious to know how you powered on your drone, 8.9 seconds before this flight in another log.
What happend??

But DJI should change their messages....
"Barometer initialization failed. Restart aircraft....."  while in flight !
Should read  "Barometer initialization failed. LAND ASAP !!"

Best to read the messages on the screen and act on that.

cheers
JJB    [ Chart by FRAP ; the 'best' software for flightlog analysis ]

analysis1.png
2023-3-22
Use props
Chasabi
lvl.1

United Kingdom

TonyPHX Posted at 3-22 06:00
@Chasabi - I am with you on this one.  Even the log files scream of a defect.  You are not being unreasonable.  DJI will need that broken one back though, but I wouldn't worry - they turn them around pretty fast.

One thing - on the wedding - remember to not let the drone become a distraction to the special day.  Capture the memories, don't make them.  : )

Thanks @TonyPHX

It's not like they are cheap toys is it I got the Mini2 SE with a view to upgrading to a Mini 3 if I really enjoy drone flying. Or is it drone piloting?

Thanks for the tip That is an excellent point. Although based on my current experience, I'll just be glad if the drone doesn't fly off with the bride
2023-3-22
Use props
Chasabi
lvl.1

United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 3-22 06:46
Hi,

Curious to know how you powered on your drone, 8.9 seconds before this flight in another log.

Hi JJB,

I don't understand... how did I power on the drone 8.9 seconds before this flight? With the power button. Sorry, I'm not sure what you're getting at. Do you want me to upload logs of another flight?

There were no messages on screen that I saw, not until the "strong wind" warnings, but by then it was off in the clouds and completely unresponsive. If there was an issue with the barometer, surely the drone should've refused to fly until the user has actioned or acknowledged an error message.
2023-3-22
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Chasabi Posted at 3-22 06:55
Hi JJB,

I don't understand... how did I power on the drone 8.9 seconds before this flight? With the power button. Sorry, I'm not sure what you're getting at. Do you want me to upload logs of another flight?

Hi Chasabi,

Your flightlog started with already 8.7 seconds in the first record.
Normally first record starts at zero.

Is there another short log on your device?

Not all messages are shown on the screen, but i  assume this kind of messages are shown.

I always fly with a screen recording active, nice to see what i have missed on the screen while watching the drone in the sky. (some message pops up and dissapear again....)
At takeoff the baro height is set to zero, in you log in goes direct into a minus value.A first sign of a barometric fail. ( but wich remote pilot does a check on this....put in on your before take-off checklist )

cheers
JJB   [ Charts by FRAP ; the 'best' software for flightlog analysis ]

analysis2.png
2023-3-22
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi TonyPHX

Not FRAP, it's an Excel addin I am developing.

It's not a stand alone program, requires Excel and the downloaded Phantomhelp decoded csv.

It displays the animated flight as it happens and has charts to see the data in different form.
2023-3-22
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Chasabi Posted at 3-21 22:26
Hi, thanks for replying. Those are some interesting graphs. What program are you using to see those?

Hi Chasabi

See post #24

Hope your new Mini 2 SE lasts a few flights longer.

Fly safe  
2023-3-22
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Chasabi Posted at 3-21 22:26

Hi Chasabi

See post #27

Hope your new Mini 2 SE lasts a few flights longer.

Fly safe  
2023-3-22
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

FRAP is....

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;extra=#pid2023752

Cheers
JJB
2023-3-22
Use props
Chasabi
lvl.1

United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 3-22 07:26
Hi Chasabi,

Your flightlog started with already 8.7 seconds in the first record.
[Image]

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/8QS5QXBNOFWSOMVEACK6/

This is the log just before that one. I'm not sure if it shows any useful info.

Good tip on the screen recording. I'll use that in future. I'm an Android user, which screen recording app do you use?
2023-3-22
Use props
Chasabi
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Pleomax Posted at 3-22 07:43
Hi Chasabi

See post #27

Thanks

Yes I hope my future flights are much more successful
2023-3-22
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Chasabi Posted at 3-22 11:31

This is the log just before that one. I'm not sure if it shows any useful info.

Newer versions of Android have a builtin screen recdorder. Search your settings.
2023-3-22
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Chasabi Posted at 3-22 11:31

This is the log just before that one. I'm not sure if it shows any useful info.

i use DU screen recorder.

Not sure if it is still available in the store, will check if i have to original file.
PM you the link tomorrow.

Check the log too, next day

cheers
JJB
2023-3-22
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

JJB* Posted at 3-22 06:41
no......   ;-)  post #32 = FRAP

I didn't think so.  I just had never seen a analysis tool like that, and wondered if there was a secret FRAP screen I was not seeing.  

I the case of this log, I could not get it to covert ok and work in FRAP. (EDIT, I downloaded again and tried and this time it worked so I must have messed up something.- FRAP worked great!)This is one heck of a log to try to make sense of in FRAP.  That was one whacked out drone.
2023-3-22
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Pleomax Posted at 3-22 07:27
Hi TonyPHX

Not FRAP, it's an Excel addin I am developing.

Understood.  Sounds like a fun project!
2023-3-22
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Chasabi Posted at 3-22 05:18
Thank you. Could I ask how long you expect this process to take? I bought the drone specifically to take to a friends wedding to get some nice cinematic shots for them. The wedding is April 7th.

Personally I believe you should ship me a new drone ASAP. I am extremely disappointed that a brand new product, purchased from a reputable company, could malfunction so catastrophically. I am now £500 out of pocket and do not possess a drone!

Thanks for your reply.
It takes approx. 5-7 business days to repair your product after arriving at the DJI Service Center. Rest assured that you will receive an email notification after each step of the service process is complete. We will also ask the team to handle it asap and keep you updated.
Thanks again for your patience and understanding.
2023-3-22
Use props
cyan
Ban Posts
Flight distance : 202326 ft
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
1-7 16:40
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules