AVATA upgraded with3.5 frame and motors
10365 20 2023-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Georgero
lvl.3
Flight distance : 39 ft
United States

I just finished installing the 3.5 " Frame and the C157-2 motors on my AVATA and I can tell already this will be a lot of fun.
I can't wait to fly it tomorrow. So far is looking good I fly it only inside but not too much just to see everything is working properly. I do not recommend it to those who do not know how to solder because are a few things needed to be soldered plus the motors. It looks better than I expected and is sturdy. I will be back with more input after I fly it in the field.
IMG_20230321_213823580.jpg
IMG_20230321_213834619.jpg
IMG_20230321_213904408.jpg
2023-3-21
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

We are very curious!  
And also tell something about the possible flight duration that you now achieve...   
2023-3-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That looks nice, how does it fly?
2023-3-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Curious how easy that was to install,  especially the new motors.  I assume soldering was involved.  
2023-3-21
Use props
alfiosky
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2799403 ft
Italy

Wow! Very clean work up there! Very curious about new flight performance after the frame mod!
2023-3-21
Use props
Georgero
lvl.3
United States

Hi. I try to answer your questions here. First, the time involving this mod depends on your skills. Take me 2 hours. The most difficult part is desoldering and soldering the new motors which were over 1 hour because I have to cut the wires a few times to get them to the right length. I didn't want to cut the wire from the old motors and then extend it with the new ones. I just wanted a clean install directly on the ESC board. You have to desolder and solder the power connector with new longer wires and then the last soldering involves is the USB extension which is 4 wires. Everything is included in the kit the only thing is you have to cut all the wires to the right length. The rest follow the first video
To me was kinda easy because I am working with electronics all day but I am sure you can do it too.
The second video is the test flight they did before they release the frame
But I will do my own as well I am at work now but I will fly in this afternoon.I forgot to mention there is no software or any tweaks involved in this mod it is straightforward.

2023-3-22
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice job with that kit.  Will be interesting to see how much performance difference you get.
2023-3-22
Use props
Georgero
lvl.3
United States

OK. First impressions about this mod. In manual mode, this is a beast in no way I can compare it with the original edition. No tumbles at all I try the hardest turns and take them as a charm. Timewise in the manual is a downturn it takes me 8 min to 20% of the battery and I push it another 2 min until 3%
In Sport mode, 14 min top I should say 12 min to be more precise, the speed is not so impressive it is different from the original but not by a lot.
Manual mode has no difference at all but the time is 15 min.
Pros: Manual mode no questions is really good. Smooth and steady in sharp turns. tumbles eliminated no more worries.
          Noise wise is slightly quiet than the original it sounds much better.
Cons: Here you go. I tried many angles of the camera the frame still shows in the video when you brake or get fast turns. If you go slow there is no problem but still will show when you come to stop.
           They have to work on that maybe bringing the camera forward in some way. I will try to design a different mount.
            The sd card needs to be inserted before you complete the frame installation and forget about it. You will be able to move the footage via the USB port. They have to make a cut-out in the frame to make it
            easier to remove the sd card.
That's all for now. If I find something else I will report it here.
2023-3-22
Use props
Georgero
lvl.3
United States

I have to design this extension to bring the camera forward because I didn't like the idea to have the frame in my view. Now is perfect. I know that if you fly with a GoPro or other camera that will not show in the video but it is annoying to see it in the goggles all the time it is distracting. If you fly in manual and set up the camera at 24 -25 degrees that is fine. You still see the frame but not as much as in others modes.
2023-3-23
Use props
Ntduy030190
New
Vietnam

I heard about "unstable" problem in some fpv groups on FB in my country. The Avata with Axis 3.5 kit installed could not hold itself stable even in N mode. Beside, people constantly getting "motor overload" warning, so maybe there's problem between the Avata power output and Axis's motors ?
2023-3-28
Use props
Georgero
lvl.3
United States

Ntduy030190 Posted at 3-28 09:45
I heard about "unstable" problem in some fpv groups on FB in my country. The Avata with Axis 3.5 kit installed could not hold itself stable even in N mode. Beside, people constantly getting "motor overload" warning, so maybe there's problem between the Avata power output and Axis's motors ?

I have no problem with the stability it is steady rock for me. Motor overload I have a few times only in manual mode never in sport or normal mode and I think the ESC is limited by DJI at a certain level.
I was annoyed by the frame showing in my view but I fix that by bringing the camera forward. Now I am pretty impressed. I will see how the 2.9 frame they said is coming soon to be used wit c157 motors.
2023-3-28
Use props
djiuser_LwSFOX527iji
lvl.1
Flight distance : 49541 ft
Brazil

Georgero Posted at 3-23 08:48
I have to design this extension to bring the camera forward because I didn't like the idea to have the frame in my view. Now is perfect. I know that if you fly with a GoPro or other camera that will not show in the video but it is annoying to see it in the goggles all the time it is[view_image][view_image][view_image][view_image] distracting. If you fly in manual and set up the camera at 24 -25 degrees that is fine. You still see the frame but not as much as in others modes.
Olá amigo, tudo bem?
você poderia passar o arquivo desse 3d ? Achei sensacional a ideia. Gostaria de colocar no meu   dji Avata 3.5 também.
2023-5-31
Use props
Koolada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 877999 ft
Germany

So you basicly invested 2 hours upgrading to the new motors fixing a problem for DJI wasting the warranty which is the only good part about the Avata and you cant even repair it because you don't get the spares without the possibility even sending it in because DJI will Just say No No you modded it WE wont Touch it or Charge you enormous bills?

And you moved the camera more infront so it will be Like 100% sure damged which you also cant Swap by yourself if you Crash?

How much did the motors and frame cost you?

Would ask myself If it wouldnt be smarter just building your own drone or buying a bnf If you already got the skills and tools doing this mod?

Sorry but basicly thats exactly what you did but you buildet something thats electronic is Not Made for the Motors and is not repairable by yourself and the accus cost Like 6x what a 6s battery would cost?

I Like what you did don't get me wrong but what is the Point in doing this?
2023-5-31
Use props
George Voicu
lvl.2

United States

Koolada Posted at 5-31 23:57
So you basicly invested 2 hours upgrading to the new motors fixing a problem for DJI wasting the warranty which is the only good part about the Avata and you cant even repair it because you don't get the spares without the possibility even sending it in because DJI will Just say No No you modded it WE wont Touch it or Charge you enormous bills?

And you moved the camera more infront so it will be Like 100% sure damged which you also cant Swap by yourself if you Crash?

I did it just for fun. I bought 5 Avatas (crashed) for $260 a piece and I decided to modify one just to see how it works. So far nothing happened and is still in one piece. It is faster it is more agile than the factory one and it is stable in sharp turns. To change the camera take me 20 min it is not impossible as you said but so far is not the case. I don't need any warranty coverage for my drones because I can fix them myself.
Even though I have a warranty on it I can spend 2 more hours and revers anything I did and send it to DJI for a repair or replacement. They will never know what I did to that drone. But I don't need that.
Sometimes I have a warning about motor overload but that goes away in a second nothing to worry. I checked the motors to see if are overheating but so far they act like normal.
If you keep the stock one and you can't enjoy flying in manual mode because it will crash at the first sharp turn and you have to send it a few times back that is not fun at all. Even if you change only the motors with C157 and keep everything stock you have a better drone. I have both setups and I can tell the difference. I reccomend upgrading the motors with C157 to all of you.
2023-6-1
Use props
zippomakerhotmail.com
lvl.2
Flight distance : 119390 ft
Italy

Honestly how much less battery life? by how many minutes will the flight time be reduced? thanks
2023-6-9
Use props
George Voicu
lvl.2

United States

zippomakerhotmail.com Posted at 6-9 02:42
Honestly how much less battery life? by how many minutes will the flight time be reduced? thanks

The total min in manual mode and with a DJI Action 2 camera is 7-8 min. Without camera 11 - 13 min.
In normal mode 14 min
2023-6-9
Use props
George Voicu
lvl.2

United States

djiuser_LwSFOX527iji Posted at 5-31 18:09
Olá amigo, tudo bem?
você poderia passar o arquivo desse 3d ? Achei sensacional a ideia. Gostaria de colocar no meu   dji Avata 3.5 também.

I am sorry to be so late but here it is. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5930471
2023-6-19
Use props
djiuser_19aSkarjATTg
New

Vietnam

Hi did you have to recalibrate or adjust any settings after the switch? Also can we use the motion controller with this or does it have to be the regular controller?
2023-7-24
Use props
George Voicu
lvl.2

United States

djiuser_19aSkarjATTg Posted at 7-24 06:39
Hi did you have to recalibrate or adjust any settings after the switch? Also can we use the motion controller with this or does it have to be the regular controller?

You don't have to do any adjustments or change any settings. You can use both controllers without any problems.
2023-7-24
Use props
djiuser_19aSkarjATTg
New

Vietnam

George Voicu Posted at 7-24 11:04
You don't have to do any adjustments or change any settings. You can use both controllers without any problems.

I do not know what is wrong but my husband did the upgrade but as soon as hits the red button to get the drone to lift up it goes shooting up at full speed and he can’t lower the throttle. He can only turn it completely off and let it drop.
2023-7-25
Use props
Sierra FPV
New

United States

Whatbis the best motor rites for my avata axis 3.5??
4-9 07:53
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules